ACN Latitudes Forums

Allergies & PANDAS

I always read the allergy posts with great interest (Thanks, Suzan, for a great one recently), because my dd's most severe onsets have been in April or May each year. I always felt that there had to be some sort of seasonal component, but have never been able to stalk it down. After blood tests & skin tests, she is allergic to NOTHING. We are in NC, and the pollen starts in March here & runs solid through June or July. Of course, other than ear infections, we see no issues with strep or titers either. May 25th is a dreaded day around here - if we make it through that date this year, I may have to offer up a sacrifice!

Anyway, last August, we added two things at once - Azith (for the PANDAS) and Prevacid (for her ulcers). Normally I add only one thing at a time - so we can see what helps, but this was an emergency on both fronts. I never imagined that the Prevacid would have anything to do with the OCD, and have attributed all her improvement to the azith.

We are now about to wean her off the Prevacid. But I read in the last topic about how Pepcid is actually an antihistimine. Which was a complete surprise to me, so I googled "prevacid & antihistimine". I found a number of articles that say that Prevacid is an antihistimine as well. And that antihistimines prevent the dialation of blood vessels. So I am wondering if the Prevacid is just healing her gut? Or if they are preventing something from her gut (strep?) from getting up to her brain? Or actually effecting her brain? And if so, what are my next steps?

I'm trying so hard not to mess with "success", but we really wanted to wean her off this medication. Anyone found any other studies about what effect this class of drug may actually have on the mechanisms actually involved in PANDAS? Any ideas from those of you that have a medical education? Or am I over-thinking this? Ack! :)

I don't have an answer for you ( because I am so new and still fumbling through everything :)) but I am waiting to test my ds on the 12th because EVERY MARCH I know know we have had an exacerbation- now that I know we have PANDAS....I told my mom today- he is psychotically allergic to something environmental in March that runs through April. He had strep during those times this year but I have to think there is an environmental connection too. My family all agrees that we really won't know how my ds is doing with PANDAS until next March- that will be the true test!

I will be definitely following this post to see what people suggest!

Brandy

I don't have an answer for you ( because I am so new and still fumbling through everything :)) but I am waiting to test my ds on the 12th because EVERY MARCH I know know we have had an exacerbation- now that I know we have PANDAS....I told my mom today- he is psychotically allergic to something environmental in March that runs through April. He had strep during those times this year but I have to think there is an environmental connection too. My family all agrees that we really won't know how my ds is doing with PANDAS until next March- that will be the true test!

I will be definitely following this post to see what people suggest!

Brandy

We did also trace exacerbations to ear infections - and recently removed her adnoids, as she seemed to have fluid in her ears & nose all the time. Just trying to remove all inflamatory sources. Thanks for the note - hopefully someone will have thoughts for both of us! Hope he is doing well now. We've made it through April... now for May....

I think you may be referring to one of my comments regarding my son's doc's recommendation to give claritin and pepcid ac. One of them blocks Histamine 1 (H1) and the other blocks Histamine 2 (H2). I don't fully understand it, but according to the doc theoretically, pepcid should contribute to the blocking of histamine, thereby blocking an immune response which could further exacerbate pandas symptoms. I don't know if prevacid is in the same class as pepcid, but I imagine that it may be since they both block/reduce stomach acid. Maybe the prevacid has helped your daughter and therefore I would watch as you wean off. If you notice a worsening of symptoms then maybe you should keep prevacid on or maybe you should try pepcid ac which is over the counter.

You have just made me think about something. When my younger son (he is now 2) was a baby he had what I thought to be terrible "silent" reflux. When I gave him prevacid he became a changed child, no more screaming in his crib, etc. SOOOO, one would assume that the child's tummy hurts when he lays down and the prevacid helps block stomach acid from hurting. Fast forward to 12 months, his reflux appears to be going away so I stopped prevacid and sure enough he was just fine. Now fast forward to 15 months and he develops eye tics, irritability, etc. He also had strep in his stool analysis that same week. Hmmm. I didn't know about pandas at the time and he was so fussy that I started to wonder if his reflux was coming back!! Turns out it was pandas! My point is, is it possible that during that first year that his episodes of fussiness and screaming when left in the crib was really due to PANDAS!!!!!!??????? I mean, he NEVER spit up, but prevacid turned his irritability around! I guess at this point it doesn't matter, but your post sure did make me think.

Do we all need to try a little prevacid in our kids???? It would be interesting for all of us to get together to do a little trial...

Stephanie

I always read the allergy posts with great interest (Thanks, Suzan, for a great one recently), because my dd's most severe onsets have been in April or May each year. I always felt that there had to be some sort of seasonal component, but have never been able to stalk it down. After blood tests & skin tests, she is allergic to NOTHING. We are in NC, and the pollen starts in March here & runs solid through June or July. Of course, other than ear infections, we see no issues with strep or titers either. May 25th is a dreaded day around here - if we make it through that date this year, I may have to offer up a sacrifice!

Anyway, last August, we added two things at once - Azith (for the PANDAS) and Prevacid (for her ulcers). Normally I add only one thing at a time - so we can see what helps, but this was an emergency on both fronts. I never imagined that the Prevacid would have anything to do with the OCD, and have attributed all her improvement to the azith.

We are now about to wean her off the Prevacid. But I read in the last topic about how Pepcid is actually an antihistimine. Which was a complete surprise to me, so I googled "prevacid & antihistimine". I found a number of articles that say that Prevacid is an antihistimine as well. And that antihistimines prevent the dialation of blood vessels. So I am wondering if the Prevacid is just healing her gut? Or if they are preventing something from her gut (strep?) from getting up to her brain? Or actually effecting her brain? And if so, what are my next steps?

I'm trying so hard not to mess with "success", but we really wanted to wean her off this medication. Anyone found any other studies about what effect this class of drug may actually have on the mechanisms actually involved in PANDAS? Any ideas from those of you that have a medical education? Or am I over-thinking this? Ack! :blink: