ACN Latitudes Forums

BE CAREFUL TAKING A PROBIOTIC SUPPLEMENTS

We have used HIGH DOSE probiotics from Custom Probiotics to no ill effect along with Kefir (make our own yogurts). It is one of the things that I believe has been extremely helpful in our son's recovery. Our entire family takes them under the guidance of a nutritionist that works very successfully with auto-immune. There are some studies being preformed at Stanford University currently with similar very promising results (told this by our Dr. there)

This particular study makes the distinction between high and low dose and taken from Dr. T website.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/P...s.200910307.pdf

Specifically as it relates to auto-immune.

http://markbrudnak.com/Articles/probiotics...immune_anti.htm

-Wendy

Edited by SF Mom

We've been using Culturelle Kids with dd6. How can you tell if it's effective or not? Is there an immediate result in temper after ingesting it?

I really don't know much about the various antibiotics, but want to be sure I'm giving an adequate amount, at the right times. Unfortunately, I've been giving her the Culturelle Kids at breakfast & dinner...the same time she takes her Azith. Apparently, this is not effective. I'm giong to have to work something out with her daycare/kindergarten as there are not enough hours that she's home on weekdays for me to give the abx and wait 2-3 hours to give the probiotic.

Can anyone recommend what dose & brand is most effective?

According to our doctor and some reading, antibiotics readily kill of acidolpholus organisms, which is the predominant organism type in both yogurt and kefir, so these should be sprinkled in some 2 to 3 hours before or after an abx dose.

However, the Sach B (found in FloraStor and other generic probiotics) and lactobillus (found in Culturelle and other generic probiotics) are more resistant to abx and will survive, at least to some extent, even if dosed concurrent with abx. Still, the conventional wisdom is to give them some space from the abx dosing for maximum benefit. When your kid is in school, etc., however, that's just not always an option.

So we dose with his abx at breakfast and at dinner, plus we give him additional units at lunch on weekends or with his after-school snack on week days, and then another round of probiotics at bed time, along with his melatonin. As a result, he rarely complains about any gut upset.

We've been using Culturelle Kids with dd6. How can you tell if it's effective or not? Is there an immediate result in temper after ingesting it?

I really don't know much about the various antibiotics, but want to be sure I'm giving an adequate amount, at the right times. Unfortunately, I've been giving her the Culturelle Kids at breakfast & dinner...the same time she takes her Azith. Apparently, this is not effective. I'm giong to have to work something out with her daycare/kindergarten as there are not enough hours that she's home on weekdays for me to give the abx and wait 2-3 hours to give the probiotic.

Are you giving the Azith. 2x daily? You could simplify thing by giving the full daily dose at once (eg give both doses at breakfast)...then give the probiotics after school and/or at dinnertime. Most of us take Azith. 1x daily.

Also, does your dd bring her own lunch or snack? You could put some pudding or yogurt in her lunch and mix the probiotic into that...I don't think it has much of a taste.

Are you giving the Azith. 2x daily? You could simplify thing by giving the full daily dose at once (eg give both doses at breakfast)...then give the probiotics after school and/or at dinnertime. Most of us take Azith. 1x daily.

Also, does your dd bring her own lunch or snack? You could put some pudding or yogurt in her lunch and mix the probiotic into that...I don't think it has much of a taste.

Yes, we are doing 200 mg of Azith 2 times a day. Is taking 400 mg 1xday safe for her size? She's 48 lbs.

She doesn't bring her own food. Snacks and lunch are cooked and served there.

Yes, we are doing 200 mg of Azith 2 times a day. Is taking 400 mg 1xday safe for her size? She's 48 lbs.

Yes, its safe. Zith is taken up by the tissues anyway, and has a long half life, so most of the 1st 200mg is still in the body when you give the 2nd dose anyway. The once a day dosage is one of the (many) things I really like about zith!

My son used to be on 80 cfu's per day and that just wasn't cutting it in terms of yeast and bacteria build-up from the abx. He was getting hyper and aggressive from yeast/bateria. My doc told me to up the dose to about 450 bill per day and it really made a difference in behavior.

We like Custom Probiotics www.customprobiotics.com. My son uses the D-Lactate Free formula that they recommend for autism (no dairy or strep in it). You could email the company and tell them about how much abx your dd is on and they can give you a product recommendation. When you first see the price you will fall over in your chair, but when I did the cost comparison with Culturelle you are getting WAY more product per dollar. One bottle will last a long time.

Anyway, your daughter is on a very high dose of zith, so she can only benefit from a huge dose of probiotics. Oh, and I had one doctor tell me 1 hour away from abx and another tell me 2 hours away. I do 2 hours when I can, but sometimes have to do 1 hour. Preferrably, you should give the abx first, wait, then give the probiotic so it can work on her tummy all day. Then do the same thing at night (it will do some good sitting in her gut undisturbed all night).

Stephanie