ACN Latitudes Forums

Post IVIG rash?

Tomorrow my son will be 2 weeks post his first IVIG. This afternoon he started scratching his head and shoulders. I looked and his back was covered with tiny red bumps. He continued scratching and the rash began to slightly spread to his arms and chest. I put Benedryl cream on. Of course we had some of the recalled Benedry and consumed half that bottle and I have not replaced it yet! Then he began complaining of his palms itching. Otherwise he is acting fine and healthy. the immunologist told my husband the rash is not from the IVIG, but I am not convinced. In fact I googled IVIG and rash and it does have some cases of a rash 8-10 days out. At this point he is distracted from itching and not complaining. He has not been outside today and no new foods, so I don't think its allergic. Any have a similar experience? Thanks for any feedback!

Tomorrow my son will be 2 weeks post his first IVIG. This afternoon he started scratching his head and shoulders. I looked and his back was covered with tiny red bumps. He continued scratching and the rash began to slightly spread to his arms and chest. I put Benedryl cream on. Of course we had some of the recalled Benedry and consumed half that bottle and I have not replaced it yet! Then he began complaining of his palms itching. Otherwise he is acting fine and healthy. the immunologist told my husband the rash is not from the IVIG, but I am not convinced. In fact I googled IVIG and rash and it does have some cases of a rash 8-10 days out. At this point he is distracted from itching and not complaining. He has not been outside today and no new foods, so I don't think its allergic. Any have a similar experience? Thanks for any feedback!

I also think that an IVIG rash would have showed up sooner....but who really knows? I'll never say never. I any case, some things to try would be non-recalled benedryl, maybe an oatmeal (aveeno?) bath, maybe some topical steroids, and consider calling your doc for some pred (which I assume would be okay).

Do you have any pets that go outside? Many years ago I got poison ivy (or was it oak?) from our dog who had it on her fur b/c our petsitter at the time had a bad case. Our pandas dd also got a bad rash once when I used Bounce fabric softener on the laundry.

btw... https://health.google.com/health/ref/Contact+dermatitis

Here's a blurb on contact dermatitis. It says that it can take 24-48 hours for a rash to show up, so it's possible that it is from something your son was exposed to a couple of days ago.

Allergic contact dermatitis, the second most common type of contact dermatitis, is caused by exposure to a substance or material to which you have become extra sensitive or allergic. The allergic reaction is often delayed, with the rash appearing 24 - 48 hours after exposure.

and

Common allergens associated with contact dermatitis include:

•Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac

•Other plants

•Nickel or other metals

•Medications

◦Antibiotics, especially those applied to the surface of the skin (topical)

◦Topical anesthetics

◦Other medications

•Rubber or latex

•Cosmetics

•Fabrics and clothing

•Detergents

•Solvents

•Adhesives

•Fragrances, perfumes

•Other chemicals and substances

Edited by EAMom

I think I just want to blame anything bizarre on the IVIG ;)

I don't think its a contact dermititis because everything has been the same, I keep a very hypo-allergenic home, and it really started on his back which has always been covered outside. I think I'll feed him all the same foods tomorrow and see if he reacts. Otherwise I am going to stick with blaming the IVIG, maybe I'm just angry because it has yet to be helping!

Typically, we are told to give our children benedryl (oral) with IVIG. This will help keep down any allergic symptoms. Even if it is a contact dermatitis, it can't hurt to give him benedryl. I would also recommend giving him the stuff without dye (the dye in regular bendryl can cause reactions, itself.) I don't know how old your son is, but I suspect young, because you mentioned the recall, and I think it was just the pediatric formulations of medications. Anyway, I believe that the pediatric bendryl is just 1/2 the dose of regular bendryl. I remember seeing today, in fact, that children's benedryl is 12.5 mg, whereas the adult dosage is 25 mg. If the pediatric formula is recalled (I don't think it is, though), just cut a regular dye free bendryl in 1/2. We've actually been doing that for our dog, because he gets too drugged up with full strength, and needs it.

Keep in mind that this time is year is "murder" with allergies. So, whether it's IVIG or something else causing it, Bendryl is usually the tx of choice for allergies (our doc has always said to keep it on hand.)

BTW, you said it didn't seem to be doing anything yet. What was the dosage of IVIG?

Let us know what happens.

I think I just want to blame anything bizarre on the IVIG ;)

I don't think its a contact dermititis because everything has been the same, I keep a very hypo-allergenic home, and it really started on his back which has always been covered outside. I think I'll feed him all the same foods tomorrow and see if he reacts. Otherwise I am going to stick with blaming the IVIG, maybe I'm just angry because it has yet to be helping!

Thanks for your response. My son was on benedryl for 2 days during the IVIG and the day after the infusions were completed. He had two 12 hour infusions separated by 4 hours at the Swedo dose of 1g/1kg over 2 consecutive days. Believe me I am a fan of benedryl, just only have the contaminated bottles of dye free in the house right now. But the benedryl cream seems to have quieted things down.

Its Herxing Reaction to underlying infection.... both my son and friends son had similar complaints off and on. After the 3 IVIG we no longer have that complaint.

Herxing Symptoms

The most common ones include:

nausea,

headache,

swollen glands,

bloating,

constipation or diarrhea,

increased joint or muscle pain,

elevated heart rate,

chills, cold extremeties,

itching, scratching, nail biting,

unusual perspiration,

fever (usually low grade),

hypotension (low blood pressure),

Itching, hives and rash (sometimes assumed to be an allergic reaction)