ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics act up after 8months almost tic free

crazy

I am sad, my sons tics have reappeared after very few tics since August. He has an eye blinking tic. He has a lot of things going on school and sports wise so he thinks stress is triggering it. He also has a few seasonal allergies so that may also contribute. I was getting so used to being tic free. He does take 45mg. of Topamax.. The doctor always has said that It won't make you tic free and not to change anything unless it has been more than 3 weeks of ticcing. I hate tics. I want them to stay away. It is horrible how stress triggers tics and tics stress him out more.

We are having a flair up here as well my son is on 50 mg Topamax and Augmentin I wonder if some of this could be related to allergies. Hang in there its so frustrating praying for better days.

Deanna

sorry to hear of the flare up

this is apparently one of the highest pollen seasons on record from what I have heard so seasonal allergies acting up for many people

for those with predisposition, it can really ramp up other things too when their allergic reactions get the immune system in overdrive

Is there anything over the counter that we should give?/ did not know if an antihistamine could make things worse.

Deanna

crazy and dee,

(dee, I responded on your other post), but was just wondering if the topomax could be kind of wearing off, don't they say some meds begin to not work after a while for some?

I know it must be hard to see increase when you hd a really good run, but as you say, doc says it may not totally eradicate, so maybe its just a little flair that will back down, I would wait it out for a bit. good luck, tho, I'm sure if things were better before, it will be again...

Faith

Edited by faith

The eye blinking is not as severe as it has been in the past, but regardless its a tic and its noticable. I get such a knot in my stomach when this happens. I try to not bring it up with my son because everyone says ignore it. It is hard to find out if its stressing him out. Today after school he did say Im blinking a lot today. I must be stressed. Then he drops the topic. I work part time in the school system and now know 3 children who are friends with me kids have tics. The parents have never told me but all tics have become quite noticable to me now that I have a child with them. Surprising that there are quite a few chilren with tics. I would have never noticed unless I learned about them because of the son. I wish I could say too my son, look...lots of kids have tics, let me show you. But of course I won't.

Regarding allergies his are mold and house dust. It appears the mold count is low. But who knows it may be a factor.

I am giving my son claritin & zyrtec this allergy season and he is doing fine. I do believe that he is much less reactive to things after we have been doing NAET for the last 4 years. In fact, i find that he responds better to medication after he has been treated for NAET.

Also, i am giving him a nasal spray called QC nasal spray by Thorne research that has quercetin & euphorbium recommended by his NP. You can goggle it and get in online.

Nettle is also very good for allergies. I have not given it to him yet but is considering it.

Pat

Hello,

is there a chance that the antihistamimes could make the tics worse? thought I read that some where maybe not! just want to make sure. Is Zyrtec or Claritin usually given in the morning or night?

Deanna

Deanna,

IMO, in general antihistamine should not make tics worse, however, every child is different. However, i do think that elevated histamine can make tics worse if your child has allergies.

I give the 24 hr. Claritin or Zyrtec at bedtime. But you can also give it in the morning, whichever works best or convenient for you.

The only concern i have w/the OTC allergy med is that it has artificial color, flavor .... And Claritin seems to have the least junk in it.

Pat

Hey all,

Nicky started to have an eye tic again about two weeks ago. He was pretty bothered by it. He is almost 9 and on 15 mg topamax. I added another kind of magnesium to his supplement program, started him on omega brite fish oil ( first time on fish oil so far) and have continued with 1 teaspoon of silver. I also did

tapping" on his head and around the eyes. Within days of starting these activities the frequency slowed down. Each day he got better and better and today we were out all day playing baseball on a windy day and he was 100 % tic free. I think the pollen started his eyes back up and I am not sure which addition to his program "kicked his tic in the butt!" I told Nick when it was happening that it was his allergies , that some people sneeze and some people cough, some people get tired and some people tic. I almost resorted to trying benedryl but didn't

