ACN Latitudes Forums

Why did I start to tic alot?

So I've been experimenting with low-carb high-fat diets.

After day 2 I feel like ###### after my breakfast, which is:

1 can of mackerel in tomato sauce (1,5 g omega-3)

1,5 dl fat (34%) whipped cream.

i.e no carbs. And I start to tic heavy, almost epileptic-like, convulsions. I just had some carbs in the form of full grain oatmeal porridge and instantly the tics calmed down. What the ######?

Could it be that I have sensitivities towards lactose (whipped cream), but not gluten?

My tics are way less now an hour later btw.

Jens, that doesnt sound like a balanced diet at all!

people on very low carb diets also tend to suffer with more mood and depression problems

high fat diets are unhealthy!

I must say if I ate what you had for breakfast I would likely be sick all day :D lol

honestly, a balanced diet with good proportions of wholesome foods is best, and only eliminate that which you are allergic to

Maybe the mackeral? is it from a can? maybe it's omega 3, but having the same effect of increasing tics that some have with fish oil........

I'm thinking its possible there could even be minute amounts of mercury in the fish, but just speculating. Have some Rice Krispies the rest of the week and see what happens..... :ph34r:

Yeah I think fish oil capsules makes me tic more. Also fish oil tends to make me dizzy and stuff so I'm not sure it's good for me. Yup it's mackerel from a can

Chemar yeah, I've noticed mood problems as well. whenever I cut carbs I get all depressed and lethargic and get more tics.

Oh and ###### me, I've started paxil at low dose 5 mg in the morning but that stuff makes me tic like a madman and I'm so enraged I almost smashed my bedroom mirror right now. I had the paxil pill + 2 cups of coffee (why why why I'm quitting coffee it makes my tics go mental). Btw, I never get these rages otherwise

I dunno what I'm allergic to but dairy I think makes me tic more and the tics change to my eyes and around the nose when I have dairy weirdly enough. I eat porridge and seem to be pretty good with it so maybe gluten isn't an issue

I also have usually 2 protein shakes/day and theres milk protein and lactose along with all the amino acids. They possibly make me tic more, but it's a little bit more subtle.

Why is tourettes so hard, I feel so bad :ph34r:

Edited by JensOfSweden

Canned mackerel has metals, and especially if it is an old can. The metals move and soak into the fish over time gradually increasing the metal load of the food. So an old can packed two years before you eat it will have much higher metals in the fish than a can packed yesterday. Think of it like a sponge on a wet counter. Over time the sponge (fish) gets saturated with the metal vapours (water). Metals are toxic, especially mercury which is not for the human body and is present in canned fish. There are studies that prove this.

Not all fish oils are created equal. Source matters. My son reacted badly to coromega. Many fish oil companies used farmed fish. You have to know the brands. We use Nordic Naturals.

Also, not all dairy is created equal. Our son has a severe corn allergy and tolerates corn-free, chemical free dairy in moderation. Does the cream you used have carrageenan? That could be a problem. We only use organic dairy products and if we can't pronounce the ingredients on the label we don't buy. Our cream says "heavy cream" as the only ingredient on the label. There is such a thing as a carrageenan allergy. And back to the metals issue, it has been proven that High Fructose Corn Syrup has a high mercury content as well.

I do better on low carb diets but I have to include simple carbs with every meal. You can't just eat protein and fat on it's own. We need carbs for mental well being. Try to do meat the size of the palm of your hand, and then fill the rest of your plate with fresh veggies and fruit, keeping in mind the sugar content of the fruit should be low. Are you also taking vitamins? If you have rage issues with the Paxil you should let your doctor know asap. That is a common side effect and you probably should discontinue and go another route if it is a known problem this early on. Don't take chances with your mental well being.

If fish is a problem, and fish oil, it may be that you have an underlying metals problem, especially if canned fish gives you an immediate reaction. (Could try the mackerel on its own again w/o the cream and tomato sauce to see if you get as sick again.) Metals are a neurotoxin and if your body is carrying a heavy metal load and has problems with sulfation then you will be symptomatic with exposures. I am learning much about this at this time as I am in the process of getting my many amalgams removed finally. Metal toxicity can cause depression too.

Low carb diets deplete serotonin levels in the brain. I found this out the hard way, after trying one. :ph34r: If you're prone to depression it's ill advised. Here's more info:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/20...carb-state-mind

Go eat some marshmallows! :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm sorry you're feeling bad and having a bad day Jen. Hugs to you.

Edited by Laurensmom

Yeah I'm quitting the Paxil. Holy ###### it makes me feel weird, angry and alot of ticcing

Carrageenan, yeah it's in the cream...hmm might be an issue there. There was carrageenan in chicken filés that I bought the other day too, I will remove both asap.

Yeah without carbs, hardly no tryptophan > less serotonin, so that makes sense.

Btw I'm a guy and my name is Jens ;P

Thanks guys =)

Thanks guys =)

:(

Oh, I figured.... I've been picturing a handsome hunk with long wavy light brown hair around the shoulders and eyes the color of the deep blue ocean.....

LOL

No, honestly--

The fact that you opened a can of mackerel and doused it with cream and tomato sauce gave you away in the first two sentences.

That is definitely a man meal.

Thanks guys =)

:(

Oh, I figured.... I've been picturing a handsome hunk with long wavy light brown hair around the shoulders and eyes the color of the deep blue ocean.....

LOL

No, honestly--

The fact that you opened a can of mackerel and doused it with cream and tomato sauce gave you away in the first two sentences.

That is definitely a man meal.

Actually you just described me Caryn ;) Funnily enough I have brown hair, light blue eyes and I'm 6 ft something

lol anyways

haha, man meal. Yeah definately but it made me tic like a madman, probably along with the damn paxil and coffee, ugh.

I went to the gym and felt a tiny bit better but still weirded out.

Edited by JensOfSweden

lol man meal indeed :)

Jens, be careful of all those amino acids too...some, like tyrosine and even phenylalanine, can make you tic more because they are dopaminergic. also things that boost your androgens make you tic more because androgens are also dopaminergic (thought to possibly be a reason more guys than girls manifest TS)

Yeah I'm quitting the Paxil. Holy ###### it makes me feel weird, angry and alot of ticcing

Carrageenan, yeah it's in the cream...hmm might be an issue there. There was carrageenan in chicken filés that I bought the other day too, I will remove both asap.

Yeah without carbs, hardly no tryptophan > less serotonin, so that makes sense.

Thanks guys =)

Woops! Sorry Jens. :ph34r::wacko: Hope adding carbs helps!

I've never had canned fish in my life, so I didn't get the man meal thing, sorry. :lol:

Chemar: Good point about the amino acids. I'm going down to one protein shake after my daily gym workout (I lift heavy weights and do interval cardio). I've noticed that the protein shakes make me tic more and I guessed it's tyrosine and ph.alanine like you said, because they create dopamine. Didn't know about Androgens and dopamine, very interesting. Remind me to never take steroids lol.

Laurensmom: How old are you btw? I'm 30 myself, just curious. How old are you Chemar?

Canned fish is awesome! I always have canned tuna or mackerel. If you're ever in Sweden hit me up for a delicate meal made up out of mackerel ;D

I'm old Jens... 40's actually.

Regarding canned fish. I have eaten tuna and plenty of it. For some reason that didn't occur to me. :lol:

You think 40 is old? Umm, how about no :)

Everyone knows 40 is the new 30 anyways.

Hmmm, well I'm having alot of tics these days but then again I sleep very bad.