ACN Latitudes Forums

Counting Obsession

Guest Curious

Guest Curious

My friends say its just me and its in my head but whenever I have to turn off a light I have to do it until I get it right...Because I have to count to 3 and I make this little coughing sound. And if I dont do it right I have feelings that something bad will happen. And this isnt just with a lightswitch its with puttin stuff away, shutting doors, putting lids on things, making sure the phone is on the hook. Its really annoying and I need your help, Is this OCD?

I find that some of the same things happen to me as well. I am 16. When I shut a light off and it doesn't make the "right" click noise, i am afraid that the light will start a fire or something or the wires will burn. So i keep doing it until it makes the "right" click noise. I also check things over and over again and its seems to be getting worse. I blink at things a certain amount of times. I also have a problem with keeping things even. A simple example is if i touch something with my right hand, i have to touch it with my left as well. Or if i brush up against a doorway or wall with my left shoulder, I also have to do it with the opposite shoulder. I have never told anyone about my compulsions or habits and have never been diagnosed. Actually, once my friends were talking about OCD and I said i thought i may have it, but they thought I was joking, so i didn't say anything cuz i was already embaressed. I read something on one forum about having strep throught could be linked with OCD. I just found that interesting because I had many strep infections when I was a kid.

Guest curious

I am 16 as well...and yah my counting obsessions are getting really annoying. I have like the same thing as you. And I dont know how to tell my parents. And I was just wondering if you told your parents or if you plan on it...and what would you say to them?

I haven't told my parents yet. I don't know how to tell them either. Ur right though, we pretty much do have the same thing. Have you thought of any ways to tell them?

I did try to tell my mom once but she just kinda didnt care and so I just went along with it. Im really shy when it comes to talking to my parents because I dont know how. And how am I supposed to tell them I have ocd and that I want help for it...I dont know how and I really want help before it gets any worse.

This is crazy! The same exact thing happened to me. I kind of hinted it to my mom, but she thought i was just being paranoid and blew it off. So i just let it go.

Sometimes I think maybe parents notice that I blink in wierd paterns and too much, but I'm not sure. I had an argument with my sister once and I started blinking in crazy patterns. She started imitating them herself and was mocking me. She's younger so she doesn't understand, but I just stayed up in my room for the rest of the day cuz i was so angry.

I feel like a huge weight got lifted off of me knowing that the we r going thru the same stuff. Im still trying to figure a way out to tell my parents. If i think of an easy way, i'll post it.

Yeah well I really want to tell my parents because I really want help. Its gettin worse. But yeah its not something that people should make fun of either. I feel stupid because of what I do. So if you know how to tell your parents post it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bobby & Jenna~ :)

Have either of you thought about talking to a teacher you trust or the school nurse or counselor?

While they might not have any ideas for what treatments, they might be able to help you with some ideas for bringing it up with your parents.

It might also be nice to be "heard" by another adult who can listen to what you're going through and perhaps share something with you that might be helpful for when you talk with your parents.

I'm glad you found this site so you can talk to each other and possibly find some help for you situations.

All the best,

~Mona