ACN Latitudes Forums

Natural Calm

Hope

Our son is almost 11 and weighs 75 lbs.

I currently give him about 1/2 tsp of Natural Calm at night before bed.

I have been thinking it might be more effective if given in the morning to help with school?

I don't want him to be too tired though?

When do you find it helps the most?

How much do your kids take?

DS doesn't like the flavor, even the lemon/raspberry one but we add a little lemonade and it helps.

Any other suggestions for making it more palatable?

Thanks so much!

Hi Hope

the Natural Calm does seem to promote sleep so maybe do a test over weekend giving it in the morning to see how it goes

my son is adult so he takes the full teaspoon at night when he feels he needs it

He also takes a cal/mag/zinc supp in the morning (has 400mg mag) and gets extra mag from his nightly epsom salts footbaths too

my understanding is that around 300-500mg a day is the supplemental oral magnesium dose that is recommended for keeping tics down, depending on weight

I give my son 1 tsp of the Natural Calm plus calcium to my ds at night. I like the fact that it's already balanced for mag/cal/Vit D for me already. I'm actually giving it to him for many reasons not just for tics. I think cal/mag supplements are excellent for bone growth and density, including teeth. And, he plays competitive tennis and sometimes has muscle aches, etc, so I find the magnesium helps relax the muscles, etc.

Bonnie

hope,

I think you can do more than a 1/2 tsp of the natural calm if you wanted. I do the same thing with the lemonade, but I dissolve the mag powder in a very small amount of hot/boiled water and then put just a splash so he can just drink it pretty fast, so kind of concentrated, but he can get it down in one or two big sips.

• 1 month later...

I recently asked this question to the manufacturer and got this response:

"The RDA for children his age is 200 milligrams of magnesium (about one tsp.) per day, but, in Dr. Carolyn Dean’s (M.D. N.D.) book (The Magnesium Miracle) she says that a person can take up to 6 milligrams per pound of body weight as a therapeutic dose (i.e. 50 lb child x 6 mg per pound would be about 1 ½ tsp)"

I have been giving my son NC for about 2 months now and the results are miraculous. If you go back and read my posting "Overwhelmed..." you'll see what we went through back in March.

Since adding NC, the tics have nearly gone away. They change frequently (Probably 4 times in the past month) but are still very mild. I've been trying to determine whether or not NC is actually having an affect or if its any other factors so here's what I did:

I've been giving him 3/4 tsp at night and 1/2 in the morning (it didn't make him tired). What I've noticed was that when he woke up he would tic quite a bit (still not horrible). I would give him the NC and by the time he goes to school he's almost totally fine. His teacher told me that he has been nearly tic free all morning and by 2:00pm it starts up a little (but still not bad at all).

By the time he gets his evening dose he's ticing a little more but it's all still mild.

today I decided to give him 1/2 tsp at breakfast, again at lunch and back off his nighttime dose from 3/4 tsp to 1/2 (I may ditch it all-together. Still not sure). He came home from school virtually tic free. I'm totally convinced now that magnesium is what is fixing this and I'm very optimistic that this can be a long-term solution.

The manufacturer recommended that I switch from 3 discrete doses to 1 or 2 long doses like putting a teaspoon in the water he takes to school and let him graze on it all day. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Last night was his first loose stool. Hopefully switching to a slow-release dose will help.

Ryan gets 1 tsp at night with his clonidine and it has worked well for us. He is still pretty much tic free (I see the small ones b/c I look for them) since I started the clonidine/kid's calm. Maybe I'll try breaking up the dose for morning and night. Ryan has adhd along with his tics and I'm thinking the kids calm in the morning would help him focus. I'll have to try it next weekend. If it's not one thing, it's another :lol:

I think I will order some for Anthony does anyone know where to buy it ?? Is it called Natural calm or Kids calm?? thanks

Deanna

I think I will order some for Anthony does anyone know where to buy it ?? Is it called Natural calm or Kids calm?? thanks

Deanna

Deanna

the Kid's Calm has magnesium plus Vitamin C and zinc

the Natural Calm is just magnesium citrate

both are in the ionic form so are quickly absorbed

there is also one that has calcium and magnesium

I found iherb cheapest but sometimes my local The Vitamin Shoppe has it in sale as well

http://www.iherb.com/Peter-Gillham-s-Natural-Vitality

Edited by Chemar

Hello,

which one should I start with the one with just magnesiun or the one containing the calcium and zinc?

