ACN Latitudes Forums

Eliminating artificial ingredients' impact on tics

Claire

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, as Heather says, there are GOOD antioxidants--glutathione, selenium, Vit C, alpha lipoic acid, that the body needs to detox itself. For example, this is how the body naturally gets rid of metals. These are different from the preservatives.

Also, the diet restriction/yeast thing is a bit of a catch 22 and the two can be interrelated. e.g. most things I read say that you must eliminated sensitivite foods to heal the gut and reduce yeast, plus they say if you kill the excess yeast and replace it with healthy 'probiotics', which will reduce the food sensitivities.

Furthermore, elevated metals depresses the immune system and can aggravate yeast and gut issues.

For AusClare's children the food elimination may have done the job. For our son, food elimination made a big difference in fidgetiness, but his yeast actually went way up, so we are still dealing with it. I suspect for others where food elimination wasn't enough, they just have other issues to deal with.

I am personally still taking the Threelac that Heather recommended for yeast. No formal measurement yet, but I feel like it is helping.

Claire

ps Ausclare, I bumped up your success story, thanks a million.

My understanding on the theory regarding food elimination is that:

When you eliminate the offending foods the tics will stop but this does not get rid of the yeast. The yeast is still in the intestine and will always affect your digestive system when you eat the triggering foods so you will have to avoid the foods indefinitely and you are not correcting the root cause of the problem. The goal is to kill the yeast to improve digestion so that you can once again tolerate the foods that you are sensitive to. As Claire said, you need to get rid of the yeast to reduce the food sensitivities. The goal is to ultimately to be able to tolerate the foods again that are triggering the tics.

That is why I would recommend to you Ausclare to try an added supplement to kill the yeast. Since your son's tics returned severely with the trip to camp, there are still digestive issues that perhaps could be corrected if the yeast was gone.

Heather

Hi Heather,

Thanks everyone for the advice on the yeast, I'l be looking into that one next!

The antioxidents I was talking about in processed food are different to the "good ones' we get from eg Vit C and bioflavoniods.

I found this website which will explain it a bit better

wwwscieng.murdoch.edu.au/teach/env222.

Or type in Food additives and contaminants under search.

As a quick overview, these three antioxidants are in any food that needs certain vege oil in the processing, They prevent the oil from going rancid. I have seen it listed a lot where they use GM canola oil.

Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) 321

Initially developed as an antioxidant for use with petroleum and rubber.

Causes cancer in mice and rats and possible reproductive failure. :)

Found in polyethylene wrap and can transfer to food when touching the food for any length of time or when heated.

Not permitted in Australia for infant or young childrens food.

If you need any more info on this stuff let me know.

LOL

Ausclare

Butylated hydroxanisole (BHA) 320

In Australia not permitted in infant or young childrens food- found in gum and dairy blend edible oils, potato chips, biscuits, and some dips.

tert- Butyhydrquinone (tBHQ) 319

As above for 320.

I know it sounds scary, but many of the general public really don't know whats in our food or where they get these chemicals from.

Thanks Ausclare,

I did not realize that these substances were actually called antioxidants. I had only heard of the GOOD antioxidants. Thanks for clarifying that.

In the spring I became a member of the Feingold Association of the United States. The 3 substances that you mention above TBHQ, BHA and BHQ are the exact ones that Feingold tells you to omit from the diet. They have researched all of the Brand names that do not contain oil with these preservatives by phoning companies that produce and manufacture the products. They provide a published list of all SAFE foods which identifies brand names that do not contain these preservatives.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of children (ADHD, tics, Aspergers, etc.) that have been helped by omitting these and other additives from their diet. Many members post each day with recipe ideas and sharing tidbits.

I have heard of BHT being used in plastic wraps as you say, to keep foods fresher longer. I have heard of it being in plastic water bottles. Is there any way of knowing which plastic wraps use the BHT?

Heather

Hi Heather,

I think all plastic wraps have it in them, I haven't looked into that, I just try to avoid them all and use greaseproof paper where possible. If I have to store stuff in the fridge, I use glass/ china bowls with a plate over the top. The same goes for the microwave. I really try to avoid using mine, but if I do, I use other plates to cover the food, not plastic

Apparently our Ikea stores have really good glass containers with seals. I have to find time to get to one.

