ACN Latitudes Forums

Intersting article from 1918

Vickie this is an awesome article. How on earth did you find this? I am so amazed that by now every single person with a mental disturbance is not tested for some sort of bacterial or viral cause. Thanks for sharing this.

Actually there was another article printed in 1896 in Scientific American Mind entitled "Is Insanity Due to a Microbe". 2 docs describe how they injected cerebrospinal fluid of mentally ill patients into rabbits, which later got sick. The docs concluded that certain forms of insanity could be caused by infectious agents.

I can't find full text for that one.

Edited by Vickie

Finding this very interesting as my dad had gum disease, probably RF when he was young (died at 52 heart attack) and I started my anxiety issues over night when I had been having on and off flares of infection in a tooth for about a year (tooth eventually had a root canal) I also had stage 4 gum disease at the time of my pregnancy (dentist would not dx gum disease at the time so I didn't know it) didn't have it looked into until after my daughter was born and now she is a Pandas!!!!

One article blamed Freud for haulting the idea that infections can cause mental illness.

Whomever brought up the abx point...I was thinking the same thing. They would have had even more success in their study if pen was developed then. That's probably why some died (lack of abx).

Wow - fascinating! This is at about the same time (1918) that the encephalitis lethargica epidemic erupted around the globe, especially in NY area. I'm reading the book Asleep about this "forgotten" epidemic - only partway through it. But it's amazing: this was at a time when neurology and psychiatry were still combined into one discipline ("neuropsychiatry"). The experts back then did not doubt for a moment that this outbreak of severe, PANDAS-like illness was a direct result of an infection that caused inflammation and damage to the basal ganglia, that the physical and mental symptoms were inextricably intertwined.

My, how far we've come with all this specialization in the past century... sigh. :D