ACN Latitudes Forums

Has anyone else had vision problems?

Not sure what has been going on in the last 4 or 5 days. DS4 has probably had another viral infection and a worsening of tics, anxiety, tummy pains and then yesterday he told me his left eye was "misty". It is so hard to know what a 4yr old means by this. We ended up being seen at the local children's hospital who couldn't come up with any explanation. They said there was nothing to find examining him. He says it has been a little better today but still misty. Am I wrong in thinking he might be describing blurred vision? Has anyone else experienced this with PANDAS? Our neuro doc says it is "atypical"! One other suggestion was a migraine.

On top of all that he has been really sad today, crying a lot and not wanting to be left alone at all.

I feel like I am totally at a loss with all this right now. It is so scary the way these different symptoms just appear overnight. I am so worried I am giving myself a stomach ache.

:(

Our son complained of 'floaters' colored spots in his vision, lack of ability to see clearly out of one eye and has uneven dilated pupils. The eye he always points to is the one that is always dilated slightly smaller. I have learned to trust that his physical complaints are real and associated with how sick he was!!!!!

He is 10 weeks post his 3rd high dose IVIG treatment and ALL those complaints are resolving along with the 'super dilated pupils' and uneven dilation.

Hang in there.... I know your worry. Your son is young and properly treated he can recover from these aliments.

-Wendy

Not sure what has been going on in the last 4 or 5 days. DS4 has probably had another viral infection and a worsening of tics, anxiety, tummy pains and then yesterday he told me his left eye was "misty". It is so hard to know what a 4yr old means by this. We ended up being seen at the local children's hospital who couldn't come up with any explanation. They said there was nothing to find examining him. He says it has been a little better today but still misty. Am I wrong in thinking he might be describing blurred vision? Has anyone else experienced this with PANDAS? Our neuro doc says it is "atypical"! One other suggestion was a migraine.

On top of all that he has been really sad today, crying a lot and not wanting to be left alone at all.

I feel like I am totally at a loss with all this right now. It is so scary the way these different symptoms just appear overnight. I am so worried I am giving myself a stomach ache.

:(

My son (13 ) does complain from time to time about blurred vision. It has always been temporary and never present when he goes to the doctors. I will ask him to describe it to me.

Thanks. I appreciate that.

Do you think he has spring allergies? At 4 years old, it could be the first year for him. My boys started experiencing spring allergies right around 4. My daughter, who will be 4 in June, I think is experiencing her first year of spring allergies this year. Not quite sure yet. Her eyes are glazed over, runny nose, etc. I may start her on allergy meds and see if it helps.

Also, if he is sensitive to light, that could cause the eyes to "mist" over. Sensory problems are common in PANDAS kids and sensitivity to light wouldn't be a surprise.

Edited by Vickie

I do not want to set off a fire alarm here, especially when we're all dealing with enough stuff. However, I strongly suggest that you all follow your kids' eye health closely, and it is not a bad idea to get kids who have visual symptoms in for a DILATED eye exam by an ophthalmologist, not an optician. My son, who is in process of being diagnosed, was found to have a retinal disease at age 3 that stole his vision in one eye due to scarring of the retina. I always suspected that the eye disease was due to autoimmune response to chronic infection. This rare disorder, known as Coats' Disease, has never been associated with systemic disease. Strep infection, and chronic inflammatory disease caused by bacteria in general, have been associated with retinal disease. Like I said, I don't want to cause a panic, but with eyes you cannot be too proactive!!

yes, lots of eye problems for twin ds's 5.

Big black ball in his eye

Eye hurts

Feels lik there is an eyelash in eye

Feels like there is "wind" in eyes (both eyes at the same time)

Pulls at his eyes with finger

Tries to "stretch" face to get rid black ball.

Rolls eyes around to try to get rid of eye pain

Worse when in exacerbation for both boys.

Kari

p.s. we were told occular migranes or imagination, until we finally figured out it was PANDAS.

yes, lots of eye problems for twin ds's 5.

Big black ball in his eye

Eye hurts

Feels lik there is an eyelash in eye

Feels like there is "wind" in eyes (both eyes at the same time)

Pulls at his eyes with finger

Tries to "stretch" face to get rid black ball.

Rolls eyes around to try to get rid of eye pain

Worse when in exacerbation for both boys.

