ACN Latitudes Forums

Any thing happen if one misses abx dose?

Just a quick question.

My son is on a trial dose of abx (keflex) for 21 days, so the abx is not treating for strep or anything. (just so you know that)

My question is yesterday was the first day while on abx that he had a full day of non-stop phys. training for fire school. He was exposed to 900 degree temp putting out a controlled fire. He stopped for a break and took his abx and he said he felt very sluggish after that. (If you ask me anyone exposed to that kind of temp. on top of a 90 degree day, is going to be sluggish, but hey what do I know)

His instructor was yelling at him and cussing up a storm at him for the rest of the day. My son does not want to take the abx on the days at fire school now.

So since he is not taking the abx to treat an infection at this time, could he miss a dose and still see good results reguarding the tics? Have you all missed a dose and noticed it did not hurt your child's progress?

His dose is 250mg 4 times a day.

Thanks ,

cp

Hi CSP,

It sort of depends on what you are using the antibiotics for.

The halflife of keflex is 0.9 hours. This means for a standard dose of 250mg, by 8 hours there's about 0.9 mg left in his system. By 16 hours, 0.003mg. There are other metabolites so the numbers aren't perfectly right -- and different people have different elimination (renal) effectiveness, but generally, the reason for the 4x/day is because the half life is pretty short.

You might check with your doctor about alternate dosing.

Just checking though, if he's in fire school, does that mean he's doing pretty well at this point?

Buster

Just a quick question.

My son is on a trial dose of abx (keflex) for 21 days, so the abx is not treating for strep or anything. (just so you know that)

My question is yesterday was the first day while on abx that he had a full day of non-stop phys. training for fire school. He was exposed to 900 degree temp putting out a controlled fire. He stopped for a break and took his abx and he said he felt very sluggish after that. (If you ask me anyone exposed to that kind of temp. on top of a 90 degree day, is going to be sluggish, but hey what do I know)

His instructor was yelling at him and cussing up a storm at him for the rest of the day. My son does not want to take the abx on the days at fire school now.

So since he is not taking the abx to treat an infection at this time, could he miss a dose and still see good results reguarding the tics? Have you all missed a dose and noticed it did not hurt your child's progress?

His dose is 250mg 4 times a day.

Thanks ,

cp

Buster,

He is on a trial of Keflex because we did notics the vocals were less. Thank you for the break down. Sun. is the only day when he is in fire school for 10 hours. The other 2 days are just 3 hours long so not worried about those. I did want to make sure that if not taking the abx on Sun. (or at least missing a dose or two) would I still see good results reguarding the tics.

Yes, he is doing better then 2 years ago when he was screaming non-stop all day.

He still has vocals but more controlled and not as loud.

Fire school has been intense these last 2 1/2 months, he is 16yo and still a Soph. in high school, so the additional work has been tough. He will graduate form fire school at the end of July as long as he passes the final exam, and he will have earned himself 13 college credits if he graduates. So my face will be a tear streamed mess if he can do this. I am told the graduation ceremony is very nice. If anyone would have told me he would be doing this 4 years after his explosion with tics, I never would have believed it.

Stay hopeful folks God has a plan for your children.

Thanks again,

CP

Edited by CSP