ACN Latitudes Forums

Kids Calm and Tics

Hello-

I've spent most of my time on the PANDAS forum so I'm posting my first message here today.

I started the Kids Calm based on some of your feedback to help with tics. How much improvement did you see with motor tics in particular? How soon did you see the improvements? My son (age 7) has quite extreme motor tics right now. I hope it might at least take the edge off. Andrea

Hi Santi

kids with Tourette Syndrome usually show a quick response to magnesium supplements like Kids Calm, with reduced tics.

This may not always occur of the tics have a different origin tho

have you tried epsom salts baths as well? (magnesium citrate)

The combination of transdermal magnesium plus the oral form as in the Kids Calm often works best

Hi Santi

kids with Tourette Syndrome usually show a quick response to magnesium supplements like Kids Calm, with reduced tics.

This may not always occur of the tics have a different origin tho

have you tried epsom salts baths as well? (magnesium citrate)

The combination of transdermal magnesium plus the oral form as in the Kids Calm often works best

yes, we do the salts when tics are high. Thanks for the input. Andrea

I too am primarily on the PANDAS forum. My son was diagnosed with Sydenham's 14 months ago. He presented with chorea and tics. He continues to have exacerbations with immune system challenges. We tried Kids Calm as well as Epsom Salt baths. The magnesium seemed to do the opposite for him (it made his movements worse and it made him have a lot of trouble sleeping). We tried Clonidine for the chorea and tics as well but that also made his movements worse and also gave him a lot of trouble sleeping. I'm thinking that if the movements are not caused by TS but have a different etiology then maybe what usually works for TS tics is not terribly effective for Sydenham's/PANDAS tics???

This was just our experience but I thought I would share. Perhaps there are some other PANDAS families who have found success with magnesium and they too will share experience.

PKM

Hello-

I've spent most of my time on the PANDAS forum so I'm posting my first message here today.

I started the Kids Calm based on some of your feedback to help with tics. How much improvement did you see with motor tics in particular? How soon did you see the improvements? My son (age 7) has quite extreme motor tics right now. I hope it might at least take the edge off. Andrea

yes, I do think one needs to be careful about supplementing magnesium just because there are tics

magnesium deficiency and tics have a link in Tourette Syndrome (see Bonnie Grimaldi's research http://www.bonnie.gr.com ) and magnesium is a relaxant so often people with other tic causes may benefit from it, but with all supplements, just as with medications, one really needs the guidance of a qualified health practitioner, especially in kids.

there are tests to check vitamin, mineral etc deficiencies

one of the threads up in the "helpful" sticky lists some tests

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=755

more helpful threads

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459