ACN Latitudes Forums

Question about histamine any answers?

I know that some tics are helped by histamine blockers but which one?Benadryl helped a while ago but not so much anymore so.....

So for tics is it better to use H2 blocker or H1?

A histamine blocker is a type of medication that modifies the activity of histamine, a specialized amine that functions as a neurotransmitter and an inflammatory mediator. Histamine blockers are often referred to as antihistamines. However, this term is misleading. For one thing, these medications do not block the synthesis of histamine from the amino acid histidine as the term implies, nor do they prevent its release from mast cells. Instead, a histamine blocker is designed to prevent targeted receptor sites from accepting the chemical’s attachment, as well as the instructions it’s programmed to deliver.

There are two types of histamine receptors that receive histamine, but they respond differently. H1 receptors are involved in inflammatory reactions and produce symptoms commonly seen in allergic reactions, such as swelling, sneezing, and increased nasal secretions. Therefore, an H1 histamine blocker, also known as an H1 antagonist, is given to treat allergies. H2 receptors, on the other hand, are involved in regulating the secretion of gastric acid from parietal cells located in the lining of the stomach. So, an H2 histamine blocker, or H2 antagonist, is used to prevent excess production of stomach acid and is intended for the treatment of peptic ulcers and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Examples of common blockers that act upon H1 receptor sites include diphenhydramine (Benadryl®), loratadine (Claritin®), and chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton®). Some of these medications, particularly first generation drugs like diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine, also impact H1 receptors in the brain, which triggers a sedative effect. However, some of the newer medications, like loratadine, produce far less drowsiness because these drugs cannot pass though the blood-brain barrier as well as their predecessors. The most commonly used H2 blockers are cimetadine (Tagamet®) and ranitidine (Zantac®). These medications are available without a prescription.

While these medications are very effective and considered safe, they are not without risk and side effects. For example, some of these drugs produce drowsiness and may interfere with the ability to drive or operate machinery, an effect enhanced with alcohol consumption. In contrast, non-sedating blockers may produce insomnia in some people. Other common side effects include dry mouth, dizziness, hyperactivity, irregular heartbeat, flushing of the skin, and stomach cramps. In addition, the prescription-based drug cimetidine is contraindicated with warfarin (Coumadin®) and other blood thinners due to an increased risk of bleeding, increases serum levels of many other medications, such as calcium channel blockers and cholesterol-lowering drugs, and is known to pass through breast milk.

Hi Melanie - we use an H2 - Prevacid - I was reading this same article that you have quoted below, a few days ago. I posted about whether anyone thinks this might be helping, as we are considering going off of it - I wish I could give you advice on this. I have to say that it certainly has not hurt! We started it at the same time as the abx, so I really can't say with confidence if the good results are the abx, the prevacid, or the combination of both.

Hi Melanie - we use an H2 - Prevacid - I was reading this same article that you have quoted below, a few days ago. I posted about whether anyone thinks this might be helping, as we are considering going off of it - I wish I could give you advice on this. I have to say that it certainly has not hurt! We started it at the same time as the abx, so I really can't say with confidence if the good results are the abx, the prevacid, or the combination of both.

Here are some H2 blockers:

H2 Blockers: Medications in this family are acid production inhibitors -- they decrease stomach acid production. Drugs that fall into this family include cimetidine (Tagamet, Tagamet HB); famotidine (Pepcid, Pepcid AC, Pepcid RPD); nizatidine (Axid, Axid AR); ranitidine hydrochloride (Zantac, Zantac EFFERdose, Zantac GELdose, Zantac 75).

I know that some tics are helped by histamine blockers but which one?Benadryl helped a while ago but not so much anymore so.....

I don't know the answer to that one....however.

My understanding is that it is okay to take more than 1 H2 blocker at a time. For example, it would be okay to take both Pepcid and Zantac. You might want to check with a pharmacist about that though. The drugs are (IMO) pretty safe and cheap so it might be worthwhile to see if some of them (or combo. of 2) works better than others.

It should also be okay to take a H1 blocker with a H2 blocker. For example, chlortrimaton (chlorphenarimine) with pepcid (famotidine).

so can you use or should you use an h1 and an h2? Is that better ?

Melanie

Melanie

I'm not even close to an expert on this - but the first question I'd suggest you think about - is where do you think the source of inflamation is? Does he have signs of allergies (dry or painful eyes, watering eye, stuffy nose, sneezing, etc) or does he have signs of stomach discomfort (even if you think this is anxiety related, consider that it is not). Then you can decide which anti-histimine to try to reduce the area of inflamation. Have you considered an allergist/immunologist or a gastrointerologist? We use both & they have both been quite helpful in terms of ruling inflamatory issues in or out.