Deanna

Hello,

which one should I start with the one with just magnesiun or the one containing the calcium and zinc?

Deanna

it really depends on your child's needs and whether he is already taking other supps that provide his vit C, zinc & calcium

the kids calm is VitaminC and zinc with the magnesium....no calcium

the natural calm is *only* magnesium,

which is why most of us use it, for the benefit of the extra magnesium in calming tics

the natural vitality is magnesium and cacium.....no zinc

thanks --I stopped all supplements a while ago because I started so much at once I did not know what was working and what was not--maybe I should get the Kids Calms any thoughts??

Deanna

I recently asked this question to the manufacturer and got this response:

"The RDA for children his age is 200 milligrams of magnesium (about one tsp.) per day, but, in Dr. Carolyn Dean’s (M.D. N.D.) book (The Magnesium Miracle) she says that a person can take up to 6 milligrams per pound of body weight as a therapeutic dose (i.e. 50 lb child x 6 mg per pound would be about 1 ½ tsp)"

I have been giving my son NC for about 2 months now and the results are miraculous. If you go back and read my posting "Overwhelmed..." you'll see what we went through back in March.

Since adding NC, the tics have nearly gone away. They change frequently (Probably 4 times in the past month) but are still very mild. I've been trying to determine whether or not NC is actually having an affect or if its any other factors so here's what I did:

I've been giving him 3/4 tsp at night and 1/2 in the morning (it didn't make him tired). What I've noticed was that when he woke up he would tic quite a bit (still not horrible). I would give him the NC and by the time he goes to school he's almost totally fine. His teacher told me that he has been nearly tic free all morning and by 2:00pm it starts up a little (but still not bad at all).

By the time he gets his evening dose he's ticing a little more but it's all still mild.

today I decided to give him 1/2 tsp at breakfast, again at lunch and back off his nighttime dose from 3/4 tsp to 1/2 (I may ditch it all-together. Still not sure). He came home from school virtually tic free. I'm totally convinced now that magnesium is what is fixing this and I'm very optimistic that this can be a long-term solution.

The manufacturer recommended that I switch from 3 discrete doses to 1 or 2 long doses like putting a teaspoon in the water he takes to school and let him graze on it all day. I'm willing to give it a shot.

Last night was his first loose stool. Hopefully switching to a slow-release dose will help.

Hi Kevin,

I was wondering which NC ar you giving , is the regular or the one with all the vitamins

http://www.iherb.com/Peter-Gillham-s-Natur...7-ml/22855?at=0

Thank you!

Deby

Hi Deby

that product you linked is the Kids Calm multi, not the Natural Calm, which is a magnesium supplement,

I see the Kid's Calm Magnesium with just vit C & zinc no longer indexed on iHerb?? which is a pity

that is a good multi

but

some things would make be leery of it

1. people with Tourette may tic more on it as it contains some of the amino acids they should avoid because of the dopaminergic effect (eg tyrosine, phenlyalanine)

2. it contains sodium benzoate...a no-no preservative

3. I would want to know what "organic flavors" mean? as even the term "natural flavors" has been found to hide MSG and other no-nos

4. some people with TS tic more with omega derived from fishoil

Edited by Chemar

Hi Deby

that product you linked is the Kids Calm multi, not the Natural Calm, which is a magnesium supplement,

I see the Kid's Calm Magnesium with just vit C & zinc no longer indexed on iHerb?? which is a pity

that is a good multi

but

some things would make be leery of it

1. people with Tourette may tic more on it as it contains some of the amino acids they should avoid because of the dopaminergic effect (eg tyrosine, phenlyalanine)

2. it contains sodium benzoate...a no-no preservative

3. I would want to know what "organic flavors" mean? as even the term "natural flavors" has been found to hide MSG and other no-nos

4. some people with TS tic more with omega derived from fishoil

Thank you Cheri,

I bought the Natural calm (only Mag) and i'm trying to find good chewable kids vitamins. all of them have the "natural flavors" ingredients.

Do you know any good brand?

Thanks again!

Deby