ACN Latitudes Forums

Shocks?

Does anyone have any clue what may be causing my DS' "shocks". he has had these for several years, especially when PANDAS symptoms are increasing. He had several eeg's, and although there is definitely seizure activity, the "shocks" did not show up as seizures. My son screams, then falls every time it happens. he has had them all over his body, including his heart (the heart has also been checked.) He has described them as "shocks", "feeling like being tasered", "feeling like he has a knife stuck in him."

Thanks.

Yes, he takes several. But the "shocks" started before he started on any meds. These were some of his first symptoms, but the doctor thought he was faking it after they couldn't find anything. I have mentioned it to other docs, but no one can figure out what it is. Could it be a neuropathy or something else?

Thanks.

This might really be reaching...but it's a thought....

maybe they are actual shocks like static eletricity.......maybe and i believe this ....some people are more lectrically charged tha others....

i had a guy i worked with who would hae to get watch batteries and others a atounding rates......and i too for a while had a time when my watch batteries would only last 9 - 12 months....that was over a course of like 5-7 years and i had a couple of watches i used......

maybe something like copper braclet to ground hime?????????

Yes, he takes several. But the "shocks" started before he started on any meds. These were some of his first symptoms, but the doctor thought he was faking it after they couldn't find anything. I have mentioned it to other docs, but no one can figure out what it is. Could it be a neuropathy or something else?

Thanks.

Another thought- pandas has extremely sensitized my kids, in different ways. One is extremely overly sensitive emotionally, and overly sensitive to anything going on in her stomach- normal digestion and hunger feel like pain to her (she is better from that right now). My little one has the typical sensory issues to clothing.

Possibly- he is overly sensitive to some static electricity. I would try the copper bracelet- if there is any psychological component, maybe that would help...

When my son was first diagnosed with Sydenham's, he had "shocks" all over both feet. He didn't scream when it happened though (good thing because the symptom was a pretty constant one!!). He compared it to when your feet are asleep "really really badly........only kind of different". This symptom eventually went away and has not returned. I don't know if it is at all similar to your son's "shocks" - but I thought I would share in case it helps!

PKM

Thank you. That helps so much. He does have Sydenham's Chorea. He also just told me that he can: "hold in the screams", like when he's at school, but his body definitely moves from the shock. In his case, it feels like he's being stabbed or tasered. I bet it does have something to do with the Sydenham's, though. And, it went away after the PEX last year, but is coming back, because all his symptoms are coming back.

When my son was first diagnosed with Sydenham's, he had "shocks" all over both feet. He didn't scream when it happened though (good thing because the symptom was a pretty constant one!!). He compared it to when your feet are asleep "really really badly........only kind of different". This symptom eventually went away and has not returned. I don't know if it is at all similar to your son's "shocks" - but I thought I would share in case it helps!

PKM

I hope it gets better for him soon - it is not a very pleasant sensation. My son had the sensation almost constantly (feet only) and it sounds like your son's comes on him suddenly and then goes away shortly thereafter?? That must be a little scary for him - never knowing when it will come. So many strange symptoms seem to be part of post-streptococcal disease (be it Sydenham's or PANDAS). Do you know why his symptoms are coming back (another strep infection or some other sort of immune system challenge)???

PKM

Thank you. That helps so much. He does have Sydenham's Chorea. He also just told me that he can: "hold in the screams", like when he's at school, but his body definitely moves from the shock. In his case, it feels like he's being stabbed or tasered. I bet it does have something to do with the Sydenham's, though. And, it went away after the PEX last year, but is coming back, because all his symptoms are coming back.

PKM

he was getting sick. Unfortunately, he's now having most of his symptoms (luckily not AS badly as last year before his IVIG, and then PEX, but still bad enough) most of the time. He's falling a lot...mostly at night...gets suddenly too weak to stand, and sometimes also accompanied by the shocks. He is scheduled for PEX, but we just have to wait until it's his turn.

Yes...the symptoms in our kids are just so hard to watch. But, it's coming from the brain, so there's going to be lots of different symptoms. And, the worst part is not just watching our children suffer, but trying to get to the bottom of it in the first place, and having people (especially doctors) think we're just making it all up, or exaggerating! Luckily, I have finally found good doctors (took more than 5 years, but, at least we're past that part.)

Yep - our son was originally diagnosed ARF/SC and he had the same bizarre symptom. Would be walking along and would suddenly collapse to the ground, unable to raise his limbs or head. Or he would slide out of a chair and be unable to get up. Episodic, came on without warning, utterly baffled us.

The folks on the wemove.org SC forum reported this as common for SC. Freaky!

My son has SC/PANDAS and would fall out of chairs or fall down when walking to class. Dr. Latimer said it was called the rag doll effect. Very wierd.