ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics and Allergy connection

sahm

Is there anyone out there who thinks their child's tics are connected to an increase in environmental (pollen/trees) allergies?

We are new to this (3.5 weeks) but DS5 is having a HORRIBLE time with allergies when this all started and I can't help but think they are related somehow. I have increased his allergy meds in addition to supplementing on a basic level but he is still sneezing/runny nose/rubbing eyes which makes me wonder if the aggravation/frustration of his discomfort STARTED his tics.

His tics are:

- Blinking a lot

- Mouth stretching/gasping (not much in last week though)

- Throat noises like soft intermittent hum while eating, occassional throat noises, mucous-y sounding

- Lick fingers then wipe on clothes (this is totally unrelated and confusing to me)

I would appreciate any info if others are thinking along these lines (environmental allergies, not food allergies) and how they are treating. Thank you!!!

Is there anyone out there who thinks their child's tics are connected to an increase in environmental (pollen/trees) allergies?

We are new to this (3.5 weeks) but DS5 is having a HORRIBLE time with allergies when this all started and I can't help but think they are related somehow. I have increased his allergy meds in addition to supplementing on a basic level but he is still sneezing/runny nose/rubbing eyes which makes me wonder if the aggravation/frustration of his discomfort STARTED his tics.

His tics are:

- Blinking a lot

- Mouth stretching/gasping (not much in last week though)

- Throat noises like soft intermittent hum while eating, occassional throat noises, mucous-y sounding

- Lick fingers then wipe on clothes (this is totally unrelated and confusing to me)

I would appreciate any info if others are thinking along these lines (environmental allergies, not food allergies) and how they are treating. Thank you!!!

Yes, I think my son's tics are definitely allergy related. I have been more convinced of this conclusion recently and am starting to try and treat for this. I have him on allergy meds (claritan) so far. I am in the early stages of trying to find out what works. As I add things, I will see what helps and what aggravates. I had my son allergy tested, and the day after he got the pollen tests done (which he was found to have a moderate reaction to), a certain, distinguished tic in his eye started and has been around every since. I do notice a connection between milk and vocal tics. I am just starting down this road.

Yes I see a definate allergy connection. He had all the tics you mentioned plus the sneezing/stuffiness/rubbing eyes/bags under eyes/paliness/tired looking and feeling this past fall. I beleive his aggression and frustration had alot to do with what he was feeling like. Who wouldn't be frustratated.

I have done a complete elimination of his food allergies and many sensitivities (which I knew nothing about till he was tested). He has improved alot! Now that spring is here I see his spitting tic, this is one I seen last spring. He defiantely gets worst with his environmental allergies. Sorry but I am still trying to figure out what to do about those.

Mar

YES< YES< YES and YES.

One year, it was so bad during some particular tree's pollenation time in June, he had horrendous eye rolling/bloodshot eyes, etc etc etc.

Food allergies also were a big factor with tics.

We eliminated all we could (offending foods/dusts/etc), ....eventually did allergy shots, and eventually he "outgrew" (for lack of more scientific term) it all......or most of it....

Okay so if the onset of his tics corresponded with spring allergy season should I still go through food elimination stuff (and he tested negative for major allergens with skin prick test)? I ask bc it is such a major undertaking with a picky eater! :)

sahm,

Welcome! Just want to say that i feel my son's tics are certainly connected w/his food & environmenal allergies. We took a comprehensive approach, eliminated all additivies, preservatives while treating w/NAET (allergy desensitization) and craniosacral to calm the nervous system and helped w/his neck tic.

NAET did not take the decrease the tics immediately, it was a slow & gradual process. We have been at it for 4 years. Also, my son has some sensory issues as well. That too, has gotton better.

Pat

Okay so if the onset of his tics corresponded with spring allergy season should I still go through food elimination stuff (and he tested negative for major allergens with skin prick test)? I ask bc it is such a major undertaking with a picky eater! :)

This is the thing with us. we noticed eye blinks during the fall I believe Oct/Nov when he was four and five which lasted about two weeks. Didn't think much of it, it went away. Once I started kind of paying attention spring of 09 (age 6) noticed mouth opening in March which lasted several weeks and then spitting for a couple of weeks in spring/Summer (don't remember but know it was there). Never spit in the house just outside on certain days. Like I said this fall (7 1/2) everything hit at once. Tics and congestion for three months straight. Allergist pointed out all outdoor stuff but wouldn't do food testing because no excema. I wasn't satisfied and got food sensitivity test and wow!! Found out their are food allergies and then confirmed food skin prick tests. Has been on elimination diet and has been doing better. The other day did the spitting thing once again throughout the day outside. His tics definately correlate with his outdoor allergies. And during food elimination he says that he feels better. Not tired and fatigue according to him. No it is not easy, it took awhile with some bad fights and arguments. I didn't think we would get through it but now 4 months later we actually talk about the hard times and he tells me it was hard and he cheated many times at school. But it is going well. Not perfect (he is a child and has his wants and needs) We all eat better as a family and he seems so much more happier overall. But I guess I won't see the real affects of the food elimination till the fall hits which was the worst time ever for us!!! I pray that we will not repeat the past!! The only way I will know what impact food had would be during the fall because that was his worst!

Mar

The fall is when my son came down with tics. He stopped 100% and came down again the following fall. Fall equals ragweed and mold to me? Now the spring and pollen has hit and he started with his eyes. I have seemed to "stop" them at this point. abbe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am new to this. My son's tics started around this time last year. They exploded around now and lasted strong until June. Once the summer hit, they decreased until Mid September and then lasted until the beginning of November. They then decreased until now. I am becoming convinced that something environmental is triggering the Spring outbreak. He has had a strong neck tic every 4 seconds for over a week now. I just scheduled a meeting with an Environmental Allergist. We'll see . . .

Karen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just confused....I also have a kid with tics and about to get allergy testing done...and I am actualy HOPING that I find some sesitivities so I can do something about it...but what makes me wonder is....the few months he had very few tics, he ws still eating all the food he eats now...so why wasn't he showing any reaction then? so sometimes I wonder about the allergy part...or could it just be environment AND food?

yes it can be either environmental and/or food allergies as well as other possible triggers

I knew of someone whose child had tics increase whenever she used those dreadful carpet shampoos and in between...hardly anything! Same with pesticides, and other chemicals that are periodically used....and of course there is the summer flare which is possibly related to swimming more in *chorine* water.............

So you really may benfit from also keeping a journal to see if you can correlate the periods of increase with anything that is maybe not around when the calm periods happen.

Keeping a journal is a good way to go in the beginning. I did for over a year and it really helped to look back and be like yes he ate that or this happened. Otherwise I would not remember anything. It could be little sime things that could help. Her is a good example ds lips started flaring a couple of weeks ago. The red lips which causes lip licking and mouth opening. This would only happen in the winter with him. So he has been having citrus and doing okay and then I realize he has been having actual tomatoes. He has pasta sauce and it okay. He is sensitive to tomatoes and citrus but told him to cut out tomatoes and citrus and his lips get better. Then today I read one of my many notes that during spring allergies which he has tomatoes and citrus should be avoided. Those fresh tomatoes were causing him problems. His lips are great and he is doing okay. It could be something so little and miner thag could be causing issues. The journal will help you figure these things out.

Mar

My ds started with a nose scrunch/grimace tic this week, along with some congestion. Since we're having very high tree pollen counts, I decided to bite the bullet and try an antihistamine. The doctor recommended Allegra, and so far the nose scrunch is fading away. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.