ACN Latitudes Forums

Large Hives associated with strep?

I am not familiar with Myco. but I will google it. My daughter has continued every 12 hours or so to get different looking hives in various places. This am it was nearly 75% of her face covered, in addition to the large, welt-like areas that are popping up on her shoulders, legs and arms. This am I'd estimate her body was in all likely 50% covered in hives. I gave 1 tsp of benedryl and within 1/2 hour all were gone. I called a nursing hotline to see if they recommend we see a doc. today. This nurse felt testing was warranted but not an emergency unless Allison complains of stomach pain and has swollen eyelids. SHe did have the swollen eye lids yesterday, but I think they were from hives and she hasn't complained of stomach pain at all.

I did e-mail Dr LAtimer who dx her last year with PANDAS to see what she'd recommend. I'm hoping to get a response or I'll call her office tomorrow.

As always I appreciate the insight everyone on this forum has to share,

Amy

Hi - I don't want to muddy the waters in any way and know virtually nothing about Kawasaki's but just thought I'd throw it out there as an option.. here's a quote re skin symptoms and kawasaki's

The rash in Kawasaki’s disease can take different forms, most commonly a nonspecific, diffuse, eruption of flattened papules. The rash usually covers the entire body, including the trunk and extremities, and itching may occur.

Read more at Suite101: Kawasaki's Disease: Immune-Mediated Vasculitis in Children http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.com/arti...e#ixzz0jUiVbmFT

SFmom.. seems to have some good kawasaki's knowledge.. just a thought...

My PANDAS son had hives, years ago in kindergarten following a virus, they lasted for 3 full months. Appeared all over his body, and would come and go during the day.....raised welts, you could see them traveling on his skin, reminded you of elephant skin. He was limited verbal, so couldn't tell us anything, but sometimes they seemed to itch, and must have been painful...because he would literally scream in pain. It was horrible time for him, nothing really seem to work much and I felt helpless.....the doctor had told me early on that they have been known to last for up to 3 months....they did! But it also brought a regression of skills for him.

Hi - I don't want to muddy the waters in any way and know virtually nothing about Kawasaki's but just thought I'd throw it out there as an option.. here's a quote re skin symptoms and kawasaki's

The rash in Kawasaki’s disease can take different forms, most commonly a nonspecific, diffuse, eruption of flattened papules. The rash usually covers the entire body, including the trunk and extremities, and itching may occur.

Read more at Suite101: Kawasaki's Disease: Immune-Mediated Vasculitis in Children http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.com/arti...e#ixzz0jUiVbmFT

SFmom.. seems to have some good kawasaki's knowledge.. just a thought...

I did look this up...She has really no other symptoms...My dad has vascultitis several times over the last few months..her appears more hive-like rather than rash-like as in vaculitis that i've seen.

Thanks, I'm willing to look into any ideas.

• 3 years later...

Reading an old thread of mine...my dtr. Is getting hive like things on joints again....much smaller though than a few yrs. ago. She also I a scarletina felling rash that's itchy on her chest. This is crazy...she is just a few days off clindamycin for an obvious flare that came with tics and emotional lability out if the blue. These symptoms have resolved but now this! What to do now?

Hello

Just a quick thought are you dealing with joint pain at all? My dd had serum sickness that started as vasculitis that looked like hives and then had some full face and body swelling and then after a few days she had polyarthritis. It lasted 3 weeks in total and is a type 3 delayed hyper sensitivity.

It started on day 8 of augmentin and she can no longer take penicillin. Probably not this but just a thought. oh and at about 24 or so hours in (maybe more) she had red hot swollen knees and elbows.

Hope you sort it out...

If there's any reason to suspect it, I would try to rule out serum sickness to be safe. My ds had a bout of dermographism (aka dermatographic urticaria), which are physical contact-induced hives that appear where there's been contact/pressure/scratch on the skin. They pop up in different places depending on where there's been contact and can be large/irregularly shaped. They tend to appear within a relatively short timeframe of the contact and also resolve relatively quickly (within half hour to hours-- not like hives that come and stay in the same spot until treated). If you have any reason to suspect this, at the time your child's Benadryl is wearing off, you could try drawing/writing something with a distinctive shape on her skin. They think it may have been a serum sickness symptom. He stopped Augmentin, took both an antihistamine and Zantac (as H2 blocker), and the big breakout resolved. He's a rash-y guy, and prone to mysterious outbreaks and symptoms, so we're not 100% sure on that as the cause (or sure of anything w/ him, for that matter!). He tends to get a variety of mysterious rashes with illnesses, so both of your lines of thinking make sense to me...

HTH! Good luck!