ACN Latitudes Forums

Does anyone have any updates on this TS study?

This study has been going on since March 2009 by spanish researchers using Magnesium and vitamin B6 for tics.

They still seem to be in controlled trials but should be done already imo. Does anyone have any updates? There's a free text of the entire study available and there's alot of interesting bio-chemistry possibly related to TS explained.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19284553

PS. I tried mailing 2 of the authors but have gotten no reply. Possibly they don't use those mail accounts anymore

I dont know of that study Jens but I do know that Bonnie Grimaldi's research was enough to convince me to start giving my son magnesium and B6 (in the form of P-5-P) years ago and is in part what I attribute to him having stabilized so. the B6 not only helps with tics but also with OCD etc

I dont know if you have ever looked at Bonnie's website http://www.bonniegr.com where you can see more on her research as well as the ingredients in her successful Bontech supplements for TS

I based my son's treatment plan on hers. I document what helped him in a thread here, which you can access via the link in my signature

Here are the results from the first small study:

[An open study evaluating the efficacy and security of magnesium and vitamin B(6) as a treatment of Tourette syndrome in children][Article in Spanish]

García-López R, Romero-González J, Perea-Milla E, Ruiz-García C, Rivas-Ruiz F, de Las Mulas Béjar M.

Departamento de Anestesia y Reanimación. Hospital Costa del Sol. Marbella. Málaga. España. drgarcia.anest@telefonica.net

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: We intended to ascertain the effectiveness and safety of oral solutions of magnesium and vitamin B(6) in alleviating the symptoms emerged during clinical exacerbations in children aged 7-14 years suffering from Tourette syndrome (TS). We also aimed to determine the mean and the standard deviation of such an improvement in order to estimate sample sizes in future assays with a control group. PATIENTS AND METHOD: The treatment under investigation was administered to children diagnosed with TS, in accordance with Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, fourth edition -IV, under conditions of clinical exacerbation. The effects were scored on the Yale Global Tics Severity Scale (YGTSS) at 0, 15, 30, 60 and 90 days. RESULTS: The total tics score decreased from 26.7 (t0) to 12.9 (t4) and the total effect on the YGTSS was a reduction from 58.1 to 18.8. Both results were statistically significant. With respect to the application of conventional treatment or otherwise, no significant differences were observed. No side effects were seen. CONCLUSIONS: The treatment assayed is safe and effective in reducing the harmful effects of TS in children. Further studies are needed, with a control group, and evaluation of different doses of the drugs.

PMID: 19087826 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Not sure if this is of any help, but I wanted to share it JIC.

Edited by Laurensmom

Thanks laurensmom, I've seen that pilot study before and it looks very promising.

However it didn't have randomised control groups, which is why it's scientific value is so-so at best. That's why I'm curious about the new studyt! It's been going on since March last year, I think they're taking a super long time to publish the results.

Thanks laurensmom, I've seen that pilot study before and it looks very promising.

However it didn't have randomised control groups, which is why it's scientific value is so-so at best. That's why I'm curious about the new studyt! It's been going on since March last year, I think they're taking a super long time to publish the results.

I too wish they'd finish the study. Of course I hope the results are positive as well.

• 4 weeks later...
This study has been going on since March 2009 by spanish researchers using Magnesium and vitamin B6 for tics.

They still seem to be in controlled trials but should be done already imo. Does anyone have any updates? There's a free text of the entire study available and there's alot of interesting bio-chemistry possibly related to TS explained.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19284553

PS. I tried mailing 2 of the authors but have gotten no reply. Possibly they don't use those mail accounts anymore

I have tourettes syndrome, stuttering, and slight ocd. I was recommended a while ago to try b6 and magnesium for my situation and did not notice any benefits. No homeopathics have showed any benefits toward my situation, but the prescription drug Serquel has been the only thing that has helped me in the past. It dramatically reduced my tics and stuttering. I was excited to notice that my tics could potentially be reduced for good, but after a few months of taking it, the side effects outweighed the benefits. It would make me tired/sleepy all day and my train of thought slowed. The only prescription I am using for my ts/stuttering now is xanax. It relaxes me and reduces my tics and stuttering without the side effects.

-Letscope

[

I have tourettes syndrome, stuttering, and slight ocd. I was recommended a while ago to try b6 and magnesium for my situation and did not notice any benefits. No homeopathics have showed any benefits toward my situation, but the prescription drug Serquel has been the only thing that has helped me in the past. It dramatically reduced my tics and stuttering. I was excited to notice that my tics could potentially be reduced for good, but after a few months of taking it, the side effects outweighed the benefits. It would make me tired/sleepy all day and my train of thought slowed. The only prescription I am using for my ts/stuttering now is xanax. It relaxes me and reduces my tics and stuttering without the side effects.

-Letscope

Hi Letscope

I just wanted to point out again that using magnesium and VitB6 is *NOT* homeopathic.

I explained on your intro thread what the difference between homeopathy and naturopathy is

I am glad you state the medication you are on is working...tho a little confused, as on your other introductory thread you indicated you are STILL having very high anxiety and still stuttering very much??

[

-Letscope

Hi Letscope

I just wanted to point out again that using magnesium and VitB6 is *NOT* homeopathic.

I explained on your intro thread what the difference between homeopathy and naturopathy is

I am glad you state the medication you are on is working...tho a little confused, as on your other introductory thread you indicated you are STILL having very high anxiety and still stuttering very much??

In general, It is a hit or miss situation with the medications. I do not like to take the xanax every day because I do not want to build a toleiance and have to increase my dosage, therefore I take the xanax when im having an absolutly terrible day with tics/stuttering such as yesterday. I try and not take the medication when im having those issues, but if I am having a really bad day with it, I will resort to taking the xanax.

There is pretty sound bio-chemistry behind Magnesium + B6 for Tourettes but I guess you have to take it for like a month and not with calcium etc etc. Lots of people probably just try a random magnesium supplement for a few days and conclude that it's "wrong", which is in fact, wrong.

I've tried zyprexa and while it helps with tics, the tiredness and lack of happiness and excitement isn't worth it.