ACN Latitudes Forums

Cookware-any recommendations

mar

I am in the process of buying new cookware and just purchased a set of Capholon refined stainless steel. Have not opened the box yet. First of all I notice made in China (which scares me off) and then am wondering what this refined means. Anyway any suggestions for some good cookware would be appeciated. Don't want to spent all the money and find out its trash.

Thanks

Mar

Thats so funny I am looking at getting some new cookware as well. I would also like to know what that means.

Deanna

Hi,

Ever since my son came back low in iron I have cooked with Iron Skillets. They really are not all that much money, and as long as you keep them seasoned they will last forever. ( "seasoned" means speading some oil all over inside the skillet after every use) I love mine very easy to clean too.

I use glass bakewear for the oven.

CP

we use primarily glass cookware (including the Visions stove top items)

for those times when I need pan or pot, I use my enameled cookware

as CP mentioned, iron cookware is good if you are ok with the iron leeching...that is good for people who need more iron but not for those who should avoid it

Non stick cookware is IMHO dangerous in terms of the chemical toxins it leeches (lots of info on that)

Aluminum leeches too and even "stainless steel" can sometimes be compounded with ick stuff

I personally will not knowingly buy anything at all that comes from China as one just does not know what they have put in it, as it seems clear that even the label info on stuff made in China isnt always fully disclosing the contents

I use glass dishes too, all made in the USA or France. (Arcoroc) Also use glass mugs

there is lead and other impurities in some ceramic/china dishes so I try to avoid those,

I meant to mention re the cookware that I do still have a large set of vintage white Corningware that I still use as ovenware and in the microwave (it is mixture of glass and ceramic)

Edited by Chemar

This is a very interesting thread. I'd really like to get away from using my non-stick pans as I know how bad they can be for you. I have a cast iron coated skillet that I use but I hate it b/c everything sticks and it's hard to clean. I use stainless pots from Williams Sonoma and glass in the oven.

So, what does everyone use for bakeware? What do you make cookies on or heat up frozen pizzas(we buy the gluten free ones from our local health food store). I have a stone baking pan and a pizza stone but they are so big and bulky and sometimes those non-stick baking sheets are far more convenient.

As for glass, Cheri is the glass cookware expensive? I wouldn't mind switching to glass pots and pans at all.

Oh, and what about storing food? I use polycarbonate storage bowls and try to stay away from the cheapy plastic ones that look like they'll melt in the oven. Do you use glass for storage, too?

Bonnie

Cheri,

If you use glass from the US or France, would ceramic dishes from France be ok?

Thanks,

San

that would depend on what they put into the ceramic mix

the glass does not leech, but many, not all, ceramics do

So, what does everyone use for bakeware?

As for glass, Cheri is the glass cookware expensive? I wouldn't mind switching to glass pots and pans at all.

Oh, and what about storing food? I use polycarbonate storage bowls and try to stay away from the cheapy plastic ones that look like they'll melt in the oven. Do you use glass for storage, too?

Bonnie

I have enamel bake sheets

I got the "Visions" items years ago and I know you can still find them on eBay for reasonable prices. Havent priced new ones so not sure what $ they are at

I store food in vintage glass refrigerator dishes...I really love those! Have a set of different sizes made by Hazel Atlas. The Corningware is also great for storage and I wash out glass jars and use those for storage too

I store nothing in plastic anymore and never never ever use plastic in the micro

recent studies have shown that both heat and cold cause the ick stuff to leech out of the plastic