ACN Latitudes Forums

Rheumatic fever- what was abnormal bloodwork?

I am desparately trying to figure out what is wrong with my son. I was worried about Kawasaki and still am, but wonder for those whose children had rheumatic fever, what were your abnormal labs??

His ESR (sed rate was 35) which is elevated and his CRP (c reactive protein) was 0.3 on Friday, but up to 1.6 on Saturday. We have drs appointment in one hour but trying to get info ASAP from parents who have gone through this.

TIA.

Colleen

Colleen,

Taken from my friend's son's labs 3 months post onset ARF. This is how his symptoms presented: High fever approximately five days (week 1), strawberry tongue (week 1), white spots on tonsils (week 1), abdomen rash (week 1 -2), peeling palms and hands (week 2), groin rash (week 2 -3), swollen neck gland (not sure when the swollen neck gland appeared), positive culture (week 3 - 4). This all happened over the course of a MONTH.

WBC 18.5 5.0 - 14.5

Neutrophilis 74 30 – 49

C-Reactive Protein 25.9 0 - 8

ESR 20 0 - 15

Anti-DNase B titer 680 <170

I am not sure if you get white spots 'puss' on the back of tonsils with Kawasaki's..... remember no positive cultures but mirrors RF/Scarlet Fever.

I am desparately trying to figure out what is wrong with my son. I was worried about Kawasaki and still am, but wonder for those whose children had rheumatic fever, what were your abnormal labs??

His ESR (sed rate was 35) which is elevated and his CRP (c reactive protein) was 0.3 on Friday, but up to 1.6 on Saturday. We have drs appointment in one hour but trying to get info ASAP from parents who have gone through this.

TIA.

Colleen

Edited by SF Mom

TIA.

Colleen

I won't give exact numbers here because things seem to be measured a little differently in Canada but my son had elevated CRP, ESR, Neutrophils and ASO Titre. I hope your son is OK and you have some answers now.

PKM