ACN Latitudes Forums

reading expressions or emotions

Does anyone know if the basil ganglia controls this? the autism consultant at my ds IEP said she administered a test that showed real people expressing different emotions. He was supposed to guess what the how that person felt. He did poorly.

We are having our 1st IVIG in June with Dr K.

Thanks

ann

Does anyone know if the basil ganglia controls this? the autism consultant at my ds IEP said she administered a test that showed real people expressing different emotions. He was supposed to guess what the how that person felt. He did poorly.

Thanks

ann

Sensory processing goes through BG. Personally, I think its related.

I thought so. HMMMMM makes you kind of wonder.

Thanks

ann

Sensory processing goes through BG. Personally, I think its related.

Thanks

ann

DS is far more sensitive to others emotions and non-verbal signals when he is doing well and far less when he isn't. Right now he's doing well and I would say seems really normal about it. There have been times in the past when it seems like almost nothing is registering. I think it is absolutely related.

This is a fairly common "autism spectrum" trait and is typically related to Aspberger's Syndrome. Now, if autism and PANDAS both have brain inflammation in common (which, given some of the research and personal experiences, it seems to), then it would figure that you could wind up with these traits under either "label."

my daughter has trouble with this as well. We started using a transdermal patch called respen-a and it has worked wonders for her. Lots of kids do really well with oxytocin nasal spray as well but my dd's only 2yrs old so nasal spray would be tough.

-Amber

Thanks

ann

The basal ganglia is involved in processing sensory information more for motor output. The limbic system, another part of the brain, does more with registering emotion and processing emotion. We know fairly well that cells in the basal ganglia misfire with PANDAS. It is likely that cells in other parts of the brain also misfire, and that could be the connection. We need to learn more about all the parts of the brain that are involved in PANDAS.

The difficulty interpreting emotion is a classic feature of Autism Spectrum disorders. It will be interesting to see if this changes after IVIG with your child who has PANDAS.

It will be interesting to see if this changes after IVIG with your child who has PANDAS.

I don't know if you're refering to my daughter, here, but reading nonverbal cues is something that has never been there for her. One of those key things in early childhood development that didn't happen for her. So, I would not expect her to suddenly exhibit this during PANDAS abatement. But, during the 1st 3 months of this year, when she was doing so well- I do believe it was starting to develop. We are working with an RDI consultant on social/emotional development and this is one of the things we are tracking. I'm eager to bring the PANDAS under control again so we can get that development back underway for her.

It will be interesting to see if this changes after IVIG with your child who has PANDAS.

I don't know if you're refering to my daughter, here, but reading nonverbal cues is something that has never been there for her. One of those key things in early childhood development that didn't happen for her. So, I would not expect her to suddenly exhibit this during PANDAS abatement. But, during the 1st 3 months of this year, when she was doing so well- I do believe it was starting to develop. We are working with an RDI consultant on social/emotional development and this is one of the things we are tracking. I'm eager to bring the PANDAS under control again so we can get that development back underway for her.

Peg - actually, I was referring to Johnsmom's original post. It sounded like her son did poorly on this and is sounded like he had been diagnosed with Autism. She was wondering if it was PANDAS related. Your daughter's situation is probably the closest one, so it is interesting to hear that IVIG alone did not help with the facial recognition. It will be good to see if she makes more progress with the RDI consultant once the PANDAS is under control.

I just wanted Johnsmom to know that while the the basal ganglia does have some sensory processing, it is probably not the primary area for registering emotion - that would be more of a limbic function.

Keep us posted on how your daughter does!

thanks for your respones (everyone!) When we were on the burst just recently, we saw major improvements. My DS was reading a book aloud and i kept interuppting him. He stopped and said "could you stop bothering me.' and then he quickly looked up at me and saw the look on my face and said, 'no thats not what I meant, I meant.....

The autism consultant showed him a picture of someone looking at a computer with his hands on his head. The person appeared frustrated. John told her the person was 'thinking' Another picture was someone opening a present. It was an ugly scarf and the guy had a look of disgust on his face. John said, "oh its his birthday."

She also asked him if someone just got their haircut and it looked bad with hair sticking up and all over the place, what would you say? He said that he would tell them that it looked nice.

honest to god if this is the least of johns problems, i will be happier than a pig in mud! I'm sorry to sound so petty.

BTW he is down to 3 goals on his IEP and they just released him from OT. the only thing left is speech. he started 3 yrs ago with about 28 goals!!!!!

Peg - actually, I was referring to Johnsmom's original post. It sounded like her son did poorly on this and is sounded like he had been diagnosed with Autism. She was wondering if it was PANDAS related. Your daughter's situation is probably the closest one, so it is interesting to hear that IVIG alone did not help with the facial recognition. It will be good to see if she makes more progress with the RDI consultant once the PANDAS is under control.

I just wanted Johnsmom to know that while the the basal ganglia does have some sensory processing, it is probably not the primary area for registering emotion - that would be more of a limbic function.

Keep us posted on how your daughter does!