ACN Latitudes Forums

Dd refusing to take abx

My dd 12 has an appt with Dr K on May 26. Is on her second round of abx and is now refusing to take them. Does anyone have any suggestions to encourage her? Symptom exacerbation is huge...kind of at a loss here...DNAse titers are rising on abx and I read those are the antibodies that breech the BBB.

My dd 12 has an appt with Dr K on May 26. Is on her second round of abx and is now refusing to take them. Does anyone have any suggestions to encourage her? Symptom exacerbation is huge...kind of at a loss here...DNAse titers are rising on abx and I read those are the antibodies that breech the BBB.

Why is she refusing? Are they causing gas or stomach upset? Or is it some sort of "principal" thing, as in, she's old enough to make that kind of decision so she's doing it? How long has it been since she started refusal? If you give it a day or two, do you think she might come back around to realizing that she feels better taking them than not? This is a tough one! :blink:

DS complained a bunch at one point. I realized, after questioning him, that the taste and smell of the refill we got was different because we'd switched pharmacies and they used a different manufacturer. When we went back to the original for the next refill he was fine. could that be an issue?

This is tough. I would also consider the reason in my response- is it rational, or more defiance/refusal?

My 9 yr old gripes, but is pretty compliant when she knows the doctor has prescribed the med.

My 6 yr old is tougher- but still small, so I have more power.

I do take a REALLY tough stance on the meds I have to say. I will give them a break from supplements here and there if they gripe a lot, but I take a very hard line on the antibiotics and steroids (when on them). I don't really give them an option- when they sense that, they seem to cooperate. If they were really being difficult- I would get them to the doc, so the doc could have a word with them (we never had to go that far).

That being said- each time they take their med- they get a "treat"- like a rolo or a hershey's kiss.....

Why is she refusing? Are they causing gas or stomach upset? Or is it some sort of "principal" thing, as in, she's old enough to make that kind of decision so she's doing it? How long has it been since she started refusal? If you give it a day or two, do you think she might come back around to realizing that she feels better taking them than not? This is a tough one! :wacko:

She has not had any side effects. She is angry and defiant and said " I am going to teach you a lesson mommy....because you interrupted me today."

Is she taking pills or liquid?

The first 20 days was liquid augmentin. Then she was off abx for 4 days waiting for ped appt and then waiting for Rx to get the abx in. We will never have a gap again as I believe the gap in time really made a mess of things for us. The ped prescribed cephalexan for this 20 day round and asked dd is she'd like it in liquid or pill form and dd chose pills (4 per day-2 am, 2 pm). I do not think the ceph is working as well as the aug...she's so controlled by ocd right now.

DS complained a bunch at one point. I realized, after questioning him, that the taste and smell of the refill we got was different because we'd switched pharmacies and they used a different manufacturer. When we went back to the original for the next refill he was fine. could that be an issue?

Different abx entirely so perhaps that's the problem as well.

Every child has their own "right antibiotic". Unfortunately, the only way to figure out which is best for your child is through trial and error. If you think the Augmentin worked better, call and ask them to switch back. But don't throw away the script you have. Since it's pills, it has a longer shelf life and you will have something to fall back on in the event you need it.

If the new abx isn't working as well, I'd definitely see if switching back to Augmentin helps.

We started with Augmentin with some improvement but ended up needing to switch because he still got an infection. His dr. wanted to go with Omnicef as his second line treatment. That particular abx made EVERYTHING worse. I had never seen DS so full of rage and hopelessness and it really scared me. 24 hours on Biaxin produced a totally different child and made such a huge positive difference I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. It wasn't that the Omnicef wasn't working, it was actually increasing the problems.

It is so individual for each child. I wouldn't wait to finish the course after watching how much worse the wrong abx made things for us.

That's tough...when you have PANDAS defiance kicking in.

How about bribery/payment? There are a few times when we've PAID (our hopefully non-pandas younger dd) to take meds, or even a dollar for a throat culture. It made a big difference in her attitude (6 year old).

I don't know if it would work for an older child in a pandas exacerbation though...?

I have experienced this many times in the past with my dd14. It boils down to wanting some sort of control in their lives and being able to make choices. I like to make her part of the team so she buys in to the treatment. And in the end it's her choice as to whether she gets well or continues having intrusive thoughts, tics, rages, etc. She has never once opted for the wrong choice...thank goodness. Even with plasmapheresis, knowing that she will have to have the line either in her neck or groin. As long as she is made to feel like she is part of the team and has some sort of control she is fine. I also find that bribery works well although I prefer presenting it as a reward. She gave me a hard time about driving 18 hours to/from seeing Dr. L so I told her if she did well I would get her the contact lens she had been wanting for months.

Nancy

We always bribe with ice cream after a throat swab. This is where I guess I've been "lucky". My son was 5. Sometimes he refused to take his meds. But he was also only around 40 something pounds, so sadly I had to hold him down and squirt little by little the meds into the back of his cheek and wait for him to swallow.

That's tough...when you have PANDAS defiance kicking in.

How about bribery/payment? There are a few times when we've PAID (our hopefully non-pandas younger dd) to take meds, or even a dollar for a throat culture. It made a big difference in her attitude (6 year old).

I don't know if it would work for an older child in a pandas exacerbation though...?

Every child has their own "right antibiotic". Unfortunately, the only way to figure out which is best for your child is through trial and error. If you think the Augmentin worked better, call and ask them to switch back. But don't throw away the script you have. Since it's pills, it has a longer shelf life and you will have something to fall back on in the event you need it.

Thank you for that advice, we got a script for aug today... but I will keep the rest of the ceph in the event we need it in the future. I don't think I would have thought of that right now as we are in such an exacerbation. This forum is so helpful to me.

If the new abx isn't working as well, I'd definitely see if switching back to Augmentin helps.

We started with Augmentin with some improvement but ended up needing to switch because he still got an infection. His dr. wanted to go with Omnicef as his second line treatment. That particular abx made EVERYTHING worse. I had never seen DS so full of rage and hopelessness and it really scared me. 24 hours on Biaxin produced a totally different child and made such a huge positive difference I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. It wasn't that the Omnicef wasn't working, it was actually increasing the problems.

It is so individual for each child. I wouldn't wait to finish the course after watching how much worse the wrong abx made things for us.

The last few days have been terrible so we have taken everyone's advice and switched back to augmentin. Thankfully our pediatrician will do anything we ask for right now...and I keep telling her I'm getting my info from all of you, thank you!