Kari

p.s. we were told occular migranes or imagination, until we finally figured out it was PANDAS.

forgot to add that they are both very sensitive to sunlight now too. It "hurts'" their eyes.

My DS7 had eye and hearing test issues last year during exacerbations. This year, no issues. Eye exam at optometrist shows 20/20 with strong healthy eyes.

He used to complain a lot about the lights flickering. Our doctor didn't think it was related to Pandas, but I do.

I agree it should be checked out by an optometrist (just found out my non-pandas dd5 has astigmatisms and needs glasses). But I wouldn't freak. Just one more way to spend some of that extra change in your pocket that you didn't know what to do with...

At the urging of two Occupational Therapists, I took my son to a developmental opthalmologist. She diagnosed him with covergence insufficiency and ocular motor dysfunction. We did vision therapy for 5 months. I saw no improvments. She told me he had 20 20 vision but wanted him to wear the weakest prescription glasses just to see if it would help. He doesnt complain about the glasses so we make him wear them.

I wonder though if any of you have run into this issue. He is dx PDD-NOS since the age of 5. he is 8 now and is so afraid to ride a bike, even with training wheels. he has been doing so well lately behaviorally and now that the weather is getting nicer he is riding his scooter and actually playing baseball with the neighborhood kids. He is really hitting the ball!!! So maybe we will try the bike before we go down hill again. We dont see Dr K until the 31st. Funny thing is that with all this motivation and great behavior, his groin rash is gone!!!!

johnsmom

I do not want to set off a fire alarm here, especially when we're all dealing with enough stuff. However, I strongly suggest that you all follow your kids' eye health closely, and it is not a bad idea to get kids who have visual symptoms in for a DILATED eye exam by an ophthalmologist, not an optician. My son, who is in process of being diagnosed, was found to have a retinal disease at age 3 that stole his vision in one eye due to scarring of the retina. I always suspected that the eye disease was due to autoimmune response to chronic infection. This rare disorder, known as Coats' Disease, has never been associated with systemic disease. Strep infection, and chronic inflammatory disease caused by bacteria in general, have been associated with retinal disease. Like I said, I don't want to cause a panic, but with eyes you cannot be too proactive!!

Don't worry no panic caused. I know exactly what you mean about eyes. I missed a scan appointment for myself to take him to get his eyes checked on Tuesday!

We are waiting for an ophthalmology appointment right now and I will be asking for a dilated exam. Should be in next week or so. He says he can see spots and mistiness now. Otherwise he seems a bit better today.

Sorry to hear about your son. Hope he is doing ok.

Fi

Our son complained of 'floaters' colored spots in his vision, lack of ability to see clearly out of one eye and has uneven dilated pupils. The eye he always points to is the one that is always dilated slightly smaller. I have learned to trust that his physical complaints are real and associated with how sick he was!!!!!

He is 10 weeks post his 3rd high dose IVIG treatment and ALL those complaints are resolving along with the 'super dilated pupils' and uneven dilation.

Hang in there.... I know your worry. Your son is young and properly treated he can recover from these aliments.

-Wendy

:P

Just waiting for ophthalmology appointment now. He has spots in his vision now too. Migraine has been mentioned and he is certainly very anxious right now. Thanks for all the replies.

I took my DD7 to her ophthalmologist this morning because she has been saying on an off for approx 1 month that her eyes are foggy... on Tuesday she was crying that her head was hurting so bad (I had given her mortin approx an hour prior) and she was pointing to an area just above her left eye - and she was saying her eyes were foggy.... on top of this she was have a rocky day behavior wise.... frequent meltdowns and age inappropriate behaviors....

The Dr today found nothing.... ran loads of eye tests.... she had the pupil dialtion test about a month ago when she had her annual check up (she has amblyopia) he said they look great - no swelling and no explanation of what was happening.... and of course he goes on to tell me that he knows of no autoimmunie disorders that cause transient eye problems.... where the symptoms would come and go so quicky - but he did say he would do some research and I of course promised to give him all the information I had on PANDAS.... He did send us home with a graph/chart with dot in center that she has to look at each day/covering each eye to see if she is every missing part of the pic (we are supposed to do this for 3 months! and then go back!)

It is my belief that this is just another symptom... it comes and goes like the other and varies in intensity and frequency....