ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin experience?

We added 100mg augmentin to DD7 to the 250mg zithromax this week. She was exposed to strep approx 2 weeks ago and has been ramping up since... the thing that bugs me the most is the meltdowns and rages.... I have heard that it can take a very long time for them to go away and sometimes not until IVIG or PEX. then others it comes faster... She did respond to steroid in Feb so we know there is a chance for success with the IVIG or PEX

Just curious as to what others have experienced on augmentin and/or the combo

It really depends on the child. One of my children (both have PANDAS) has been sick almost constantly this winter, and of course the rages are the first to surface (I finally got several of the pediatricians in the practice to take me seriously...one finally apologized to me.) I have found the rages subside within a few days on my DS14, but literally overnight in DS17. So, it really does depend on the child.

Both have had PEX, and the symptoms really went almost completely away, except keep resurfacing with new illness. We are on the list to get another round of PEX...hopefully soon.

Good luck. It's such a horrible disease.

It really depends on the child. One of my children (both have PANDAS) has been sick almost constantly this winter, and of course the rages are the first to surface (I finally got several of the pediatricians in the practice to take me seriously...one finally apologized to me.) I have found the rages subside within a few days on my DS14, but literally overnight in DS17. So, it really does depend on the child.

Both have had PEX, and the symptoms really went almost completely away, except keep resurfacing with new illness. We are on the list to get another round of PEX...hopefully soon.

Good luck. It's such a horrible disease.

My daughter never did respond to Augmentin, Althoug it's been 12-16 months so I don't remember the dosage. Her doctor went back and forth between Amoxicillan and Augmentin for nearly 5 months until I found this site and heard of PANDAS as my daughter got sicker and sicker. We met a covering doctor, a pretty recent medical school grad who actually heard of PANDAS. He suggested trying Clindamycin-I know from reading this forum that it doesn't work for every child-and it tastes and smells awful. It worked for my child though-I consider it her cure. It's pretty scary stuff with a whole lot of potential GI side effects-but all these treatments have potential side effects. After a round of this my daughter never needed anything else. She was 4 1/2 at the time and had the strep about 7 months.

Don't give up hope,

Amy

Edited by AmySLP

It took a week or two to notice small changes for our 11ds. We saw significant decreases in rages after 4 months. Buster had a post that helped us start daily charting. It really helped us notice the subtle changes in the PANDAS symptoms. Hope this helps.

We had daily rages and within a couple days the rages were diminished to just "tempertantrums" huge difference, but ocd,tics,anxiety are all still so high and its been 3 weeks now since we started the augmentin and would technically be considered nonfunctioning still but not having the rages is a good start!

Just an update.... last night my DD said "something feels different with my body today... I had such a good happy day" and she really did! there were no meltdowns no rages very minimal OCD things... she even went to be happy.... so maybe the medicine is helping in the fight.... I am starting to look at PANDAS like a war... mayb yesterday er body won a battle (with the help of the antibiotics) but the war and the daily battles still ensue as today was a rocky day.... but there were no rages and still minimal OCD and it seemed to be the "just right or just so" that lead to meltdowns from frustration... so maybe a little progress is being made...

I am going to look for Buster's charting system so I have something concrete to refer back to....