ACN Latitudes Forums

Is this a tic?

Hello everyone,

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? My son is 3 1/2 and every time he gets strep he starts to make up words. Not really baby talk but words that just don't mean anything and lately we will be talking and he will just blurt out crazy words like eyeballs. It is very frustrating, so I am curious if he is just being 3 or if this could be a tic???

It usually gets better when he is on antibiotics, but this time not so much.

Thank so much!

Ginger

I don't know about making up words, but our DS, even at the ripe old age of 12, would blurt out nonsense nonsequiters for no apparent reason; I read it as him feeding off some stress. He knew he couldn't swear, so instead he would blurt out a ridiculous word or phrase like "Chicken!" or "I like cheese!" at the oddest times.

As a stress-buster, it almost seemed to work, so long as it wasn't an entirely inappropriate time or place (like in the middle of class at school) because it would usually crack someone up, there'd be some giggling, and then he would just move on.

so instead he would blurt out a ridiculous word or phrase like "Chicken!" or "I like cheese!" at the oddest times.

I CAN NOT believe you just said that! My son says "I like cheese!" all the time! It's completely random. He also says, "I like soup" or "Eat soup!" for absolutely no reason. The irony is that he doesn't like either soup or cheese! LOL

Hello everyone,

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? My son is 3 1/2 and every time he gets strep he starts to make up words. Not really baby talk but words that just don't mean anything and lately we will be talking and he will just blurt out crazy words like eyeballs. It is very frustrating, so I am curious if he is just being 3 or if this could be a tic???

Thank so much!

Ginger

Is he trying to be funny? Silliness is a common PANDAS behavior. I watch kids at my gym's daycare twice a week and there is a 3 year old that also blurts out random words that he thinks are funny. It's totally him trying to funny because to him and several of the other younger kids, IT IS funny.

so instead he would blurt out a ridiculous word or phrase like "Chicken!" or "I like cheese!" at the oddest times.

I CAN NOT believe you just said that! My son says "I like cheese!" all the time! It's completely random. He also says, "I like soup" or "Eat soup!" for absolutely no reason. The irony is that he doesn't like either soup or cheese! LOL

:angry::D:lol::D

I just relayed this exchange to DS, and he can't believe there's another random "I like cheese-r" on the planet! Thanks for the laugh!

Now if too many others chime in with some common experience with that particular phrase, I'm going to start to wonder . . . . ;)

:lol::D;):D

I just relayed this exchange to DS, and he can't believe there's another random "I like cheese-r" on the planet! Thanks for the laugh!

Now if too many others chime in with some common experience with that particular phrase, I'm going to start to wonder . . . . :D

I agree with simplygina....as i believe my son may have a class clown tendecy...

But we have..i like pizza.. in ccd class he said the saint did something because he likes pizza...

then randomly as i sit listening he says...i like pie...in that same class.......as the class was calmind down.....almost instead of , you or i releasing by letting out air......I LIKE PIE..

never at home........we may have had cheese and chicken too...

at school earlier in the year, he said either i like beer, or just the word beer,,, needless to say the class laughed and we got a phone call :angry:

Hello everyone,

Thank so much!

Ginger

Is he trying to be funny? Silliness is a common PANDAS behavior. I watch kids at my gym's daycare twice a week and there is a 3 year old that also blurts out random words that he thinks are funny. It's totally him trying to funny because to him and several of the other younger kids, IT IS funny.

Thanks for the laugh ladies!

As I sit here and read my post I think this really sounds so insignificant, why can't I stop analyzing everything and just enjoy my sweet boy!?

I guess when you factor in everything else it just gets so overwhelming, and you what more then anything to have a healthy happy child.

He is probably just tying to be funny, and his mommy is just not getting it. I need to work on enjoying him more. Maybe I should just blurt out the word eyeballs every now and then, or I like chicken...and see how he responds..lol

Thanks again!

As I sit here and read my post I think this really sounds so insignificant, why can't I stop analyzing everything and just enjoy my sweet boy!?

He is probably just tying to be funny, and his mommy is just not getting it. I need to work on enjoying him more.

i think you should try to enjoy him while still analyzing - but not over analyzing. it's so hard when they're young to decipher what's pandas inappropriate and what's simply young child appropriate.

before my son went to school, at age 2.5-3.5 or so, he did this speaking in rhymes thing. i can't fully remember it. we thought it was amusing, certainly didn't hurt anything and i think thought it was a example of how bright he was that he could rhyme on his own at such a young age. now, i believe it was a low-level pandas symptoms. he didn't have debilitating symptoms for another 1.5-2 years. i think he had other tell-tale signs that can only be recoginzed in retrospect. they were really not troublesome but it's only in looking back that i see. . .

i think as long as you know he's pandas and you are seeking help, you're covered. this is only me, and i tend to be an overanalyzer and paranoid so very possible over the top - i may wonder if he's really over the infection if he's still got that behavior lingering, esp if he's lost it before on abx. however, so many people attest that their kids had lingering symptoms that then went away to just possibly time for healing.

beer at ccd - hilarious!

My dd7 doesn't blurt out words but she does make up words to mean other words and it usually is when she is not feeling well and starting to age regress. Lately she will say "oogie" or something like that and it will mean yes or no or give me some dinner or come help me or anything really. But she will just keep saying it over and over until you either guess what she means or ignore her long enough that she may finally use the word or have a tantrum. But she is 7 so it is more obvious than it might be with a younger child.

Susan

Lately she will say "oogie" or something like that and it will mean yes or no or give me some dinner or come help me or anything really. But she will just keep saying it over and over until you either guess what she means or ignore her long enough that she may finally use the word or have a tantrum.

Susan

totally - my son does this too - he usually has something close enough to the word so i can know what's he saying. it's so odd to me that there are so many behaviors that are similar between kids!