ACN Latitudes Forums

Back to Augmentin or stay on Azithromycin

DS has been on Augmentin since Nov and has been doing GREAT. Actually the last 3 weeks he has shown Zero signs of PANDAS (makes me nervous to say). However, Monday he woke up complaining of stuffy nose and a little sore throat. Went to ped, did all of the normal stuff (strep tests - both negative). She suggested that we take him off the Augmentin and put him on Azithromycin for 5 days since Azithromycin gets some of the infections that Augmentin wont. I spoke to Dr. L and she agreed. I spoke to the ped again today and told her that he still had some of a stuffy nose and she wants to leave him on the Azithromycin for another 5 days. Stuffy nose, sinus stuff always led to strep infections for him.

It really makes me nervous him not being on the Augmentin. Augmentin and a steriod burst is what him out of PANDAS.

I sent another email to Dr. L, waiting on her respone.

Any thoughts ???!!!

Thanks, Michelle

I would ask about the risks of 2 abx at the same time. We kept on the azith & added a second (not augm) for an ear infection. That way, we did not lose the anti-inflam or immune modulating benefits of azith.

Thank you for the response.

He has never been on Azithromycin before; so I'm very nervous of it is strong enough for him. We have tried other anbiotics in the past that did nothing for him.