ACN Latitudes Forums

How does it work - getting scripts from out of state doctors?

I think it depends on what the prescription is for? Antibiotics don't matter, but I think if it's a "controlled substance" like stimulants, pain meds or steroids, the doc needs to be licensed in the state where the script is filled?

Dr. K does prescribe meds (like abx) for our son from out of state. In our home state (MI), an out-of-state doc can prescribe any med, they just can't order administration. So we could get Dr. K to order the Gamunex for us, but we could not get it administered locally without a state-certified doc ordering the administration... and, despite 6 months of searching, we never found anyone willing to order it. Sigh....

With Dr. K, though, he was not comfortable ordering any meds until he had examined our son in person. Makes sense. And - if he has not seen our son in many months and there's a big change in his condition - he has also been uncomfortable writing new scripts. So I think it is awkward for out-of-state practitioners and probably varies quite a bit in terms of what they're willing to prescribe under what circumstances.

Don't you need to be licensed in a state to prescribe there? How are those of you who have out of state doctors getting your prescriptions? I've been wondering about this for a while. Do you need to have in-state contacts to mail them to you?

I tried to get this answer by looking up state rules and such. All I really came up with, was that in prescribing, doctors had to use reasonable judgement and they should actually be patients....of course I didn't look at every state...just the ones in which there were doctors I was interested in seeing.

I think if I were a doctor, I would definitely feel more comfortable if I had met the patient in person to do an exam prior to prescribing.

Of course, I didn't do an extensive search on this, so there may be much more to it.

I'm sure "doctor shopping" for pain killers and such is probably a problem.

We have had no problems filling prescriptions locally from our out of state doctors. We have had several prescriptions for antibiotics and three prescriptions for steroids over the last 1 1/2 years. However, we do travel to see the doctors - the prescriptions are not written as a result of phone consults.

Thanks everyone! This is reassuring. Many years ago, when I moved from NY to CA, I remember that I couldn't get my thyroid medicine right away because they were unable to fill an out of state prescription. I guess that must have either been some strange thing that I don't recall, or else rules have changed since then.

I agree that if I were a physician, I would want to have seen a patient at least once before prescribing, for medicolegal reasons.

Don't you need to be licensed in a state to prescribe there? How are those of you who have out of state doctors getting your prescriptions? I've been wondering about this for a while. Do you need to have in-state contacts to mail them to you?

Thanks everyone! This is reassuring. Many years ago, when I moved from NY to CA, I remember that I couldn't get my thyroid medicine right away because they were unable to fill an out of state prescription. I guess that must have either been some strange thing that I don't recall, or else rules have changed since then.

I agree that if I were a physician, I would want to have seen a patient at least once before prescribing, for medicolegal reasons.

momto2pandas

I had a meeting with Dr Greene today and I told him that I got a referral from a pandas mom I am connected through internet. He had this dazzled expression and mentioned your name( Which I do not know is correct but how many pandas mom are there in Highland?) It was such a beautiful day at Highland and snow cap mountain scenery. Thank you for directing us to Dr. Greene. It saved us so much time and pain.

And yes, You could get prescription from Dr. who does not have California license. I have a sister who is child psychiatrist in DC area and she sometimes prescribe meds for my son and I have never had problems filling them. You can not get triplicate prescription from outer state doctor though.

Thank you