ACN Latitudes Forums

tics and hormonal abnormalities?

Okay, I was skimming through the book Children with Tourette Sydrome A parent's Guide, and I was reading the different reasons for tics. One of them mentioned hormonal abnormalities. Have any of you connected this with your child's tics? If so, how did you go about making that connection?

We noticed at about age 5ish that our son had awful body odor. Now, this wasn't just boy sweat. This was full-blown body odor like an adult or pubescent teen. We brought it to the doctor's attention, and he of course did the obvious check for hormone issues (checking for hair under the arms and in the groin area, etc). He didn't notice anything out of the ordinary and told us to just keep a check. Well, my husband eventually started smelling it as well. This has continued, and I would have never thought that it could lead to tics.

Also, he's a big boy. He's 6.5, 49 inches tall, and 70lbs. He's never really been overweight...just STOCKY and built like a football player. He's been like this his entire life.

Anyway, I was just curious if any of you had dealt with this and the connection. Or am I way off-based???

Sorry, we are new to this and have a new "clinical" diagnosis of TS based solely on what I told the ped neuro. He didn't do any testing or anything. We ARE seeking a 2nd opinion.

Thanks!

Sherrie

Hi

the only accurate way to determine hormone levels is by blood test so your doctor checking for hair etc is a bit odd to me, as yes, that can indicate whether the androgenic hormones are elevated (as in puberty) but would not be a clinical test for "hormone abnormalities" IMHO

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, do get a blood test done. The pediatrician that we had for over 16 years never mentioned doing any blood tests on my kids. We visited a new pediatrician and she right away requested one. My soon to be 13 year old son is 5'9 at 115 lbs. She just wanted to make sure that everything was okay. The results showed nothing was abnormal. I would have never thought because he went through puberty at a very early age that he should be looked at. He started puberty at 9 years old. Thin mustache at 9! That is the age we started noticing the tics come and go. They hit strong last year in Sept '09 and they're still around. Not too bad now. After figuring out the diet changes it has helped with the tics. OCD is what we're still struggling with. Good luck.