ACN Latitudes Forums

IVIG tomorrow & Tuesday - son is SICK

Sorry your son is getting sick! That stinks, especially with such a big day planned tomorrow. I hope they still go through with it. Keep us posted and good luck!

Hi all -

HELP!!

Son woke up with a cold yesterday morning - - and his ear was plugged. I hoped it wouldn't get worse - - so we hopped on the airplane today and are now in the hotel room. His IVIG is scheduled for tomorrow and Tuesday and I am stressing out - -

His cold has gotten worse through the day and his ear is now hurting and plugged up. In the last few hours his verbal tic has gotten much worse (as it does during illness) - -

Thoughts / Suggestions??

I am sure he has an ear infection, so I will have them check it tomorrow morning and hopefully add a round of antibiotic for the ear infection (on top of his daily Azithromycin - 500mg). But do they generally go through with the IVIG in a situation where the child gets sick? Ugh - - I feel like I am crumbling right now!

Also - - any suggestions on a liquid decongestant, or cold medicine (preferably dye free & he can't swallow pills). I'm going to go out to the local CVS....

Thanks so much!

Karen

Hi all -

HELP!!

Son woke up with a cold yesterday morning - - and his ear was plugged. I hoped it wouldn't get worse - - so we hopped on the airplane today and are now in the hotel room. His IVIG is scheduled for tomorrow and Tuesday and I am stressing out - -

His cold has gotten worse through the day and his ear is now hurting and plugged up. In the last few hours his verbal tic has gotten much worse (as it does during illness) - -

Thoughts / Suggestions??

I am sure he has an ear infection, so I will have them check it tomorrow morning and hopefully add a round of antibiotic for the ear infection (on top of his daily Azithromycin - 500mg). But do they generally go through with the IVIG in a situation where the child gets sick? Ugh - - I feel like I am crumbling right now!

Also - - any suggestions on a liquid decongestant, or cold medicine (preferably dye free & he can't swallow pills). I'm going to go out to the local CVS....

Thanks so much!

Karen

Karen,

So sorry to hear this! We've been dealing with the cold/plugged nose/ear infection thing a lot this spring! What has been working is fluconase to keep the nose inflammation down and let the tubes drain. My PANDAS ds also had an ear infection while on Augmentin XR + Zithromax (they added Rifampin to clear it). But, I am not 100% sure it was an infection, I think it was just allergies and he wasn't draining. I even got it, but my doctor would not prescribe any abxs, he said just do the nasal spray for at least 4 days. I guess that doesn't help you right now! How about trying some benadryl (any drugstore should have the dye-free liquid kind). And maybe a steam bath to help drain it out. And while you are at CVS, pick up some saline nasal spray. It's a bit unpleasant but it really helps!

Hope SOMETHING helps! Good luck...

Isabel

Hope your DS is feeling better this morning.

In addition to the dye-free Benedryl, I would suggest you ask the pharmacist about a dye-free decongestant alternative that includes guiafinesin. Guiafinesin is best known as an expectorant, but when our son had recurrent ear infections as a toddler, we found that a guiafinesin over-the-counter option was best as it helps break down the thick mucus that can plug ear tubes up, making the secretions overall thinner and easier to drain. It tends to make medicines taste bitter, though, so have some juice handy for a chaser!

Well - - we are done with "IVIG, Day 1" - - he did really great!! The doctor looked at his ear and it is filled with fluid, but it's not infected - thank goodness - he is running a temp, though. We are resting at the hotel and the nurse said tomorrow should be a bit shorter. Hopefully it will go as good as today did!

Thanks for the suggestions! I couldn't find any dye free at Walgreen's - - but I got Mucinex liquid for him and will try that.

Thanks again!

Karen

I'm so glad to hear good news from you. I hope you all have a restful night.

Karen:

I am so happy you are done! I think the headaches can last up to a week. Our son also had stomach aches for a couple of days after the IVIG.

Where did you fly to to get the IVIG? Are you keeping your son on antibiotics post IVIG?

My other big recommendation is to make sure you check the ASO/ANTI DNASE B titers on the whole family to ensure no one could be harboring strep in the household.

I wish you so much luck with your old son next week.

Elizabeth

Sorry your son is getting sick! That stinks, especially with such a big day planned tomorrow. I hope they still go through with it. Keep us posted and good luck!

Hi all -

HELP!!

Thoughts / Suggestions??

Thanks so much!

Karen

What was the dosage I guess it was dr B?