ACN Latitudes Forums

DTP Vaccine

No, but I will always believe my son's booster at age 6 was he cause of his asthma. He started wheezing with every cold 4 weeks after that booster. He had no other shots at the time. I later found info on the internet linking DTaP with asthma.

My non-PANDAS son is due for the DTP booster. Has anyone experienced neurological side effects from this vaccine?

Thanks,

Debbie

Hi Debbie,

My son went in for his 12 year check-up this past Feb... they wanted to do the DTP booster for his 7th grade requirement.

I told them no for now. He's post antibiotics and doing well, so I wanted to give him time to heal. He's also doing allergy shots and I didn't want to throw too much on him at once. I'm going to push it as long as possible and take him in right before school starts.

He had a Prevnar vaccine and had no problems. It's a hard choice...

When my 2 year old received his 4 month DTaP vaccine he had a very frantic crying fit that lasted for 30 minutes that afternoon (nothing soothed him, not even nursing which was very unusual for him). Over the next few weeks he lost all of his babbling and completely went mute for a very long time. I know it was that particular vaccine b/c I had been spacing the vaccines apart. He later went on to develop early signs of autism until we discontinued all vaccines and started biomedical interventions. he is still speech delayed but coming along very slowly and he also has pandas.

Personally, I feel that if you vaccinate any blood relative of a pandas child you are openning up the door for pandas or worse. My 5 year old went into his worst pandas episode after a polio vaccine! Who would have thought!

I don't mean to frighten anyone or sound like an anti-vaccine wacko, but I have seen enough in my house and we have all suffered quite a bit and I really believe that vaccines have played a big part in all of our problems...

Stephanie

My non-PANDAS son is due for the DTP booster. Has anyone experienced neurological side effects from this vaccine?

Thanks,

Debbie

My son had DTP, varicella booster and tetanus all at one time right before starting 6th grade. 5 minutes later he passed out cold on the way out of the doctors office. 1 week later he developed a fever and severe diarreah. One week after that he started into his worst PANDAS exacerbation ever that lasted upwards of 6 months. Could have been a viral trigger or could have been the vaccines. Too much of a coincidence for me to dismiss though. My younger son is due for these and I've decided to say "no" this time around (except for maybe the tetanus...).

Hi - we have only minimally vac'd my dd6 up 'til now and now won't be doing any more at all..

only exception being the tetanus as she rides and animals are a big reservoir supposedly and for some reason tetanus frightens me when the others don't so much. Dr B said he wouldn't be recommending any future vacs for her.

Tetanus is the T part and also the D part of DTP or DTaP as you can't get tetanus without the diptheria bit or so I've been told by state vac folks and many docs but if anyone knows different, I'd be interested.

So in a bit of a quandary as to what to do.. we got her titer tested for tetanus and she is borderline for coverage and our (increasingly) probable PANDAS ds2 has had no vacs but I feel similarly about tetanus for him and feel he needs it......

My oldest child, who by far has had the more severe PANDAS as compared to my other three children, received all her DPT vaccines. In 1996 when she was to receive her 2 month DPT, my physician talked me into giving her the old DPT rather than the DTaP, which was the recommeded at the time . The reccomendations at that time said to stop giving the DPT and use the new DTap. I was clueless as to the diference and trusted my DR at the time. My daughter literally screamed and cried and thrashed for the next day. I can't "prove" it was that, but I know it was.

My next three children have not had it at all, nor will they. IMO, the DPT or DTap is one of the worst vaccines for children with PANDAS. I rank it up there with MMR and varicella (chicken pox). My three children who did not have the DPT, all had pertussis two years ago and did fine. I think dyptheria sounds scary and so does tetanus, but I thought the same about pertussis until we went through it. BTW, my fully vaccinated teenage daughter ALSO got pertussis when my 3 sons had it- GO figure...

Bottom line is that you have to do what you think is right for your child/children. I just truly feel my daughter has suffered much more from PANDAS b/c of allthe vaccines she received.

