ACN Latitudes Forums

Mycoplasma pneumoniae

Kay

I would like to hear from people whose children had high titers Igg and negative for Igm for Mycoplasma pneumoniae and were treated with Bixian and what are the results. Also if another antibiotic was used to treat it what was that?

I know of some who have had high Igg's only and treated with Biaxian and have had good results, I am wondering if it is a lasting effect, if there has been on going high dose, prophylactic antibiotic and at what dose?

Any info would be helpful. Daughter (19) has been dx with Pandas, we are currently treating with omnicef (had augmentin in the beginning with great results, but stomach problems with it) Omnicef still seems to be helping although at a slower pace. I know it is not what treats mycoplasma p, but doctors seem unwilling to treat the Igg. I am trying to get as much info as I can regarding the treatment in others to bring with us to our next appointments. I know Dr. T does treat it but I would like to have some sucess stories to bring with us.

I did write also to Prof Garth Nicolson a link was put up on here last week sometime for the work he is doing with Gulf War Syndrome and he was helpful in explaining why Igg would be treated. But again I would like some sucess stories to take with us along with this other information.

Thank you for any information you can pass along.

Kay

Hi,

my son is being treated for high IgG only. Kinda useful info, maybe, but in our case we were just clearing up some residual behavior stuff, as he was actually fine since being treated one year ago with flagyl and vancomycin for (probably unrelated) gut infection. But our doc gave him biaxin (clarithromycin) on April 1. We did see behavior and mood improvement, that was actually quite drastic. He'll be on another course beginning today, and then lower dose for two more weeks. We only had some taste issue, no stomach trouble with it. It will be hard for me to determine whether it is "lasting" or not. But, so far, so good!

Mary

I would like to hear from people whose children had high titers Igg and negative for Igm for Mycoplasma pneumoniae and were treated with Bixian and what are the results. Also if another antibiotic was used to treat it what was that?

I know of some who have had high Igg's only and treated with Biaxian and have had good results, I am wondering if it is a lasting effect, if there has been on going high dose, prophylactic antibiotic and at what dose?

Any info would be helpful. Daughter (19) has been dx with Pandas, we are currently treating with omnicef (had augmentin in the beginning with great results, but stomach problems with it) Omnicef still seems to be helping although at a slower pace. I know it is not what treats mycoplasma p, but doctors seem unwilling to treat the Igg. I am trying to get as much info as I can regarding the treatment in others to bring with us to our next appointments. I know Dr. T does treat it but I would like to have some sucess stories to bring with us.

I did write also to Prof Garth Nicolson a link was put up on here last week sometime for the work he is doing with Gulf War Syndrome and he was helpful in explaining why Igg would be treated. But again I would like some sucess stories to take with us along with this other information.

Kay

Thank you too Mary! All info is good!

Hi,

my son is being treated for high IgG only. Kinda useful info, maybe, but in our case we were just clearing up some residual behavior stuff, as he was actually fine since being treated one year ago with flagyl and vancomycin for (probably unrelated) gut infection. But our doc gave him biaxin (clarithromycin) on April 1. We did see behavior and mood improvement, that was actually quite drastic. He'll be on another course beginning today, and then lower dose for two more weeks. We only had some taste issue, no stomach trouble with it. It will be hard for me to determine whether it is "lasting" or not. But, so far, so good!

Mary

Kay

My ds14 had the IgG, not IgM. First 14 day course on Biaxin was variable. First few days were dramatic (hyper almost giddy mood) and then 5 days in symptoms intermittently reappeared. We discontinued after day 14 to see if that made things any worse. He definitely became more consistently edgy and compulsive off of it, so we re-started. Again, the first few days we got serious mood improvement. It tapered down, but this time we got 25 without rages and about 22 days with no "serious" interference of OCD. We were thrilled and hopeful. Then last week we say re-emergence and sure enough he got sick, had two horrible exorcist fits (one of which showed uncontrollable body movements) and huge increase in OCD thoughts/functioning. We are on day 5 of steroid burst today - seeing slow improvement. Still on Biaxin for another week. So for us, the jury is still out. On another note, we did several 20 day courses of Omnicef and one 50 day course before switching to Biaxin. The Omnicef helped us get out of very severe daily crisis, but the Biaxin seems like it has been more effective to date.

Wornoutmom,

Thanks for the input...this is exactly what I am looking for. It seems it is very individual even with the biaxin as far as how it reacts with each person. Good information to have. I was just afraid we were missing something, that we weren't trying it and it was the cure all for some...still it maybe something to try down the road for us but I need this feedback so thanks.

Kay

My ds14 had the IgG, not IgM. First 14 day course on Biaxin was variable. First few days were dramatic (hyper almost giddy mood) and then 5 days in symptoms intermittently reappeared. We discontinued after day 14 to see if that made things any worse. He definitely became more consistently edgy and compulsive off of it, so we re-started. Again, the first few days we got serious mood improvement. It tapered down, but this time we got 25 without rages and about 22 days with no "serious" interference of OCD. We were thrilled and hopeful. Then last week we say re-emergence and sure enough he got sick, had two horrible exorcist fits (one of which showed uncontrollable body movements) and huge increase in OCD thoughts/functioning. We are on day 5 of steroid burst today - seeing slow improvement. Still on Biaxin for another week. So for us, the jury is still out. On another note, we did several 20 day courses of Omnicef and one 50 day course before switching to Biaxin. The Omnicef helped us get out of very severe daily crisis, but the Biaxin seems like it has been more effective to date.

My dd age 10 has been on Biaxin for nearly 60 days. She had high IgG, not high IgM. It very clearly works for her. We call it a miracle drug in our house. We know for sure it's working because we tried to go without it for 2 weeks and she spiraled back down to where she started and she had come to about 95% improvement during the first 30 days. It's frustrating at times because she would get better and then there would be a period of time where whe thought she had plateued. Then, she would go forward again. During this last round, we have seen even more improvements. I would say we are back to 95% inching up even closer to that 100%. I would say the one thing for sure that it did, and did quickly was stabilize her mood. Her mood is phenonmenal while on it and horrible when off. Biaxin works for her almost like an SSRI would work for someone with straight OCD. Just last week she stopped wetting the bed for the first time in years. I'm still trying to figure out if that is the Biaxin working on the PITAND or her age. I'm hoping it's the Biaxin working on the PITAND!!! ON another note, I would love it if you could PM me and let me know what Dr. Nicholson said as to his reasons for treating IgG.

Kim