ACN Latitudes Forums

Can 'exposure' trigger symptoms?

Hi everyone...it's been a while...but I have a quick question...

Alex's tics never really went away completely after gettting strep in September (he was completely symptom free all summer)....he is on 125mg Azith daily...

two weeks ago he came to me as said he started 'counting' again...his steps and movements.....this broke my heart as he hasn't "counted" since June 09...

off to the doctor last Wednesday and rapid and 48 hr cultures of strep A & B negative...(which puts me back on the 'crazy mother' train again...)

his seasonal allergies are full swing being controlled by Zyrtec

The teacher just told me today that the child who sits next to him was out Tuesday with strep...

So, my question...can simple exposure trigger an exaserbation coupled by a hightened immune response to the allergies?

Hi everyone...it's been a while...but I have a quick question...

Alex's tics never really went away completely after gettting strep in September (he was completely symptom free all summer)....he is on 125mg Azith daily...

two weeks ago he came to me as said he started 'counting' again...his steps and movements.....this broke my heart as he hasn't "counted" since June 09...

off to the doctor last Wednesday and rapid and 48 hr cultures of strep A & B negative...(which puts me back on the 'crazy mother' train again...)

his seasonal allergies are full swing being controlled by Zyrtec

The teacher just told me today that the child who sits next to him was out Tuesday with strep...

So, my question...can simple exposure trigger an exaserbation coupled by a hightened immune response to the allergies?

Most definitely! We see an upswing in behavior even with exposure in our daughter's classroom. We saw an upswing in behaviors January through March this year even while on a low dose prophylactic antibiotic. Behaviors have nearly diminished now that strep season at our school seems to be ending. She is currently not on an antibiotic and we are praying that she remains healthy!

Yes, exposure can cause an increase in PANDAS behaviors. Many parents will compare their kids to being a canary in a coal mine or having a severe peanut allergy. You can discuss with your doctor about increasing antibiotics right now just in case strep was contracted and you got a false negative on the culture (which can happen when being tested while on abx).

Allergies can increase PANDAS symptoms as well.

Can he take Ibuprofen? That may ease symptoms.

Edited by Vickie

From experience I would say yes. Last September my son's tics started after his brother came down with the strep the first week back at school. They get better and worse, but we've never been able to get rid of them completely.

yes- yes- yes!

My dd starts to ramp up a bit for a few days, then I usually get an email that someone was diagnosed with strep.

It has been really bad in her class this year, she has not had a break. She is on steroids now, to try to tamp down her reaction to heavy strep exposure. I think there must be a few kids that are undiagnosed or are carriers in her class. It started with about 10 kids having strep during a 3 week period (two of them twice), and since then about one kid every other week. Ugh!

THANK YOU!!!!!!....all of you just made me feel so much better...

I just got back from a school event and found strep is rampant in his class right now...

His first Neuro appt with the new practice in not until the end of September (his old one moved to nebraska) , but they said if I need to push it up to have the pediatrician call...EXCEPT...I just found out our insurance is changing plans and won't know the details until this afternoon....if the new insurance won't cover the new doctor I will have to go private insurance with the same carrier...but then a wait period...and then there's the pre-existing condition exclusion which I think still in in effect for a few months...

SO before I go pushing up an appointment (or move to nebraska :( )...I figured I would check with all of you...

If this is common....I feel comfortable waiting it out and bumping up his prophylactic dose as his last neuro had me do once before...

His end of grade tests are in 10 days so this couldn't have come at a worse time...

oh...and yes...he can take ibuprofen...what dosage do you recommend? He is 9 about 57lbs...

thanks again,

--Lisa

Edited by Lisa1971

According to my Ibuprofen box, here is the dosing...

48-59 lbs= 2 tsp which is 200mg

60-71 lbs=2 1/2 tsp which is 250 mg

If your son is 57 lbs, he's close enough to the 60 lb cut off that you could go to the 250 mg in dye free liquid. Does he take a pill or liquid? Pills only come in 200mg . So, if takes pills, give him only one adult pill.

Lisa-

I have found, most of the times, when the exposure is gone, my daughter will go back to her current baseline in a couple of days.

If his tests are really important, is there any possibility of a week off- to limit exposure (if you think there still is some in class) and let his system calm down?

Lisa,

My son is in the same boat... doing great since Sept 09 except his eye tics. This past week everything started slipping again! I hate that sick panic in my gut!

Thank goodness his local non- pandas doctor gave us 2 weeks of Augmentin. He seems to be doing slight bit better.

This just proves our children are just in remission and we probably will be dealing with blips on the radar for a while...

Can't wait for a cure!

Shannon