Claire

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Good day. I am new to this, so please forgive the lack of knowledge. My daughter is 6 1/2 years old and we know that she has a TIC disorder and probably Tourettes (since my husbands family has a history, we know the signs). We have an appointment to see the Pediatric Neurologist (the earliest was in October). In the meanwhile, we had her take the skin scratch test. She only tested positive for dustmites, cats, and tomatoes. She tested negative for dairy, but I have had her on an elimination diet and noticed dairy makes her tic like crazy. Needless to say, I do not feel confident with the scratch test done. I am having a hard time convincing the doctors to give her these other tests. Which ones should I push the doctors for? Also, should I just do all the ones you mentioned without the doctors signature? Who will read the results for me or are they self explanatory. As a side note, the elimination diet.. do you usually see immediate results when reintroduced and is one week enough time. Thanks for any comments.

HELLO

I had my sone do the LRA by ELISA/ACT which tests for 144 items (chemicals and foods) after he tested negative to all skin scratch tests. You can order the ELISA/ACT from www.directlabs.com and take the kit to a lab, then send the kit in. My son tested positive for 11 items, and eliminating those has turned him into a DIFFERENT CHILD. Almost tick free, and no longer agitated. I also find adding MAGNESIUM hlpful, but not with orange flavor, as he tested positive to orange (as well as red grapes, chocolate, red and green dyes, romaine lettuce, and more). Let me know if I can help

Take care and good luck

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 7 year old son who has had tics in the past and who has had them more severely this year starting at Easter (lots of head turning, blinking, sholder shrugging and some minor vocal tics). I really want to pursue allergy testing, hair mineral analysis and maybe look at any nutritional deficiencies. I am reading with great interest Sheila Roger's book and it really gives me hope. However over here in the UK it does not seem easy to do this and I know that I need a physicians help ideally - so does anyone know of any doctors who might be able to help with this in the UK?? I really feel I should explore this in parallel with what is likely to be a referral to a neurologist who is likely to just say there is nothing to do but wait and see.

Thanks (hopefully)

Hi Alison and welcome :)

good that you have Sheila's book as reference....

Although I lived in the UK during the 70s-80s, but, I don't know what the health system is structured like now. I imagine it would be hard to find a doctor under NHS who thinks outside the box, but it is always a possibility. You may find more help in trying to locate a naturopath or possibly even a homeopath, but usually over there they would be private, not NHS. If you are able to go private, then you may be able to find more Integrative physicians over there.

I am also not sure how that CODEX law on supplement regulation has affected the UK, but I know places like Boots used to carry vitamins and minerals. You can also order from companies here in the USA who ship to England...one of the best is iherb.com

hope that helps a bit