ACN Latitudes Forums

two different abx at the same time?

After a call into the Dr. today we are starting augmentin and azithromycin. DS10 has been on azithromycin since the beginning of Feb. Before that, augmentin and 21 day steroid burst. Three weeks ago, after a visit to the Dr. my son was doing so well and titers had come down to almost normal, the Dr. decided we should cut the azithromycin in half. About 5 days later we found out that wasn't a good move, (behavioral issues, vocal tics) so we bumped it back up to full dose. He has never come back from the symptoms we saw after we started the half dose, so now we are doing both. Has anyone ever doubled up on antibiotics? Was it successful? Our local CVS is really starting to wonder about us!

Target pharmacy knows us by name. At one point, the pharmacist finally politely inquired and we explained about the strep part. Then he tells us whne he was a child, he was a strep carrier! Nice.

Our local CVS is really starting to wonder about us!
Edited by Vickie

MY kids are on Zith 250/day and have beeen for 1 1/2 years. There have been times (ear infections) when we added Augmentin or omnicef, but only for 10 days.

I think I saw some improvement, but they were not really in a flareup at the time.

Months ago, my pharmacist gave me a weird look and told me that it is "not typical" to take Zithromax everyday. I responded, "well, they are taking for something that is also not typical". No one has said anything since, but I have the fear that the antibiotic police are going to one day stop them from filling my prescription.

Colleen

MY kids are on Zith 250/day and have beeen for 1 1/2 years. There have been times (ear infections) when we added Augmentin or omnicef, but only for 10 days.

I think I saw some improvement, but they were not really in a flareup at the time.

Months ago, my pharmacist gave me a weird look and told me that it is "not typical" to take Zithromax everyday. I responded, "well, they are taking for something that is also not typical". No one has said anything since, but I have the fear that the antibiotic police are going to one day stop them from filling my prescription.

Colleen

I had a problem w/ the insurance company and my zith prescription-it was declined because they "will only cover 6 tablets every 21 days." I told them that I think it should be up to her doctor how much she needs. She has a coordinator from the state who straightened it out for me. ( I also had a problem getting her Lamictal filled for the prescribed amount) I think they are trying to avoid physicians who prescribe 3 months worth of medication in 1 month to save the patient a couple of copays.

My son is 10 and he is on Azithromycin 250 mg 2x day plus Augmentin 1000 mg 2x day for about 3 months now. He is doing really great. He gets a big dose of probiotics every night... alternating UltraFlora and VSL. Dr. T. says one antibiotic kills strep, the other slows it down (from multiplying) something like that.