abbe

crazy, This is my first post and I just found this site about a week ago. I had to reply because your son sounds so much like mine. He is also 9 and has been diagnosed with Chronic Motor Tice disorder. He received this about 2 yrs ago. He has also been tic free since last summer, some small tics but nothing like now. His blinking is out of control right now. I also think allergies has made them worse. He is on claritin which seems to be helping his allergies but not his tics. We previously used Singular but they definatly made his tics worse. Right now I am using Kids calm and epson salts but haven't really noticed a difference. My pediatrician also just put him on a dose of Azithromycin because I am thinking about PANDAS. Not sure if it will help or not but am giving it a try since the Dr. agreed. Last summer my neurologist gave me a prescription for clonidne to use in the fall, always worse during the school year, but for some reason this year wasn't bad and I didn't feel we needed it. I have also read how tired kids get on it so I may be looking into topamax. I will be calling the neuro tomorrow to try to get in. My sons teacher called me on Friday and said that during a test he had to hold his eyes open with his fingers because his blinking was so bad. I was hoping to make it through the school year with no meds but it is getting so bad. I understand your knot in your stomach, you almost forget how bad it is when they are tic free and then it all comes back during the next episode, I don't know who's more stressed, him or me, but I don't bring it up and he'll casually make a remark but doesn't really talk about it. He has anxiety issues, we saw a therapist last year but he didn't want to go back this year, has an IEP in school for learning difficulties with reading & language and some OCD issues. Let me know if you find something that seems to work for your son and I'll let you know if I learn anything about the PANDAS.

I don't know if you picked up on it but I also have a 7 yr old son that was diagnosed with tourettes but thats a whole other story.

Just wanted to welcome, TicsXtwo to the boards! I have to say that your son with the chronic motor tics sounds a lot like my son. He started ticcing when he was 9, he's 11 now. He has OCD type anxiety and other anxieties which have pretty much gone by the wayside for now. We haven't had an anxiety issue since last November but the tics are always there. I spoke with his naturopath and he doesn't think our son fits the PANDAs model and I do agree, but I think there's always this little hope in the back of my head that antibiotics will be our miracle answer, KWIM?

Anyway, to the original poster: My ds never has a day without tics. They wax and wane and somedays I hardly see anything but they are still there. It's his anxiety that seems to wane for longer periods of time. Right now, we're trying something new: NO SUPPLEMENTS except for magnesium and some antioxidants like vitamin C and D. And, he's doing great. I was so afraid to stop the amino acids he was on but it's been a week and he's doing well. I know how frustrating these things can be as I feel like we're on this constant roller coaster and I wonder if we'll ever be allowed to get off, but in the end I know I can tell myself I know a heck of a lot about the neurotransmitters in our bodies and I feel a bit more empowered as a person. Let us know how things are going this week!

Bonnie

Hi. I too have an 8 year old son with tics which seem to have blown up last year and this year around this time. Although he always has some tics, they are not really noticable until now. He has been cranking his neck every second for a week. I also have a 6 year old daughter who also just started neck jerking, so I figure she is soon to be diagnossed. I just wanted to say that I have been giving my kids TwinLab B Complex for a year now and believe it works wonders to reduce anxiety. I give them 1 tsp every day after breakfast. It tastes bad-- best to chase with juice. I think this has helped tremendously to reduce stress tics-- but the allergy tics seem to be bad now. I am going to take my kids to an Environmental Allergist in a few weeks-- we'll see what he says. It is horrible to feel like you can't help your kids. I can say that I have had TS my whole life-- even though I didn't know until my son was diagnosed last year. I was able to hide my type of tics and just thought I had strange habits. I can tell you that while annoying-- they are not painful and it is definitely worse for us to watch as parents. I don't even now if they realize how much they are ticcing-- as I did not. Good luck to all. Anyone out there in New York? Karen

Well the tics have been virtually gone for 3 days now. I have been looking constantly and I really don't see any. I wish I know what caused the flare up. I am assuming allergies because they seem to be in control again also. I don't care what doctors say, there has to be a link with allergies and tics.