ACN Latitudes Forums

Mycoplasma Pneumonie

I haven't gotten around to posting all the papers, but here's a few articles:

Psychosis in mycoplasma infection.

http://pmj.bmj.com/content/65/760/96.abstract (1989)

Mycoplasma pneumoniae Infection and Obsessive-Compulsive Disease: A Case Report

http://jcn.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/23/3/338 (2008)

Abrupt-Onset Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) in a Child With Crohn’s Disease

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/50/4/425

Antineuronal antibodies in a group of children with obsessive-compulsive disorder and Tourette syndrome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17113107

Neurologic manifestations of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections: diverse spectrum of diseases. A report of six cases and review of the literature.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10791130

Neurological deficit associated with Mycoplasma pneumoniae reversed by plasma exchange.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1546620/

Pathogenesis of neurologic manifestations of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection

http://www.biomedsearch.com/nih/Pathogenes...e/19664529.html

1981 Neurologic Disease Associated with Mycoplasma pneumoniae Pneumonitis

Demonstration of Viable Mycoplasma pneumoniae in Cerebrospinal Fluid and Blood by Radioisotopic and Immunofluorescent Tissue Culture Techniques

http://www.annals.org/content/94/1/15.extract

Acute motor axonal neuropathy after Mycoplasma infection

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/62/6/949

Neurologic complications of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection

http://www.medlink.com/medlinkcontent.asp

I can try to sort through these and organize them. I haven't really pursued the Mycoplasma direction but there's lots of material on the topic.

And our doctor explained that strep is always the initial infection, but once pandas is activated, anything can bring up pandas symptoms in the future - viruses, bacteria, etc.

although yes, that is what seems to happen for PANDAS kids when they are exposed to other microbes........

yet

for some kids there is some other initial infection other than strep, that triggers the whole series of PANDAS-like symptoms=PITAND.

These kids may not have had a strep infection or exposure, but instead have had the initial trigger from that other microbe, and they too appear to remain susceptible to exacerbation when further exposed to any other microbes.

I see a lot of people talking about the mycoplasm. What has lead people to check for this. From what I research in my limited ability, it seems like there are symptoms. Am I missing something? I have had several on here ask me if we've tested for it, and of course we haven't since I don't even know what it is.

I see a lot of people talking about the mycoplasm. What has lead people to check for this. From what I research in my limited ability, it seems like there are symptoms. Am I missing something? I have had several on here ask me if we've tested for it, and of course we haven't since I don't even know what it is.

I was order to have this test done by Dr.K before our phone consultation with him.

He requested for 3 tests and this being one.

DB

So Ok what does all of this mean.Danny has tested with Dr T high Mycroplasm #s He was on bixian and then zith now hes on omicef.If a child tests for mycroplasm that means they have had it one time or another YES? How do you know if they still have it? Is there a test that says have or Had? Thats my question.How do you know BUSTER where are you LOL

melanie

So Ok what does all of this mean.Danny has tested with Dr T high Mycroplasm #s He was on bixian and then zith now hes on omicef.If a child tests for mycroplasm that means they have had it one time or another YES? How do you know if they still have it? Is there a test that says have or Had? Thats my question.How do you know BUSTER where are you LOL

melanie

If the IgG numbers are high this means you had it in the past, if the IgM numbers are high, this means you presently still have it. Some doctors beleive in treating for it without IgM being present.

melanie

If the IgG numbers are high this means you had it in the past, if the IgM numbers are high, this means you presently still have it. Some doctors beleive in treating for it without IgM being present.

So to cure this its antibiotics and IVIG i guess I need to retest him and see if he still has the high numbers Ill call Dr T

Thanks Melanie

Here is what I know about Mycoplasma. Mycoplasma is tested using an IgG and and IgM test. If you test positive with an abnormal IgM, you have a current infection. If you test positive with an abnormal IgG, one of 2 things are going on. One, you have had it in the past. OR, you currently have it. Confusing, yes. Labcorb states on it's site regarding Mycoplasma testing that you can test positive IgM on your first exposure, but any subsequent exposures, you may only show a positive IgG, not a positive IgM. So, that is the basis for treating a positive IgG IF you have symtoms - and in some cases, with our PITANDS/PANDAS kids, the symptoms are OCD, tics, rages, etc.

