ACN Latitudes Forums

Medical Options

Guest Searching

Guest Searching

After trying to lick this thing on my own I've decided to pursue medical options. My question is where do I start. Is this something I should discuss with my GP or should I schedule an appoinment with a shrink? Any insight would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_Rainbow

hi searching:

i think you should see a GP who will refer you to a pyschiatrist.

the psychiatrist will prescribe u a medication (usually an SSRI) and incorporate behaviour therapy as part of your treatment.

ocd is a condition where a certain part of your brain is overactive - this makes you focus on a certain thot and your mind jus gets stuck into it. :o

the trick here is to acknowledge this thot but DO NOT FOCUS on it. as soon as it gets into your head, you do something else which is more impt. the more you do it, the better it becomes. at first, you will feel uncomfortable but that is only withdrawal symptons (as it has been a habit which you need to break like smoking). In time to come, when you keep doing it (ie, not checking) and nothing bad happens to you, you will slowly break the pattern - it will be a slow progress but a combination of medication and behaviour therapy will work, especially behaviour therapy. Trust me as i've also gone through it. Have faith in yourself and God.

Good luck.

Rainbow :)