ACN Latitudes Forums

What does a perianal strep rash look like on a boy?

My 3 1/2 yer old finished his Omnicef for strep yesterday. He has had this rash for a few days, but now I am wondering if he still has strep. His culture came back negative, but I know he had strep b/c he started wetting the bed oput of the blue, behavior regressed, swollen lymph nodes in neck, and scarlatinoform rash al lover abd.

He still has dilated pupils, but stopped wetting bed, lymph nodes significantly smaller, behavior a little better, and abd. rash gone.

His bottom and under his scrotum is bright red, rough and dry. Two days ago he had significant skin peeling where it is red now. No changes in detergents/soaps/ etc...

I also just discoverd a few minutes ago hive like itchy bumps all over his side. I have him in an Aveeno bath now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA.

Colleen

Hi

I dont know anything about strep rash so cant comment on that, but I know candida albicans can also manifest with a similar looking peri-anal rash, that also is first red and then can dry and peel.

the pics here are graphic, sorry...but this shows a variety of ways candida rash can manifest

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1090632-overview

I guess the only way to know for sure is to culture from the area?

here is a case of a child who was dx with candida when in fact it was strep

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m068...6/ai_n27480836/

My ds had rectal strep and it took several rounds of anti-biotics to get rid of it. I remember when we went to urgent care and the doc didnt get a good test and had to do it again. I had to hold my son down screaming. I do remember it disappearing from his anal area but then it moved to the base of his penis. He has an on and off groin rash that one doctor told me was yeast. Its not. One day he was running a fever, he was acting so normal. that night i checked his groin rash expecting it to be gone and it was fire engine red!

I hope your child gets better soon.

Hi

I dont know anything about strep rash so cant comment on that, but I know candida albicans can also manifest with a similar looking peri-anal rash, that also is first red and then can dry and peel.

the pics here are graphic, sorry...but this shows a variety of ways candida rash can manifest

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1090632-overview

I guess the only way to know for sure is to culture from the area?

here is a case of a child who was dx with candida when in fact it was strep

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m068...6/ai_n27480836/

The 2nd link is interesting in that they did a rapid strep test of the skin lesion...I always wondered if you could do that.

My daughter has had has had peri-anal strep numerous times. On her it is bright red & very itchy. It is not moist, as I often see it described. A simple swab to her rectum showed heavy Group A Strep growth with the 72 hour culture.

She was mis-diagnosed with yeast numerous times, and showed no improvement with anti-fungal cream. Once strep was confirmed and she started abx, the redness & itch went away very quick.

My son has a head to toe hivey looking rash now, as well as a perianal strep rash.

Wondering if anyone can comment on his labs- just got them back and worried.

HGis WBC was 5000 2 weeks ago and now is 8,800

CBC normal, BUT liver enzymes elevated AST 74 (normal is less than 40)

ALT 101 (normal less than 40)

CRP (C reactive protein is 0.3 (normal 0.0-0.5)

ESR (sed rate) is 34 and Dr says normal is 0-20, but most parameters are 0-13

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts for a vry worried mother.

Wendy-

I IM'd you. I appreciate talking to you last night.

Before I brought up the possibility of Kawasaki disease, after my dr saw the rash, she was convinced it was an allergic reactioin to the Omnicef. He finished 10 days of Omnicef with last dose Wed. morning. Over the past 3 months he has been on omnicef with no problems. Has anyone's child had an allergic reaction to antibiotics, and if so, when would the rash get better? Rash has gootn much worse over the day.

TIA.

Colleen

No bright ideas here.

If it's from the Ominicef I wonder why it took so long (he'd been on it for awhile and been on it b-4).

Is there a reason he wasn't on Azith?

Our younger dd has had a couple of viral rashes...one that coincided with a course of anti-bioitcs...I was much milder than what you are describing.

;)

Have you given him any oral benedryl?

He has been on Omnicef the past 3 times b/c he had been on Zithromax so much and my dr said they had good results with omnicef. Now, given his symptoms the past 19-20 days, I am sure the omnicef never resolved the strep and he had a horrible strep rash while on it. He is now on Zith. I am not sure what I am doing at this point. I am so stressed. I would never dream of letting my older 3 kids not be on any antibiotic, but that is what I have been doing with him. I guess I was just thinking he is too young to put on prophylactic antibiotics, but I can't just keep letting him get strep.

Now, my 9 yo and 13 yo, who are on zith, have a scarlatinaform rash on their backs and abd. Just found it today. Do you think it could just be a reaction to living in the house for weeks with someone who has strep (and he is 3 so he grabs their drinks, kisses them) or do they have strep? I have bumped them up to 500 and will keep them there for a while. This is too stressful.

Thanks for listening.

Colleen

Now, my 9 yo and 13 yo, who are on zith, have a scarlatinaform rash on their backs and abd. Just found it today. Do you think it could just be a reaction to living in the house for weeks with someone who has strep (and he is 3 so he grabs their drinks, kisses them) or do they have strep? I have bumped them up to 500 and will keep them there for a while. This is too stressful.

hmmm...could this be a virus that everyone is getting?

do the rashes look like this http://www.pediatrics.wisc.edu/education/d...latiniform.html The link says rashes like this could also be viral. Just throwing out ideas here.

We are just discovering that the years of this rash in the rectal area was probably strep. He had the exact symptoms as the article states. My dr always said it was a "diaper rash" and to just use Desitin. AGH! We then moved onto have strep in the gut. He had lots of fevers at the same time. Coincidence? I think that rash was the beginning of all of our problems.

My ds had rectal strep and it took several rounds of anti-biotics to get rid of it. I remember when we went to urgent care and the doc didnt get a good test and had to do it again. I had to hold my son down screaming. I do remember it disappearing from his anal area but then it moved to the base of his penis. He has an on and off groin rash that one doctor told me was yeast. Its not. One day he was running a fever, he was acting so normal. that night i checked his groin rash expecting it to be gone and it was fire engine red!

I hope your child gets better soon.