We had the whole families IgG and IgM titers ran. I, in particular, have a very high IgG. My PANDAS/PITANDS daughter also has a high IgG, and also a "higher" IgM, but not high enough on the IgM to be considered active. However, her symptoms were enough (Very bad OCD, rages, etc) that her doctor chose to treat her. (I don't have symptoms that I know of, so I think we are going to monitor mine to see if it rises). She's currently on her 2nd 30 day round of Biaxin and doing great. Her strep titers were never high, so I think this was definitely her "trigger" . She may also have Lyme, we are not sure.

Stephanie, I'm glad to hear you point that out. Although I truly know strep was the initial trigger for my son, now it does seem that every little thing sets him off. I was thinking the IVIG made his symptoms worse, however, following IVIG he both times spent the next 24 hours with a migraine that only darvocet, advil and tylenol together helps but only after he has been already throwing up all day from the pain. So maybe even his typical reaction to IVIG was a trigger for him. Interesting thought.

My son is SOOOO aggressive when he's exaserbating. So much that we have to keep him on Risperidal. Which by the way was our saving grace everytime. Couldn't have done it without it.

So much to consider. Now I'm considering this mycoplasm pneumonia deal. He so happen to get a lyme test done, but it showed high IGG and IGM (at least I think it did, have to call doc on Monday).

Denna

My son's stool analysis just showed Klebsiella bacteria in his gut which was making him extremely aggressive and bad OCD. We gave him vancomycin and he is much better now. Just FYI. So much more out there than strep.

And our doctor explained that strep is always the initial infection, but once pandas is activated, anything can bring up pandas symptoms in the future - viruses, bacteria, etc. He doesn't even make us go for a strep culture anymore b/c there is no way to know what any particular exacerbation is from. He just increases the antibiotic if I even suspect bacteria. (which is great, but in our case the high dose abx causes klebsiella, so then we add vanco, then we add diflucan, then we have to increase probiotics - it's a vicious cycle that we are hoping to escape with IVIG).

Stephanie

Very interesting. My son was just placed on clarithromycin by Dr. Trifiletti (NJ) for high Mycoplasma IgG antibody titer. His history includes severe, debilitating vocal and motor tics, OCD (we didn't know this wasn't tics), anxiety, sleep disturbance, ADHD, and yes, aggression. The aggression actually was one of the very first things to show up. This is sort of follow up treatment, since he actually recovered one year ago on vancomycin for intestinal infection. Some symptoms are residual, and since learning this might be PANDAS/PITAND, consulted with Dr. T. So very glad I did!

Dr. K recommended that I do bloodwork on my son for Mycolplasma Pneumonie IgG and Igm because high numbers of these antibodies can contribute to aggression in kids. Has anyone had experience with this? If this is the case, how is it treated? Is this related to PANDAS somehow? Andrea

• 4 weeks later...
Here is what I know about Mycoplasma. Mycoplasma is tested using an IgG and and IgM test. If you test positive with an abnormal IgM, you have a current infection. If you test positive with an abnormal IgG, one of 2 things are going on. One, you have had it in the past. OR, you currently have it. Confusing, yes. Labcorb states on it's site regarding Mycoplasma testing that you can test positive IgM on your first exposure, but any subsequent exposures, you may only show a positive IgG, not a positive IgM. So, that is the basis for treating a positive IgG IF you have symtoms - and in some cases, with our PITANDS/PANDAS kids, the symptoms are OCD, tics, rages, etc.

We had the whole families IgG and IgM titers ran. I, in particular, have a very high IgG. My PANDAS/PITANDS daughter also has a high IgG, and also a "higher" IgM, but not high enough on the IgM to be considered active. However, her symptoms were enough (Very bad OCD, rages, etc) that her doctor chose to treat her. (I don't have symptoms that I know of, so I think we are going to monitor mine to see if it rises). She's currently on her 2nd 30 day round of Biaxin and doing great. Her strep titers were never high, so I think this was definitely her "trigger" . She may also have Lyme, we are not sure.

I just read your post. My child tested positive for IGM Myco P. Is Biaxin the way to go? Or can I use Azith or Augmentin? How is your child doing now? Andrea