ACN Latitudes Forums

Weighted blankets- do they help?

As you know I am new to this, my ds is 7 and as I spend HOURS researching everything under the planet to help my son I am wondering if he has some sensory integration issues- if he does they are mild and have been very manageable- For example- He has had me remove tags in shirts for years- won't ever wear Ambercrombie shirts because the tag is sewn in flat and "bugs" him. He can't wear socks if they are not on right- will sometimes wear them inside out to avoid the seam. He would prefer I hold him all night long to sleep and took me years to get to sleep in his own bed-he still asks if I will sleep with him sometimes but I don't because I am afraid to get that started again!!! He still wakes me up at night- especially when exacerbated. This has gotten MUCH better but still happens ( like :angry: last night and of course I could not get back to sleep- that is how the co-sleeping for years started in the first place)

He prefers to sleep with his thick comforter even when it is too warm-I wonder if it is because of the weighted feeling- would a weighted blanket help him- any thoughts or experience?

Thanks

Brandy

Sounds like there probably is sensory integrative disorder. But, before you start buying a lot of things and just try to figure it all out on your own, find a really good Pediatric OT who specializes in Sensory Integrative Disorder (not all do, and ask them what kind of training, how much experience before using them) to do an evaluation. The evaluation should consist of standardized testing (there are multiple assessments that can be used, as long as the OT knows how to interpret them, rather than just reporting on the results), plus a really good observation should be done by the trained OT.

More than likely, the OT will find what you have found, BUT, there may be more than one thing contributing to the problem, and it is also possible that one SI problem, such as treating tactile/(touch) could help speech, for instance. So, my recommendation would be to get the assessment, before trying to treat individual parts of the entire disorder.

Trudy

sensory issues come with the package of PANDAS. I used to have my 5 year old in OT, until I realized he was getting strep from the OT clinic! Also, I realized that when the pandas is in remission, so are most of his sensory issues.

I did get a weighted blanket and it does help my son fall asleep. Also, melatonin works even better, helps him suppress his tics so he can sleep.

Stephanie

As you know I am new to this, my ds is 7 and as I spend HOURS researching everything under the planet to help my son I am wondering if he has some sensory integration issues- if he does they are mild and have been very manageable- For example- He has had me remove tags in shirts for years- won't ever wear Ambercrombie shirts because the tag is sewn in flat and "bugs" him. He can't wear socks if they are not on right- will sometimes wear them inside out to avoid the seam. He would prefer I hold him all night long to sleep and took me years to get to sleep in his own bed-he still asks if I will sleep with him sometimes but I don't because I am afraid to get that started again!!! He still wakes me up at night- especially when exacerbated. This has gotten MUCH better but still happens ( like :blink: last night and of course I could not get back to sleep- that is how the co-sleeping for years started in the first place)

He prefers to sleep with his thick comforter even when it is too warm-I wonder if it is because of the weighted feeling- would a weighted blanket help him- any thoughts or experience?

Thanks

Brandy

We love weighted stuff at our house. I never purchased a weighted blanket but I made "heavy pillows" out of felt rectangles and rice. I sewed them up and added 2-3 lbs of rice each. And also heavy tubes that you could hang over your shoulders. I would lay them on their legs, arms, torso, head, anywhere. Then they would just fall off as they squirmed later after they fell asleep. They would carry them around, put them on their laps, etc. whenever they felt they needed the pressure.

Susan

Our DD9's PANDAS issue have come with a whole host of sensory things - itches, clothing issues, light issues, sound issues.

We did find that pressure and weight can help. We also have had good success with melatonin as a sleep aid.

Honestly though - for us - we didn't start seeing significant sleep improvement until being post-IVIG and on significant antibiotics.

Pixiesdaddy

The SI issues are exacerbated with PANDAS exacerbations. An OT can give you a good "sensory diet" (meaning specific sensory inputs - not foods to eat)... that can help during exacerbations. Some kids need ongoing OT intervention if they also have true SI dysfunction, but many PANDAS kids just need sensory management during an exacerbation. I agree with the other posters. The book "the out of sync child" by Kranowitz is also a good resource.

The SI issues are exacerbated with PANDAS exacerbations. An OT can give you a good "sensory diet" (meaning specific sensory inputs - not foods to eat)... that can help during exacerbations. Some kids need ongoing OT intervention if they also have true SI dysfunction, but many PANDAS kids just need sensory management during an exacerbation. I agree with the other posters. The book "the out of sync child" by Kranowitz is also a good resource.

With as many Doctors that I have been to over the years- it is amazing that this never came up-.....Thank God for the internet and for all of you!!! thanks for the feedback- I think he will really do well with it- My mom is a sewing Wiz and he has asked to sew something this weekend- Maybe we can make something to see if he likes it!

Brandy

http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/ excellent website and book

my son was much helped by specialized OT for his SID stuff when he was younger. he had only a few sessions and learned how to do stuff himself to help. things improved so that he now wears socks right side up :blink: but still cannot tolerate labels so we are most thankful that so many aware companies are now stamping in the info instead of attaching labels

and yup, weighted bedding things are a big help

(just an FYI to kimballot that using the abbreviation SI can be confusing as that is used for Self Injury. SID is generally used for Sensory Integration Disorder)

Edited by Chemar

Thanks! Did not mean to be confusing!

http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/ excellent website and book

my son was much helped by specialized OT for his SID stuff when he was younger. he had only a few sessions and learned how to do stuff himself to help. things improved so that he now wears socks right side up :blink: but still cannot tolerate labels so we are most thankful that so many aware companies are now stamping in the info instead of attaching labels

and yup, weighted bedding things are a big help

(just an FYI to kimballot that using the abbreviation SI can be confusing as that is used for Self Injury. SID is generally used for Sensory Integration Disorder)

• 2 weeks later...

We started our journey thinking we just had sensory integration issues, then arrived at the PANDAS diagnosis several months later. Our son is only 4, but it is amazing how much "Mr. Worm" (a weighted sock filled with rice) helps him sit still at school and rest at night. Easy, and his teacher loves it. She asked me to make another one for her to keep for other kids who have similar issues. He needs it most after a strep episode, but it helps him all the time...

As you know I am new to this, my ds is 7 and as I spend HOURS researching everything under the planet to help my son I am wondering if he has some sensory integration issues- if he does they are mild and have been very manageable- For example- He has had me remove tags in shirts for years- won't ever wear Ambercrombie shirts because the tag is sewn in flat and "bugs" him. He can't wear socks if they are not on right- will sometimes wear them inside out to avoid the seam. He would prefer I hold him all night long to sleep and took me years to get to sleep in his own bed-he still asks if I will sleep with him sometimes but I don't because I am afraid to get that started again!!! He still wakes me up at night- especially when exacerbated. This has gotten MUCH better but still happens ( like :blink: last night and of course I could not get back to sleep- that is how the co-sleeping for years started in the first place)

Thanks

Brandy