Melanie

I'm not even close to an expert on this - but the first question I'd suggest you think about - is where do you think the source of inflamation is? Does he have signs of allergies (dry or painful eyes, watering eye, stuffy nose, sneezing, etc) or does he have signs of stomach discomfort (even if you think this is anxiety related, consider that it is not). Then you can decide which anti-histimine to try to reduce the area of inflamation. Have you considered an allergist/immunologist or a gastrointerologist? We use both & they have both been quite helpful in terms of ruling inflamatory issues in or out.

He does have anxiety lots but I did give him 200mg of tagament this morning.When I was younger I had an ulcer.I took tagamet for at least a year.Ill try it and see what happens.Hes doing pretty well right now on the intruv Were at my brotherinlaws today and hes doing great .

Melanie

All I know is that our doc suggested an H1 and an H2 to help control pandas, whether or not he has "allegies" or "stomach" issues. Claritin and Pepcid AC is what he suggested. I have not done this yet.

Stephanie

A histamine blocker is a type of medication that modifies the activity of histamine, a specialized amine that functions as a neurotransmitter and an inflammatory mediator. Histamine blockers are often referred to as antihistamines. However, this term is misleading. For one thing, these medications do not block the synthesis of histamine from the amino acid histidine as the term implies, nor do they prevent its release from mast cells. Instead, a histamine blocker is designed to prevent targeted receptor sites from accepting the chemical’s attachment, as well as the instructions it’s programmed to deliver.

There are two types of histamine receptors that receive histamine, but they respond differently. H1 receptors are involved in inflammatory reactions and produce symptoms commonly seen in allergic reactions, such as swelling, sneezing, and increased nasal secretions. Therefore, an H1 histamine blocker, also known as an H1 antagonist, is given to treat allergies. H2 receptors, on the other hand, are involved in regulating the secretion of gastric acid from parietal cells located in the lining of the stomach. So, an H2 histamine blocker, or H2 antagonist, is used to prevent excess production of stomach acid and is intended for the treatment of peptic ulcers and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).

Examples of common blockers that act upon H1 receptor sites include diphenhydramine (Benadryl®), loratadine (Claritin®), and chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton®). Some of these medications, particularly first generation drugs like diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine, also impact H1 receptors in the brain, which triggers a sedative effect. However, some of the newer medications, like loratadine, produce far less drowsiness because these drugs cannot pass though the blood-brain barrier as well as their predecessors. The most commonly used H2 blockers are cimetadine (Tagamet®) and ranitidine (Zantac®). These medications are available without a prescription.

While these medications are very effective and considered safe, they are not without risk and side effects. For example, some of these drugs produce drowsiness and may interfere with the ability to drive or operate machinery, an effect enhanced with alcohol consumption. In contrast, non-sedating blockers may produce insomnia in some people. Other common side effects include dry mouth, dizziness, hyperactivity, irregular heartbeat, flushing of the skin, and stomach cramps. In addition, the prescription-based drug cimetidine is contraindicated with warfarin (Coumadin®) and other blood thinners due to an increased risk of bleeding, increases serum levels of many other medications, such as calcium channel blockers and cholesterol-lowering drugs, and is known to pass through breast milk.

well I dont think the tagament H2 ) is doing anything faboulous .I gave it to him yesterday and he had a good day and I gave it to him today and he threw his calculator across the room. But then finished all of his math and had a great rest of the day .Maybe Ill try the loribid (H1) tomorrow.

Melanie

just thought i'd post this

Nexium and Prevacid

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/10/heart...x.html?hpt=Sbin

Hi

But theses arent the same as tagament are they?

Melanie

just a word of caution on Tagamet from our experience....my son was on it in the early days of his Crohn's diagnosis.

a short while later he started having very strange pre-sleep hallucinations...very scary and very real feeling

we were extremely puzzled until a pharmacist friend told me this is a Tagamet side effect that can occur in some susceptible people :D

now that doesnt mean it will happen to everyone but....just be aware of it if anything similar should begin

Melanie

just a word of caution on Tagamet from our experience....my son was on it in the early days of his Crohn's diagnosis.

a short while later he started having very strange pre-sleep hallucinations...very scary and very real feeling

we were extremely puzzled until a pharmacist friend told me this is a Tagamet side effect that can occur in some susceptible people :D

now that doesnt mean it will happen to everyone but....just be aware of it if anything similar should begin

Not seeing anything with the tagament,so Ill stop .He was kindof gassy the past few days.Of course I read an article on google about how bad it is http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/news/2...?src=RSS_PUBLIC