With plastic drink bottles all plastic leaches chemicals, no matter how much the companies tell you they don't. This is especially true if they are heated. ie- if left on the seat of a warm car in the sun or if you pour hot liquids into them.

I know it sounds paranoid, but the more I read the more I find to be outright lies or carefully worded reassurance put out by companies to sell their products.

I would really like to find out the TS rate in the Amish communities and the third world countries who don't have access to all this stuff.

LOL

Clare :wacko:

Hi Everyone,

What I am discovering is that the yeast problem can create a "leaky gut" which can in-turn also affect other organs. I have found an excellent article that explains this very well.

http://www.ei-resource.org/lgs.asp

Thanks for all your help everyone, I have been doing the elimination diet now for 19 days and I have seen incredible changes in the tics (intensity,frequency) and hyper-activity. We have also eliminated the TV completely during this time. The tics have not completely disappeared yet but we are really on the right track. :-)

Now my aim is to repair the damage.

Thanks!

Evangelia

For anyone who has done the yeast elimination diets, and also the treatments with capryllic acid and or Threelac........

if you are still having persistant yeast problems then colonic irrigation is often the only way to fully cleanse out, detox and heal.

It aint no fun <_< but the results are remarkable, whether for yeast or just general health etc.

Hi Chemar,

I've often wondered about colonics, is it really freaky?

Do you have to have more then one treatment?

I've sourced some phone numbers, but haven't had time to ring.

I think it would be really refreshing to have all those toxins removed.

Did your kids have it?

Ausclare (forgot to log on) <_<

Evangelia,

This is absolutely marvelous to hear, I am soooo happy for your good start. Would you mind giving more details for other newcomers to learn from? e.g. What elimination diet did you end up doing? I know from your first post that you had started eliminating some things and his tics got worse initially. Did they just improve from there, or did you end up eliminating more foods as you were considering, or is this when you added eliminating TV?

I am bumping up the food sensitivity thread, it would be very helpful to many if you could post the details there.

The good news i

Great link on leaky gut. I have thought I have had this for some time now (due to high yeast) and have started taking glutamine to help heal it. (Of course I am treating the yeast and elminating foods I am sensitive to also). But your link is the best explanation that I have seen for it. I have heard that wheat is a very large molecule by the way.

It makes me wonder why they say the large molecules get through. I have heard this before, so I am not debating it, but you would think that if the intestinal wall was more permeable that the small molecules would squeeze through first...

Claire

feel like i'm coming out of the haze that was this weird sinus pressure problem... really got me worried, but it seems to be clear now. my strict organic (mostly made from scratch at home) diet is going on week5 and losing weight.

To backtrack on some comments/questions from Claire (appreciate your thoughts on this), i have an LCD monitor at home and a CRT at work - doesn't seem to make much diff (had also up'd the refresh rate at work per my husband's sugg, but did not help either). i'm on the computer on and off throughout the whole day.

As to the tests, i had gotten the IGE (which my dr, who belongs to the associations mentioned here, says is suff in detecting any delayed reactions as well). i did that test through quest diagnostics for insurance reasons, but should i consider re-doing test with IGG??? Can it be done through Quest, or should i stick with elisaact.com for any particular reason? i haven't done any other tests, like spit yeast or metal. my doc did not think metal toxicity would be an issue - although i don't know how he would know that. doc seems to be really stuck on food allergy being the cause and nothing else, which is frustrating. i feel i have thoroughly explored the food route without seeing results.

i would like to know what the next line of action should be, but he doesn't seem to have any besides testing for more food reactions.

i'm willing to commit finances for working towards treating my ts, but i certainly would feel better about it if i were seeing more dramatic results from the efforts.

i have a good hepa filter at home. but i'm wondering if i should start getting shots for mold - which i have allegies to.

also wondering if supplements should be my next plan of action or biofeedback. over-under/methylation thread seems very intriguing too. has anyone also had any experience with bioenergy treatment?

in my case,

food elimination was an eye-opening experience on how much additives and processed food we put into our bodies, and my body does feel less over-whelmed. but i don't think it's gotten to the root of my ts. but having eliminated stress causing food from my diet, i was able to see more clearly what seems to aggrevate the tics, such as fluctuations in emotions, tasks that require concentration, tv and internet.

