ACN Latitudes Forums

More Strep!

Hello Everyone,

Well I am 99.9% sure my son has strep again. I hate strep!!!!!!!! I took him in yesterday to be tested, we did not do a rapid since he is on Antibiotics, so the doc took a culture. He has had all of his normal symptoms...aggresive behavior, problems sleeping, melt downs. This all started a week ago, but I guess I was in denial. Then I noticed the strep breath on Tuesday and Wed. morning he said his mouth hurt. Then our last stage started last night..bed wetting. Guess I should mention there were 2 confirmed cases of strep at his daycare this week also.

Hoping you could help with a few questions.

He was on Augmentin ES 600mg/5ML SUSP 75ML 1/2 teaspoon morning and night. Was this just not enough to protect him? He is 3 1/2, 40 pounds.

The doctor has prescribed Bactrim. This will be his first time taking this medicine (I thought we had tried everything) Have any of you heard of this for Strep?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ginger

Hello Everyone,

Well I am 99.9% sure my son has strep again. I hate strep!!!!!!!! I took him in yesterday to be tested, we did not do a rapid since he is on Antibiotics, so the doc took a culture. He has had all of his normal symptoms...aggresive behavior, problems sleeping, melt downs. This all started a week ago, but I guess I was in denial. Then I noticed the strep breath on Tuesday and Wed. morning he said his mouth hurt. Then our last stage started last night..bed wetting. Guess I should mention there were 2 confirmed cases of strep at his daycare this week also.

He was on Augmentin ES 600mg/5ML SUSP 75ML 1/2 teaspoon morning and night. Was this just not enough to protect him? He is 3 1/2, 40 pounds.

The doctor has prescribed Bactrim. This will be his first time taking this medicine (I thought we had tried everything) Have any of you heard of this for Strep?

Ginger

I am so sorry! It sure sounds like strep. When will you hear? I have not heard of that abx before. I know here in NC, there is a resistant strain of strep going around, so my doc said it's possible to get it even while on abx.

HUGS!

Bactrim is an unusual choice for treating strep. I did get it myself for a bladder infection many many years ago. It's a sulfa drug. Maybe your doc thought to try this b/c you've been on so many other abs (since you've said you've tried everything)?

If your doc is thinking Augmentin failed, Azithromycin or Clindamycin would be a better choice IMO. Have you done those?

So it looks like your son got 300mg of Augmentin 2x daily. I think this sound like a reasonable dose?? Sammy got 1000mg/2x daily but he was bigger (100#).

Also, I would definitely culture family members to make sure you don't have a carrier that is affecting your son.

Bactrim is not a typical antibiotic used for strep. It is used most often for ear infections and urinary tract infections. I am not sure why your physician jumped from Augmentin to Bactrim.

Besides Augmentin, what antibiotics has your child been on? IMO, if he has strep while on Augmentin, I would switch to Zithromax.

Colleen

Bactrim is not a typical antibiotic used for strep. It is used most often for ear infections and urinary tract infections. I am not sure why your physician jumped from Augmentin to Bactrim.

Besides Augmentin, what antibiotics has your child been on? IMO, if he has strep while on Augmentin, I would switch to Zithromax.

Colleen

Thanks for the info Ladies! My son has been on Augmentin, Keflex, tried Biaxin but he won't take it, zithro. Oh gosh, So many I really don't know where to begin! The doctor decided to go with Bactrim based on information he received from the Mayo Clinic. I think, becasue this is the only antibiotic we haven't tried??? My son's IgG levels are really low, in all sub classes but more so in 3. Please see below. I think many of you are experiencing the same thing.

Total IgG 355 Ref Range 295-1156

IGG-1 268 range 158-721

IGG-2 70 range 39-176

IGG-3 19.6 range 17.0-84.7

IGG-4 3.3 range 0.4-49.1

IGG E 5 range 0-230

IGG A 58 range 16-94

IGG M 58 range 18-126

C-REACTIVE Protein 0.7 Range 0-0.5

He is not a strep carrier, based on Dr. T's observation.

His ASO Titer is always negative.

He is a responder to Vaccines, however I don't know which one's the doc tested for.

Cole has had Strep more times then I can count. Last year we went through the exact same thing from October-April every month. We have treated everyone in the house including the dog. I change his toothbrush evert week. He has been on antibiotics since Feb. 2 nd this time. I am so tired of sterilizing everything, expecially because obviously it isn't working. I am also OCD when it comes to cleaning. Ugh, really does a number on me everytime..My poor husband and child! lol

Thanks for listening everyone!!! Hope you have a wonderful Easter.

Ginger

Hello Everyone,

Ginger

Should of listened to all of you! The Bactrim is not working! Making up words, can't sit still. I don't think he has stopped talking, yelling since he woke up at 6:30. Please give me the strength. My poor little boy.

Thanks for listening!

Edited by Ginger