ACN Latitudes Forums

Our visit with Dr. Bouboulis

We traveled to Ct today to see Dr. Bouboulis. He was very thorough and very kind. He listened to our story and looked into my dd's nose and said she has a sinus infection. (assumed to be strep in the sinuses) She has no symptoms of a sinus infection other than PANDAS symptoms. He continued her on Azith and Augmentin, did a steroid taper, and gave us stuff to rinse her sinuses with. One is called a hypertonic spray to spray in her nose 3 to 4 times per day and the other is a sinus rinse to be done twice per day.

He also did some allergy testing on her which she had a few positives to which we will address with allergy meds (singulair) and trying to remove allergens from our home. The allergies contribute to swelling in the sinuses which make it a great place for bacteria to grow. (one of her allergies is dust mites which can be killed in sheets by washing in very hot water or putting 1 tsp of euclalyptis oil in the water.)

He also put her on Diflucan for the duration of the time she is on antibiotics to keep yeast at bay.

He also ordered a host of blood tests to see how her immune system is working. He felt she was a good candidate for IVIG since her symptoms are so severe and she has had this for so long. (almost 4 years)

Overall, it was a VERY positive experience. He was caring and kind and extremely knowledgable. I am looking forward to working with him to make our dd well. He felt that she WILL get well.

I'm still on the road and don't know if I'll have time to respond much till Friday but I'll answer any questions when I get home and have a few minutes.

Angela

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so glad you made the effort to see him.

He and his staff are really wonderful. If there is anything in the blood work to justify the IVIG, you will get it!

And quickly, too. AND he seems really good at getting insurance to cover it. AND he was humble enough to confer with Dr. K on the best way to treat PANDAS. He is a good person! Best of luck.

i guess you are using dr B

did you do ivig....

did you get it covered by ins

He and his staff are really wonderful. If there is anything in the blood work to justify the IVIG, you will get it!

And quickly, too. AND he seems really good at getting insurance to cover it. AND he was humble enough to confer with Dr. K on the best way to treat PANDAS. He is a good person! Best of luck.

fixit,if you read the title and first post in this thread, you will see the anwers to your questions.

Hoping for ivig, depends on test results whether insurance will pay for it. it'll take about a month to find out with a couple of blood tests done two weeks apart. will have it done either way since he is confident it will help her. we will see Dr. B again in the middle of may.

did you do ivig....

Thanks Momaine for replying...

i was inquiring on bronxmom and sfmom......it gets difficult to keep everyones story straight....

i see on bronx other posts...that she started with doc K, ithink and moved over to doc b....for montly ivigs...

was more curious if people's replies were word mouth or a personal experience....

fixit,if you read the title and first post in this thread, you will see the anwers to your questions.

Hoping for ivig, depends on test results whether insurance will pay for it. it'll take about a month to find out with a couple of blood tests done two weeks apart. will have it done either way since he is confident it will help her. we will see Dr. B again in the middle of may.

did you do ivig....

We traveled to Ct today to see Dr. Bouboulis. He was very thorough and very kind. He listened to our story and looked into my dd's nose and said she has a sinus infection. (assumed to be strep in the sinuses) She has no symptoms of a sinus infection other than PANDAS symptoms. He continued her on Azith and Augmentin, did a steroid taper, and gave us stuff to rinse her sinuses with. One is called a hypertonic spray to spray in her nose 3 to 4 times per day and the other is a sinus rinse to be done twice per day.

He also did some allergy testing on her which she had a few positives to which we will address with allergy meds (singulair) and trying to remove allergens from our home. The allergies contribute to swelling in the sinuses which make it a great place for bacteria to grow. (one of her allergies is dust mites which can be killed in sheets by washing in very hot water or putting 1 tsp of euclalyptis oil in the water.)

He also put her on Diflucan for the duration of the time she is on antibiotics to keep yeast at bay.

He also ordered a host of blood tests to see how her immune system is working. He felt she was a good candidate for IVIG since her symptoms are so severe and she has had this for so long. (almost 4 years)

Overall, it was a VERY positive experience. He was caring and kind and extremely knowledgable. I am looking forward to working with him to make our dd well. He felt that she WILL get well.

I'm still on the road and don't know if I'll have time to respond much till Friday but I'll answer any questions when I get home and have a few minutes.

Angela

Angela,

You say the doc thinks your son has a sinus infection, or that he definitely does? he could tell just by looking in there? And he has no symptoms tho, sinsus pressure, mucious, nasal talk, whatever? If your son has this, I would go to an ENT to check it out.

I would also like to warn against the Singular, last year there was an article that came out about kids having psychotic symptoms while on it, .. if I find it, I'll post it, but you could do a search on the TS side, pretty sure its there.

Faith