• 2 months later...

PER MEMBERS SUGGESTIONS HERE, I HAVE TRIED TO GET SOME OF THE TESTS DONE THAT WERE MENTIONED HERE IN THE FORUM - BUT I AM RUNNING INTO SOME REAL OBSTACLES.

1) ELISA/ACT AND SPECTRACELL TEST KITS CANNOT BE SENT TO ANYWHERE IN NY STATE, WHERE I LIVE. BECAUSE OF LAWS IN NEW YORK, APPARENTLY LABS THAT DO NOT HAVE OFFICES IN NEW YORK CANNOT WORK WITH NEW YORK DOCTORS.

2) SO I FOUND A DOCTOR IN MY PARENTS' STATE (WHERE I WILL BE VISITING OVER THE HOLIDAYS) WHO IS FAMILILAR WITH THE ELISA AND THE SPECTRACELL LABS, BUT NOW I WILL HAVE TO PAY NEARLY $300 IN INITIAL CONSULT ALL OVER AGAIN AND THEN HE WILL CHARGE AROUND $1500 FOR THE ELISA COMPREHENSIVE TEST. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN GET AROUND PAYING SO MUCH? OR IS THIS A REASONABLE COST FOR THE ELISA TEST?

ARE THERE OTHER LABS THAT I CAN WORK WITH MY DOCTOR IN NY THAT ARE COMPARABLE? THE LABS THEMSELVES ALL SAY THERE IS NO OTHER LAB THAT WOULD BE SIMILAR. THIS SEEMS CRAZY.

I'VE DONE WHAT I CAN FROM FOOD ELIMINATION DIET POINT, BUT I WAS REALLY LOOKING FOR SOME OF THESE TESTS TO GIVE ME REAL GUIDANCE.

PLEASE HELP.

City girl,

Why don't you try Immunolabs (search via Google)? We did that test first, and elisaact later, the food test is the same, elisaact just offers more choices on artificial additives. Maybe they have offices there?

I have never heard of such a thing! That is awful.

Gloria

GLORIA,

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION. I WANTED TO DO ELISA/ACT BECAUSE OF THE ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS TESTING AS WELL.

IS THE COST OF $1500 SEEM IN LINE TO YOU? I DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS SUCH AN EXPENSIVE TEST.

WHAT ABOUT THE PFEIFFER INSTITUTE? WOULD THEY DO THESE KINDS OF TEST AND MORE ALL IN ONE?

Citygirl,

No way $1500! Sorry, I missed that question. There biggest test is $1015, and you don't need that one. I think the standard foods test is around $300 (like Immunolabs).

I just called them because I am ordering a new test right now (coincidentally).

The test I got (that I recommend if you want more than foods) was $600, and they said the price hasn't changed. It is called:

Comprehensive Analyses (shows number of items they test for in each category)

Food 234 (includes GLUTEN, CASEIN and SALICYLATES

Environmental Chemical 60

Mold 28 (includes candida albicans)

Additive/Preservative 27

Food Coloring 14

Toxic Mineral/Metal 12

TOTAL 375 items tested

http://www.elisaact.com/test/pdfs/EAB_Combos_NonHP.pdf

It is a big price savings if you order the "Comprehensive Analysis" package vs ordering each block of tests separately. Maybe that is what your doctor was looking at.

I will do the $600 one again--it is the best deal. I found out I was allergic to pinene, which is in most floor cleaners. Well, I knew I reacted for the whole day when our housekeepers came in (trouble breathing). I now replaced their floor cleaners and I have zero reaction when they clean, and I am here when they do it.

This is the first salicylate test I have seen. The gluten/casein/salicylate test alone would save a lot of trial and error. They test for butter and yogurt, not just milk...you get the idea, lots of finetuning which minimizes what you must restrict.

Claire