ACN Latitudes Forums

Depression and Inflammation

Interesting article!!! Thanks.

As you may know, we are working with a nutritionist to counter inflammation with high dose probiotics, repair leaking gut and process toxins. Our son's toxicity levels are very high as well as my friend's son who had RF and is also PANDAS.

I think you'll find attached article also interesting... if you haven't read it already. http://markbrudnak.com/Articles/probiotics...immune_anti.htm

I think we will eventually find, and already are beginning to find that disease in general is a state of inflammation. There may be a genetic or lifestyle factor involved, but inflammation seems to play a role in almost every sdisease/disorder I can think of.

my grandma always said that inflammation was at the root of all illness. She was a retired nurse, and farmer's wife, and had amazing natural remedies for everything. I am in my 50s so she was from an era long ago! but so much of that "folk" wisdom on disease and treatments still rings true today!

I learned about daily probiotics from her, tho she didnt call them that. She made the most amazing kefir

my son has been on a very successful anti-inflammatory diet since his Crohn's dx and the whole family have adopted it too. I had arthritis in my right foot, caused I was told by a sprain years ago. Since going "anti-inflammatory, I dont need to use my Salonpas patches on my foot anymore as the pain and swelling are gone

altho the anti-inflamm diet & supps to reduce inflammation hasnt altered the mild TS tics my son still has, it has made an enormous improvement to his Crohn's symptoms and his OCD, always his biggest problem, is negligible

Where can I find out more about the anti-inflamatory diet?

my grandma always said that inflammation was at the root of all illness. She was a retired nurse, and farmer's wife, and had amazing natural remedies for everything. I am in my 50s so she was from an era long ago! but so much of that "folk" wisdom on disease and treatments still rings true today!

I learned about daily probiotics from her, tho she didnt call them that. She made the most amazing kefir

my son has been on a very successful anti-inflammatory diet since his Crohn's dx and the whole family have adopted it too. I had arthritis in my right foot, caused I was told by a sprain years ago. Since going "anti-inflammatory, I dont need to use my Salonpas patches on my foot anymore as the pain and swelling are gone

altho the anti-inflamm diet & supps to reduce inflammation hasnt altered the mild TS tics my son still has, it has made an enormous improvement to his Crohn's symptoms and his OCD, always his biggest problem, is negligible

Where can I find out more about the anti-inflamatory diet?

we tailored our diet to my son and husband's specific needs so it may vary from others in books and on the web

One important thing we had to do was up omega 3 but reduce omega 6 because the former is anti-inflammatory whereas the latter promotes inflammation...a good thing in normal immune systems but not wanted when inflammation is already a problem

Curcumin/boswellia are key supplements my son uses as well

here are recent threads discussing anti- inflamm diet etc

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7072

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7075

I like Dr Weil's simple explanation of anti inflamm diet, as well as the food recommendations he gives. see the anti-inflamm food pyramid in a link from the article

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02012/anti-inflammatory-diet

Hence my prediction that eventually TNF-alpha inhibitors will be used for these disorders...

I don't know how to explain my thoughts, but somewhere between this information and "PANDAS" may be where some of our kids lie,....in other words, I am thinking it may not all really all be "PANDAS" in the current definition of the acronym ( but that some of our kids' symptoms DO have an autoimmune and inflammatory component, with illness as somewhat of a contributing trigger. So basically I like and agree with the above information and feel these are some things to look into as far as treatment for some of our kids symptoms. :) ...."PANDAS" may be too narrow a term for some of our kids.... not exactly sure, but just saying.

that is why we expanded this forum to be PANDAS & PITAND Faith,

and over on the TS/tics board the concept of inflammatory triggers is pretty well accepted too IMHO...even those who tic because of allergies usually have an inflammatory response to the allergen

Sherry.... (not that there is anything wrong with my memory, but yes I like investigating this type of stuff :))

This article seems pretty relevant. Celery and green peppers!

http://www.dietaryfiberfood.com/antioxidan...antioxidant.php

Those cells that were also exposed to luteolin showed a significantly diminished inflammatory response. Jang showed that luteolin was shutting down production of a key cytokine in the inflammatory pathway, interleukin-6 (IL-6). The effects of luteolin exposure were dramatic, resulting in as much as a 90 percent drop in IL-6 production in the LPS-treated cells.

“This was just about as potent an inhibition as anything we had seen previously,” Johnson said.

But how was luteolin inhibiting production of IL-6"

and

To see if luteolin might have a similar effect in vivo, the researchers gave mice luteolin-laced drinking water for 21 days before injecting the mice with LPS.

Those mice that were fed luteolin had significantly lower levels of IL-6 in their blood plasma four hours after injection with the LPS. Luteolin also decreased LPS-induced transcription of IL-6 in the hippocampus, a brain region that is critical to spatial learning and memory.

The "Sherry" was a joke!

Edited by kim

I know this is looking at the effects of curcumin in a diabetic rat model, but I think vascular inflammation and disordered blood sugar may apply to at least some of us.

TNFa and IL6 again.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1897611...ogdbfrom=pubmed

Curcumin supplementation lowers TNF-alpha, IL-6, IL-8, and MCP-1 secretion in high glucose-treated cultured monocytes and blood levels of TNF-alpha, IL-6, MCP-1, glucose, and glycosylated hemoglobin in diabetic rats.

SFmom,

Could you say what test was used for toxic levels, and what toxins were indicated?

As you may know, we are working with a nutritionist to counter inflammation with high dose probiotics, repair leaking gut and process toxins. Our son's toxicity levels are very high as well as my friend's son who had RF and is also PANDAS.

We looked at PH balances... both saliva and urine. We tested them for 14 days, first morning saliva before you eat/drink anything and early evening urine (you don't want first morning urine as its too concentrated). Saliva should be between 6.8 to 7.0 better to be too high than too low. Urine should be between 5.7 and 6.3 its better to be too low than too high. If the PH's are out of range the toxicity level is high and because the body is overwhelmed the toxins are sent back out into other organ's to process toxins.... vicious cycle. So, you are testing for general toxicity levels non specific.

Our son's urine was well above 7.0 on average..... we've been following new protocol for almost 12 weeks and his most recent test show him down to 6.5.

http://www.iherb.com/Vaxa-International-pH...rips/15734?at=0

-Wendy

SFmom,

Could you say what test was used for toxic levels, and what toxins were indicated?

YES!!!! We are close to 100% but I won't feel confident posting that until we are COMPLETELY symptomless and post any IVIG treatment at least 6 months and his toxicity levels are within normal range.

-Wendy

SFMom, since his levels have been lowering, have you noticed any difference in behaviours?