ACN Latitudes Forums

POLL on initial ASO titers and anti-DNase B results

Initial ASO titer and anti-DNase B results?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. What was your childs initial ASO titer level?

• < 200
    • between 200 and 500
    • between 500 and 1000
    • >1000
  2. 2. If done, what was your childs initial anti-DNas e B level?

• < 200
    • between 200 and 500
    • between 500 and 1000
    • > 1000
  3. 3. When was the first bloodwork done?

• Before an excacerbation of symptoms
    • During an infection
    • During an excacerbation of symptoms
    • between one month and 6 months post known infection
    • between six and 12 months post known infection
    • greater than 12 months past known infection
    • child was asymptomatic so we don't know how long since infection

Hi! Thought it would be interesting to see these numbers. Thanks for participating!

In our case, we drew blood during exacerbation, then had throat and peri-rectal culture. She was positive on both grown cultures. We then did a second blood draw at 6 weeks post infection and both titers had actually dropped. This left us super puzzled.

We ended up contacting multiple world-wide strep experts and asking them all sorts of questions like:

• if you don't clear a strep infection do the antibody levels drop over time?
  • if ASO levels are dropping does that mean we missed the window?
  • Can someone culture positive for strep and yet have falling titers?
  • If culture positive at two locations how could ASO and Anti-DNAseB be negative?

The best conclusion they had was that:

a) our daughter might be an asymptomatic strep carrier -- but this didn't make sense as she had high fever at strep onset

:) that strep was ping-ponging between children in the house or at school and so our daughter was clearing with ASO falling and then getting re-infected

c) that there was a long term strep infection and that they've seen ASO and Anti-DNAse B eventually fail to rise to exhaustion of T-cells

d) etc...

Bottom line, they really didn't know. We are able to say that whenever our dd9 had an exacerbation -- her sister would be positive for strep so we think the ping-ponging makes the most sense.

Buster

ASO titer was first checked 4-5 weeks after a positive strep infection. It was "less than 20". A year later, ASO and Anti-DNaseB were both checked during an exacerbation. ASO was 24 and Anti DNaseB was 74 (both "negative". So, my son seems to be one who, for whatever reason, does not show a titer response. Would love to know why!

Buster did this thread awhile ago and many newcomers probably never saw it. It's entitled "adhesion, colonization, invasion and infection". I thought it was a great thread and I particularly found this statment interesting so I bookmarked it....

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...ic=5520&hl=

Just to throw an entirely weird wrinkle on this, the recent Kurlan paper shows that ASO titers drop after long exposure to strep (even if the strep is untreated) -- indicating either the strep is changing in what it produces or that the body gets used to the Streptolycin O (sort of getting used to bee stings) and stops mounting such a defense. This sure raises questions about the effectiveness of ASO as a strep selection tool.
Edited by Vickie

Just thought I would post my son has had numerous confirmed strep infections, and with negative ASO tests. We have tested 3 times during an infection, at 3-4 weeks after and the other one I really couldn't pin point, because all of the infections seem to run together.

They just never seem to rise.

Ginger

Thanks for the responses. I am knew to all of this and just trying to learn and gather as much information as I can. I will check out the older thread too!

My son is currently in the beginning stages of possibly getting a PANDAS diagnosis. His ASO was 400 and anti-DNase B 561 at 11 months post last known strep infection. He is currently having mild ticcing (was bad last year during all the strep infections) and his behavior has improved a lot since then, but when we take him off the Zoloft, his OCD comes back quickly so he is still having issues and DH and I believe firmly that this is a post streptococcal disorder. There is no history on either side of Tourrettes or OCD but clear genetic predisposition for post strep disorders as both paternal and maternal grandfathers had RH as children.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Just thought I would post my son has had numerous confirmed strep infections, and with negative ASO tests. We have tested 3 times during an infection, at 3-4 weeks after and the other one I really couldn't pin point, because all of the infections seem to run together.

They just never seem to rise.

Ginger