ACN Latitudes Forums

using Taurine

lisat

Hello, I would like to know what experience anyone has had with Taurine. All of my sons Nuerotransmitters are high except PEA and Serotonin. I was asked if we checked his Taurine levels...that was not part of the test...taurine is suppose to help to bring those down and reduce tics.

But, I also know Taurine is a enegizer....so the doctor at the pharmacy we worked with said higher doses are needed for the calming affect of Taurine...but even though I saw a little more confidence in my son the couple days he got taurine, I also saw an increased anxiety when sitting down to watch tv...so I am concerned about how much to give him.

He is 12, about 100 lbs. I would be interested to know how much others are using, the pharmacist has limited exp. with tics, much exp. with nuerotransmitters....so I want to confirm his statement.

Thank you

How do you check neurotransmitters?

Hello, I would like to know what experience anyone has had with Taurine. All of my sons Nuerotransmitters are high except PEA and Serotonin. I was asked if we checked his Taurine levels...that was not part of the test...taurine is suppose to help to bring those down and reduce tics.

But, I also know Taurine is a enegizer....so the doctor at the pharmacy we worked with said higher doses are needed for the calming affect of Taurine...but even though I saw a little more confidence in my son the couple days he got taurine, I also saw an increased anxiety when sitting down to watch tv...so I am concerned about how much to give him.

He is 12, about 100 lbs. I would be interested to know how much others are using, the pharmacist has limited exp. with tics, much exp. with nuerotransmitters....so I want to confirm his statement.

Thank you

hi Lisa

taurine is an amino acid and yes, it does seem to help people with TS, especially when combined with magnesium

my understanding is that taurine stabilizes the neuronal membranes, hence making them less "excitable" to dopamine

however, some parents have remarked that they saw a worsening with taurine, very possibly because their kids are not TS. But it is always a good idea to supplement only when something is deficient, rather than to just add it as too much of a good thing isnt good anymore!

we supplemented with 500mg taurine each day

I did a little research and it doesn't seem like it. My son had some testing through Genova Labs which did some of the neurotransmitter testing (I didn't realize until I pulled out the testing). It does look like the place you gave the link for will file an insurance claim so that's helpful. I will ask my dr about going forward with it. Thank you for the info.

I honestly dont know Justine as these things have advanced much in recent years

yes, it is nueroscience labs, you can call them and they will give you the name of a physician in your area that uses them. Some doctors that use them are mainstream physicians that can bill insurance, but many are DO's or Naturopaths that do not bill insurance..they require going through a doctor that uses them.

Also, Dr Sahley at Pain and Stress Center does. ..she uses her own lab I believe. She will cost about $400, plus whatever supplements you get. painstresscenter.org

Also, Las Colinas Pharmacy, in Irving, Tx will run the tests (they use Neuroscience labs...all they charge is for the test....like $280 or somewhere close to that. ..then they will give you their recommendations if they are any different from Neuroscience labs recommendations. This is the cheapest way available to get it done, aside from finding a doctor who takes your insurance (which is great find) It is a urine test, and can be done by mail.

972-580-1814 is the phone number.