ACN Latitudes Forums

some advice needed please

bev

Hi all,

I havent been on for a while as things had seemed settled (still ticcing - but not too bad). Anyway, for various reasons I decided to take son off taurine 3 days ago. Today he has started with more tics (same tics just more of them) and I am wondering if its connected to the taurine? He also ate a Macdonalds meal tonight and am wondering if this could also have had an effect? He normally eats very healthy 'free from' food - but just gave him a treat. Would stopping the taurine show a marked difference? I am thinking I might start him back on it tomorrow - any advice? He also just turned 12 x 2 weeks ago so wondering if his age is something to do with it? Thanks. x

hi bev

glad to hear things have been improving tho sorry you are having to deal with waxing again

the answer is yes and yes and yes :)

stopping a supp that has been helping can result in a waxing

and

eating junkfood, especially after a long period of pure food, can also be a trigger. I have no idea what McDonald's puts in their food but I do remember it as being a major trigger for my son, both re tics and gut issues

and yes, as kids (especially boys) with TS enter the hormonal years, it seems the tics wax too, likely due to the dopaminergic effect of steroidal hormones

you mention there were a number of reasons for stopping the taurine

not knowing what those were makres it hard to say whether you should start it again

but if none were serious issues, then I would think it may be worthwhile restarting the taurine and see if the tics reduce again which would indicate to me that his system needs it

hi bev

glad to hear things have been improving tho sorry you are having to deal with waxing again

the answer is yes and yes and yes :wacko:

and

eating junkfood, especially after a long period of pure food, can also be a trigger. I have no idea what McDonald's puts in their food but I do remember it as being a major trigger for my son, both re tics and gut issues

and yes, as kids (especially boys) with TS enter the hormonal years, it seems the tics wax too, likely due to the dopaminergic effect of steroidal hormones

not knowing what those were makres it hard to say whether you should start it again

but if none were serious issues, then I would think it may be worthwhile restarting the taurine and see if the tics reduce again which would indicate to me that his system needs it

Hi Cheri,

The reasons I stopped the taurine were that my son is diabetic and i had read that it can lower BP and also lower blood glucose levels. I also read somewhere (cant remember where now) that for one child it actually made things worse. But after I posted the message I decided to put him back on it as things were quite bad after the macdonalds food etc.

I have chatted with him today and explained that, for now, we need to keep his food 'clean' and he understands. I am guessing the macdonalds food contains msg and various other 'nasties' so will keep away from it for now.

Is there a list of 'clean' foods available on here I could look at? I nearly bought some ham today at the deli - but then thought it may contain preservatives and other things - but i do need these sorts of things for sandwiches for school lunch - any ideas? I noticed also that bacon has preservatives in!

I was of the impression that age 12 was the peak 'tic' age and that things mostly started to get better rather than worse around this age group. So are you saying that things are likely to get worse as my son goes into puberty?

Thankyou for your reply - very helpful.

Bev x

hi bev

the answer is yes and yes and yes :)

and

Hi Cheri,

The reasons I stopped the taurine were that my son is diabetic and i had read that it can lower BP and also lower blood glucose levels. I also read somewhere (cant remember where now) that for one child it actually made things worse. But after I posted the message I decided to put him back on it as things were quite bad after the macdonalds food etc.

I have chatted with him today and explained that, for now, we need to keep his food 'clean' and he understands. I am guessing the macdonalds food contains msg and various other 'nasties' so will keep away from it for now.

Is there a list of 'clean' foods available on here I could look at? I nearly bought some ham today at the deli - but then thought it may contain preservatives and other things - but i do need these sorts of things for sandwiches for school lunch - any ideas? I noticed also that bacon has preservatives in!

I was of the impression that age 12 was the peak 'tic' age and that things mostly started to get better rather than worse around this age group. So are you saying that things are likely to get worse as my son goes into puberty?

Thankyou for your reply - very helpful.

Bev x

Bev

I buy the Hormel lunchmeat and bacon that does not contain preservatives. I get this at jewel or Walmart.

Mar