ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep while on augmentin?

DS9 started yesterday with minor sore throat and headache but felt fine on advil. Woke up at 6am this morning with fever, sore throat, headache and minor nausea (he gets nauseous with fever no matter what he has). He's been on 2000mg/day of augmentin XR for the last couple months.

This happened once before in February and his sister DID have strep, but he was tested negative, which wasn't surprising because he was on the abx, but the dr.'s office told me, NO WAY could he have strep. Of course, I didn't believe them, especially since his sister had similar symptoms and was positive. At the time, I had some azith in the house and put him on 5 days of 500mg/day of azith instead of the augmentin.

This time, though, I don't have any extra azith to switch to.

Should I get him in for a culture now or wait another day to let it progress a bit more? Would it be more likely to culture positive?

Have you ever had a positive strep culture while on this dose of augmentin?

If this IS strep, this may not be the first time he's gotten in on the augmentin. Does anyone else find that the aug fails as a prophylactic? Especially at 2000mg/day?

And lastly, AGGHHGHHHGHHGHGHGHGHHGHGH!!!!!

LOL.. just had to get that out.

We have an appt for both kids with Dr. B at the end of June. I can't wait!

Hi --

We had a similar situation about one month ago now, and our pediatrician was equally insistent: no way could he have strep, no way would a culture come back positive, because of the Augmentin. I actually sort of tried to "sneak" and asked the nurse to do a throat swab before the doctor had even come into the room, but DS balked (hates those things) and she was unable to get a clean swipe. I guess she reported that to the doctor (thanks! ;) ), so then I got the "no way" lecture.

I know Diana Pohlman has noted some "breakthrough" strep incidents while kid were on Augmentin, but it was my understanding that this pertained to regular Augmentin, rather than the time-released XR variety.

Our DS's behavior has become more problematic recently, also, which makes me think there's a possibility he's had some breakthrough, too. Or perhaps some co-infection or increase in his allergies that's driving his behavioral response. It's hard to know.

We're getting his ASO titers and AntiDnase tested again tomorrow, though; Dr. K. seems to think they will still come back elevated, despite the long-term Augmentin XR use. Then what? Maybe we will ask Dr. K. about some azith, as well.

Sorry you're going through this. If you can talk your ped or Dr. B., through a phone conference or message, into a round of azith, maybe that's worth a try.

Yeah...I would like to know this too! We have been fighting off impetigo, and now he is complaining of a sore throat. He is on Bactrim and Augmentin right now. We have only had a very mild, mild setback so far, but I'm watching.

My PANDAS son had an ear infection (at the time 3 of his siblings had strep) while on Augmentin XR + Zithromax... they had to add Rifampin for 10 days, and he seems fine now.

it may all haveBut, at that time allergies over here where at their worst, so the ear thing may have been just allergy related (and so could be sore throats and increase in symptoms)

My son's last exacerbation in February happened while he was on 875 mg Augmentin twice daily. First he said his throat hurt. The next day he said his ears hurt too. We went in to see the dr. and also go the "no way it could be strep" talk. he did culture and the culture did come back negative. However, he had a very nasty ear infection as well as really nasty sinuses so we switched abx to tackle those. Omnicef did clear the ear infection but not the sinuses. After we started Biaxin his sinuses finally cleared. I don't know for sure if the ear and sinuses were a strep infection, but I'm thinking they probably were based on how quickly my son went down hill.

The dr. was surprised that he still got such a nasty ear infection on the Augmentin, but when I got copies of his medical records and looked back, my son has a history of Augmentin not clearing ear infections or strep infections and having to try something else. At the age of one he had so many ear infections back to back we ended up doing rocephin shots for a few days to get him clear enough to do the ear tubes.