ACN Latitudes Forums

Differential CBC

Differential CBC  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Were any of the following elevated beyond normal?

• Neutrophil %
    • Lymphocyte %
    • Monocyte %
    • Eosinophil %
    • Basophil %
    • No
  2. 2. Were any of the following depressed below range?

• Neutrophil %
    • Lymphocyte %
    • Monocyte %
    • Eosinophil %
    • Basophil %
    • No
  3. 3. Where any of the absolute counts out of range?

• Neutrophil count
    • Lymphocyte count
    • Monocyte count
    • Eosinophil count
    • Basophil count
    • No

my son has had 2 CBCs -- one when all began and titers were raised, + strep culture; the other 6 mths later, after 1 30-day course keflex with complete remission, relapse when off, another 30-day course, mild remission -- improvement but maybe 90% --

all values were within normal ranges but there were some differences. dec '08 blood work neutrophils 60%, lymphocytes 25%; jun '09 neutrophils 43%, lymphocytes 42%.

i can't remember now what it means - bacterial vs. viral - ?? i do remember that through my research, it seemed the dec'08, prior to treatment, seemed those values were healthier ratios than the june '09, after treatment, where they are more similar values --??

buster -- can you elaborate about what you said about parasites? thanks.

Hi Folks,

If you've had a differential CBC done on your child -- could you take a quick look at the poll and see if any of the monocytes, lymphocytes, eosinophils were out of range?

Buster

I think I answered the last question wrong. I voted no , that nothing was out of range when I should have checked the EOS. Sorry...

Anyway, results for my son were high EOS, out of range during an exascerbation. Hope that helps.

Unfortunately a diff was not ordered, just a CBC. When he saw the immunologist 2 months after PEX his IgE was 280 which is very elevated. He also had a significant response to the allergy test (so much so that they had to stop it, wipe it off, and give him Allegra). Very interesting.

I find that interesting too.... I'm on a weird research direction looking at the Eosinophil #'s.

Buster

• 1 month later...
I find that interesting too.... I'm on a weird research direction looking at the Eosinophil #'s.

Buster

I replied to this thread a month ago saying that dd6 had mildly high Lymphocytes at 59, with the normal range listed as 30-50. However, I was jut looking at the results again, and it appears that she also had high Eosinophils at 7, with the range being 0-5, and her Neutrophils were low at 29, with the range being 36-60. She was in a major PANDAS exacerbation at the time, with 11 cases of strep in her classroom, but no illness herself that we were aware of. The troubling part of all of this is that at the time of the CBC test, the doctor said everything was normal. Had I not requested the paper copy, I never would have seen these levels were outside of the stated ranges. Why do doctors make no big deal of levels slightly outside the range? Is there a % they like to see it out of the range before calling it abnormal?

What is interesting to me is the Eosinophil level being high as dd was just dx with Eosinophilic Esophagitis 2 weeks ago during an endoscopy (a prodecure her pediatrician told us she didn't need).

Not sure what any of this means....but I just got a call from the Dr regarding my ds4 CBC blood work. (I am mildly concerned that he's showing some PANDAS symptoms that dd showed for years before we knew what was going on with her.) I haven't seen the paper copy yet, but they said the only thing slightly out of range was that his Eosinophil level was a little high. He has no known allergies.

• 6 months later...

Ugh, don't know how I screwed this up! I looked over several years of labs (until recently I'd say she has been in exacerbation) and I'd never noticed before, but her lymphocytes are consistently high. They are only slightly out of range. Everything else is normal. Absolutes are all in range. For some reason, I checked neutrophils instead of lymphocytes on the poll- dang! Trying to do too many things at one time, I guess.