ACN Latitudes Forums

Mycoplasma pneumonia- can you test positve but not be really sick?

I am very confused and trying to figure this out before my son's dr's appointment this morning.

I have been posting about my 3 year old who I was very concerned could have Kawasaki disease based on his symptoms, including a terrible all over body rash (scarlatinaform rash, hives, and flat red larger (size of pencil eraser) red spots.

THe ER dr's and the pediatric dr's at the hospital did inot think he had Kawasaki b/c he did not meet ALL the criteria, however his sed rate and liver enzymes were elevated. I emailed Dr T and he said that his labs fit with Kawasaki except that his platelet count was not elevated. He said there are otrher things that can cause a rash like that, especially while on antibiotics (was on 10 days of omnicef, now on Zithromax).

He said to test for CMV (cytomegalovirus), EBV, and mycoplasma.

Has anyone's child htested positive for myco pneumo and only had a cough and fever with a pretty normal chest xray (chest xray showed mild thickening of wall)?

TIA

Colleen

I am very confused and trying to figure this out before my son's dr's appointment this morning.

I have been posting about my 3 year old who I was very concerned could have Kawasaki disease based on his symptoms, including a terrible all over body rash (scarlatinaform rash, hives, and flat red larger (size of pencil eraser) red spots.

THe ER dr's and the pediatric dr's at the hospital did inot think he had Kawasaki b/c he did not meet ALL the criteria, however his sed rate and liver enzymes were elevated. I emailed Dr T and he said that his labs fit with Kawasaki except that his platelet count was not elevated. He said there are otrher things that can cause a rash like that, especially while on antibiotics (was on 10 days of omnicef, now on Zithromax).

Has anyone's child htested positive for myco pneumo and only had a cough and fever with a pretty normal chest xray (chest xray showed mild thickening of wall)?

TIA

Colleen

Yes we tested + for MP and it means you had an infection in the past my immunologist doesnt even think its an issue at all but we took antibiotics anyway.

Colleen,

As you may know, not all children will present with ALL of the symptoms for Kawasaki's. My son was missing full body rash and swollen glands. He had the red eyes (both), swollen cherry colored lips (no mouth sores), high fever for 5 days, restlessness (could not sleep), vomiting, NO PEELING of palms and feet, red tonsils, etc. The only way they were truly able to determine Kawasaki's was an ECHO/EKG to determine heart involvement.

Thinking of you. Wendy

TIA

Colleen