ACN Latitudes Forums

Tourettes and Where to start

Guest Gina

My son was diagnosed last year with TS he is now 7 years old. I found out that most Dr's say yes your son has TS and go home and deal with it or we can put him on medication. I chose from the beginning that the medications were to intense and I didn't want to go that route.

So I took my son home and went crazy on the internet and reading books and any information that I could get my hands on. Over the past year I have taken certain things out of my sons diet (mostly preservatives, chocolate, caffeine, vinegar, and try to watch his sugar) I feel that it has helped but I know there is more to do and I just cant figure out where to start, and the more I read here at Latitudes the more positive I feel about helping my son but I also get more confused. It's like having a winning lottery ticket and not knowing where to turn it in at.

It seems like there needs to be allergy testing, vitamins, minerals, amino acids and Heavy metal toxicity tests. but where do I start and what exactly should I ask for. Also how can I find a doctor that dosen't look at me like I'm into VooDoo when I choose to use these other methods instead of the standard "Drug Em Up" treatment.

Thanks for listening and I would love any feedback on this matter

Thank You

Gina

:(

Gina--You can look at www.aaem.com or www.acam.org for referrals for doctors who may be able to help you.

In the meantime, in addition to the dietary changes you have made, try taking him totally off milk and all artificial colors. And get rid of all scented products in the home. Have you had a chance to read Dr. Robbins guest responses? Where do you live?

Sheila

Thanks for the response

I looked on the wedsites you suggested and found a list of Dr.'s I guess I will start the phone calls tomorrow to see which of them knows anything about treating TS. If anyone has any referrals I would greatly appreciate it. I live in California (Fremont).

I read the Dr. Robbins responses and its a lot of good info but it still boils down to finding a Dr. that understands what we need. Can I go to my regular Doctor and ask them to do the RAST allergy test (would they know what I'm talking about?)

If I take my son off milk products what can I put in its place for Calcium I am assuming that taking him off milk includes yogurt, cheeses etc... and being he is only 7 calcium is still very important.

Thanks

Gina

Gina--you can send me an email (I don't have your address) about the name of a doctor. Sheila@Latitudes.org

Am not suggesting your son be off milk longterm, just long enough for you to see if it makes a difference--a few weeks maybe.

The doctor you go to will be able to give nutritional recommendations. In the meantime you could go to www.kirkmanlabs.com and search "calcium" if you do end up taking him off long term. They make hypoallergenic products--so you don't have to worry about reactions to additives in the their nutrients with that label. There are of course other foods that also have calcium, but you are correct that you should consider this when taking him off dairy as that is usually the main source.

I would not get any tests until you have someone overseeing the selection of lab work. Sometimes doctors will work together in case one is on your insurance and another is not, if they can both agree on the tests to order.

Will watch for your email. Sheila

I have been looking at the doctor sites that were given in another article. What is the difference between t he docs on the aaem site and the acam site? some of them are on both. any advice on which one to go to? am just starting to dig into all of this. BEN

Ben,

I am just new with these two sites also (aaem & acam) I sent an e-mail to the ACAM site regarding the abreviations they are using under the DR's specialties. (I have no clue what they mean). I am still awaiting thier reply. I think what we need to do is start making phone calls to the Dr's on the lists and find out if they are knowledgable with Tourettes. It's going to be very time consuming but hopfully in the end worth it. As I have found out there is no easy route.

Good Luck and I will post what I find out. Are you looking for a Dr. for an adult or a child? I'm trying to locate one for my son (7 yrs)

Gina

Gina and Ben,

The ACAM site (American College for Advancement in Medicine) has a listing of the abbreviations and meanings at the bottom of the doc listing page.

These doctors tend to be cutting ede, knowledeable in nutrition and wellness issues, detox etc. As in any group, there is a range of expertise among them and different approaches taken.

The AAEM (Am. Academy of Environmental Medicine) group has more emphasis on allergy diagnosis and treatment, and should also be familiar with nutrition and wellness issues and detox. The AAEM group uses the techniques described by Doris Rapp, MD and the enviromental medicine approach has helped many kids (not all) with TS. But some families have also found help through only dietary measures, nutrients, and detox with other doctors which is why we list both groups.

Because it has lesss members, it is sometimes difficult to find an AAEM doctor near you, though an experienced good one can be worth traveling to, depending on the situation.

Hope that helps. Sheila