Colleen

my daughter after DTP vaccine had an encephalitis, has hardly slept for 11 months, lost his speech. now she is 18 years has diagnosis of autism from the age of 5.she hasnot lost cognitive abilities, is in high school but was no longer able to speak.she express by writing and sign language. her life was ruined by the DTP vaccine.

Stephanie, it seems to me that

SLOWLY...parents who don't question what is being injected into their children and WHY might be getting the reputation of "wackos"

Comments section under the article might be worth reading too

my bold

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-bob-sears...o_b_563334.html

Today's USA Today story on the increasing trend of vaccine refusal shared some interesting information, but fell short of actually providing useful or workable answers. The article cites a new CDC study that showed in 2003 only 22 percent of parents refused or delayed a vaccine for their child, whereas in 2008 this number soared to 39 percent.

For many years I believe the CDC has been trying to hide the fact that more and more parents are refusing or delaying vaccines. Why? Because if compliant parents hear that their neighbors or friends are questioning vaccines, they might start to think, "Hmm ... maybe I should begin to question vaccines as well. I think I'll start doing some research and educating myself about vaccines instead of just taking my doctor's word for it."

These are a couple of things that I pulled up from links someone posted in comment section

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18845981

Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2008 Nov;27(11):1030-2.

Five-fold increase in pediatric parapneumonic empyema since introduction of pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.

Our analysis indicates that non-PCV7 serotypes became more prevalent at our institution after introduction of the vaccine.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3262480

Clin Pediatr (Phila). 1988 Oct;27(10):491-4.

Infectious episodes following diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus vaccination. A preliminary observation in infants.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14679101

Vaccinations may induce diabetes-related autoantibodies in one-year-old children.

We conclude that HIB vaccination may have an unspecific stimulatory polyclonal effect increasing the production of GADA and IA-2A. This might be of importance under circumstances when the beta cell-related immune response is activated by other mechanisms.

Hi - we have only minimally vac'd my dd6 up 'til now and now won't be doing any more at all..

only exception being the tetanus as she rides and animals are a big reservoir supposedly and for some reason tetanus frightens me when the others don't so much. Dr B said he wouldn't be recommending any future vacs for her.

Tetanus is the T part and also the D part of DTP or DTaP as you can't get tetanus without the diptheria bit or so I've been told by state vac folks and many docs but if anyone knows different, I'd be interested.

So in a bit of a quandary as to what to do.. we got her titer tested for tetanus and she is borderline for coverage and our (increasingly) probable PANDAS ds2 has had no vacs but I feel similarly about tetanus for him and feel he needs it......

dut,

would you know if the schools accept the titers results (showing immunity) if you have it?

Please, what is the difference between DTP and Dtap? are they the same vaccines? (Diptheria, tetanus, and pertussis?)...

Kim,

I forget, have you had these for your boys? (I know they are older than 11?).......

I am up for this in the coming year, and I am saying 'over my dead body'....they'lll have to carry me out first.

Varicella and meningitis are not 'required', so I'm staying away from that too. Pandas or not, I am feeling like they are a problem for tics......

Hi Faith - I'm not sure if schools will accept titers. I don't see why not if you could get a dr to write a letter quoting the test results.. it's the coverage that they require so i don't see why not. We haven't had to worry about it 'cos we live in Washington State which allows a philosophical exemption in addition to medical and religious.

Dr B said to me (when talking about our dd6 and testing pneumococcal titers and her not being vac'd with Prevnar and me not wanting her to be) that he wouldn't recommend vaxing a PANDAS child.

I hope I quoted him correctly and aren't getting him in trouble but if that's his opinion then if someone wants out and needs a medical exemption then maybe the PANDAS experts would be willing to write the opt out letters...

dut

thanks, I am planning religious, but just hope they don't challenge it. If the school accepts titers, I do have current proof of immunity to diptheria and pertussis, but it wasn't done on the tetanus. It isn't the school that approves it, it has to go to the district (the exemption letter) but the principal does have to sign off. I'd rather not have to go thru that in case they 'challenge', that's always a possibility in NY.

If anyone has succeeded in exemption in NY, or has presented proof of immunity, I'd love to hear about it. thanks.

Faith