ACN Latitudes Forums

anyone had their child start having tics while on antibiotics?

my ds had strep throat 9 days ago. he's been on suprax antibiotics for 9 days. a few days before he started running fever his snorting tic came back, along with lining his toys up and bad behaviors. all of these symptoms had gone away for about 2 weeks before his strep infection 9 days ago. he ran fever for 3 days and he was wonderful, no tics, no ocd, no bad behaviors. after being on the abx for 1 day his snorting tic and bad behaviors came back. basically once his fever broke the tic and bad behavior came back. it lasted for about 2 days then the tic and bad behaviors went away. so i've been so happy thinking maybe this really is PANDAS.....well today is day 9 on antibiotics and i pick him up from preschool and as i'm buckling him into his carseat i notice a new tic. it's a full body jerk and a shoulder shrug all at once. then i get him home and he starts lining up some things on the table. if it is PANDAS would he still have tics, ocd and bad behaviors while on antibiotics?????? i really don't know what to think anymore. 3 days ago the counselor who had suggested he could have PANDAS call me and we talked and the more i told her about his previous strep infection, she really thinks it's PANDAS. now i'm wondering if thats what it is. please tell me if your dc have ever had tics while on antibiotics for 9 days.

jennifer

my ds had strep throat 9 days ago. he's been on suprax antibiotics for 9 days. a few days before he started running fever his snorting tic came back, along with lining his toys up and bad behaviors. all of these symptoms had gone away for about 2 weeks before his strep infection 9 days ago. he ran fever for 3 days and he was wonderful, no tics, no ocd, no bad behaviors. after being on the abx for 1 day his snorting tic and bad behaviors came back. basically once his fever broke the tic and bad behavior came back. it lasted for about 2 days then the tic and bad behaviors went away. so i've been so happy thinking maybe this really is PANDAS.....well today is day 9 on antibiotics and i pick him up from preschool and as i'm buckling him into his carseat i notice a new tic. it's a full body jerk and a shoulder shrug all at once. then i get him home and he starts lining up some things on the table. if it is PANDAS would he still have tics, ocd and bad behaviors while on antibiotics?????? i really don't know what to think anymore. 3 days ago the counselor who had suggested he could have PANDAS call me and we talked and the more i told her about his previous strep infection, she really thinks it's PANDAS. now i'm wondering if thats what it is. please tell me if your dc have ever had tics while on antibiotics for 9 days.

jennifer

My son's tics became worse on Azith.500mg. We stopped at 10days and it got better. Andrea

jennifer

My son is doing 1000 times better on Biaxin, but his tics still are worse some days and better on others, but the overall trend is considerable improvement. We haven't had a 100% tic free day yet though. He's been taking it for about 2 months now. We tried cutting back to a half dose for a week and things got worse for him on about day 4 so we are back up to the regular dose again and doing better again. I'm planning on it taking quite a while for him to get well. Once their body's immune system is out of whack, lots of things can make things worse, even on the abx. The fact that he did improve initially when starting the abx does point to it being PANDAS though in my opinion.

Some things that make things worse for my son are: a viral infection, fatigue, allergies, red dye #40, high fructose corn syrup, nitrates, too much TV and/or video games, being really excited or nervous about something, and gasoline fumes. I would find out as much as possible about his day at pre-school, including what they ate and what activities they did, to see if you can pinpoint a tic trigger.

Giving him an epsom salt bath usually helps him if he's having a not so good day.

I figure the abx are to give their body a chance to begin healing and give the immune system a chance to reset itself without new infections mucking things up again. I don't think, at least for my son, the abx will fix everything. We're using them as part of an over all plan to clean up his body and stop the process from continuing. We are working on getting as healthy as possible with a healthy whole food diet, enough sleep, daily exercise, avoiding as many toxins as possible in food and the environment & supplementing to help his body heal. Dealing with PANDAS has really changed the way our family does things, but I would have to say that doing them has helped all of us and we continue to get healthier the more we learn.

thank you all for responding to my question. the weird thing is the tic went away within 2 hrs of getting home from mother's day out. so i'm wondering if it was something at the school that caused it. at first i thought maybe he had come in contact with someone that was sick but now i'm thinking since it went away so fast that maybe it was something in the classroom. the teacher said they had just come in from playing outside right before i picked him up. so maybe it was pollen that caused it? he plays outside at home and i've never noticed him do anything like this. it was really strange how suddenly it came on, and that it was a new tic that i've never seen. what was crazy is that he asked if he could wipe my kitchen table down, so i let him. he wiped it down then lined up 2 books, 1 sippy cup and 2 toy cars that were on the table. then he lined up 3 of my kitchen chairs. then within an hour of doing this the tic went away. has any of your kids ever had a tic that came on suddenly then went away within 2 hours???

jennifer

My son is on day 3 of Biaxin. His eye blinks were pretty much non existent until today. Behaviors seem better but I'm sure it is too early to see any major results. Very interesting.