ACN Latitudes Forums

The Center for Head and Facial Movement Disorders?

I was researching treatment options for TMJ and I came across http://www.headaches.com. I noticed that they have a section entitled, "Movement Disorders, "Nervous Twitches", Tics, and Tourette's Syndrome" which can be found at http://www.headaches.com/movement_disorders.htm. It includes a short video and a message saying that no fee is charged if you do not see a temporary reduction in tics during the visit. The information for this doctor's technique is further expanded on http://www.movementdisordersusa.com

The office is located in North Jersey close to New York City which I live about 80 miles from. The doctor's name is Ira M. Klemons. I am really considering making an appointment to get my head tic looked at. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this doctor or if they have heard of the method used which is explained in detail on the movementdisorderusa.com site? Any information would be great as I am still deciding whether or not this would be worthwhile. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Spartan32

Hi Spartan :blink:

I am not sure if you have read some of the threads here about a group of dentists who also feel that tics etc may be caused by TMJ problems

I have no doubt that this may be the case in some people with TS/tics

my only concern is when the physicians claim that this is the case for all or when they claim they can "eliminate

TS"

It just seems to add a hype factor to what may in fact be a viable treatment for some

I am also a bit cautious about what the site you linked says re you wont pay of you have a "temporary" ceasing of tics "during the consultation"

what does that mean if or when the tics come back later?

so yes, where I can certainly see that orthopedic triggers for tics exist (my own son was always *temporarily* helped (not "cured" ) by NUCCA chiropracty) I would just be cautious about spending a lot of money for something that may not be of long term help, or that you will have to keep paying out for. That is not to say that perhaps they may be able to give you permanent relief. But just check into it all very carefully IMHO

Edited by Chemar

Hi Spartan :)

I am not sure if you have read some of the threads here about a group of dentists who also feel that tics etc may be caused by TMJ problems

I have no doubt that this may be the case in some people with TS/tics

my only concern is when the physicians claim that this is the case for all or when they claim they can "eliminate

TS"

It just seems to add a hype factor to what may in fact be a viable treatment for some

I am also a bit cautious about what the site you linked says re you wont pay of you have a "temporary" ceasing of tics "during the consultation"

what does that mean if or when the tics come back later?

so yes, where I can certainly see that orthopedic triggers for tics exist (my own son was always *temporarily* helped (not "cured" ) by NUCCA chiropracty) I would just be cautious about spending a lot of money for something that may not be of long term help, or that you will have to keep paying out for. That is not to say that perhaps they may be able to give you permanent relief. But just check into it all very carefully IMHO

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely very skeptical about anyone claims to eliminate TS. It appears that they use a method to reduce the tics temporarily in the office by "At the initial screening evaluation, we gently and painlessly decrease pressure on the appropriate structures by applying appropriate finger pressure and by placing and adjusting a specially constructed device in the patient’s mouth." They claim that if this works, then they will "Following the patient’s authorization we complete the examination and provide custom-made KONDA™ Movement Disorder orthopedic devices to maintain the decreased pressure."

So it looks like they are claiming that this device will be the permanent option. This is all new to me so I am attempting to find out as much as I can but there does not seem to be much additional information on this method and device.

I was researching treatment options for TMJ and I came across http://www.headaches.com. I noticed that they have a section entitled, "Movement Disorders, "Nervous Twitches", Tics, and Tourette's Syndrome" which can be found at [url=http://www.headaches.com/movement_disorders.htm]http://www.headaches.com/moveme

Yeah, but let's not forget that for most people, simply going to the doctor's office will temporarily suppress tics.

Mine lessen by about 90% when I go to the doctor or the dentist (I like it, and I jokingly tell my doctor that our visit can last as long as he wants because I enjoy the relief from the reduction in tics, lol. I also brought a video of myself ticcing once so the doctor could see what actually goes on when I'm not in the office), and from everything I've heard and read, so do most other people's. I've heard it annoys parents whose kids have TS but the symptoms all disappear when they go to the doctor.

So, by saying there's no fee if tics are suppressed during the visit... well they probably get suppressed regardless during the visit anyway.

Not saying this stuff doesn't work, because I have no idea.

I'm just saying.

Edited by guy123

• 2 years later...

Did you learn more information about the center for head and facial movement disorder since your original post in 2010?

My son is 8yrs old and he has very loud vocal tics.

He is on a gluten free, casein free, MSG, AF and color free diet but unfortunately it's not currently making any positive changes.

He is also taking fish oil, magnesium/calcium/zinc, vitamin D drop and iron.

His tics are frequent and intense. And I'm back on the hunt feverishly trying to see what I can do to help calm his body or reduce the frequency and or intensity.

This past week, he ticced for 90 minutes before he was able to finally sleep. The vocal tics kept waking him up just as he was about to drift.

Any information on the center for head and facial movement disorder aside from the info online is appreciated.

Did you learn more information about the center for head and facial movement disorder since your original post in 2010?

My son is 8yrs old and he has very loud vocal tics.

He is on a gluten free, casein free, MSG, AF and color free diet but unfortunately it's not currently making any positive changes.

He is also taking fish oil, magnesium/calcium/zinc, vitamin D drop and iron.

His tics are frequent and intense. And I'm back on the hunt feverishly trying to see what I can do to help calm his body or reduce the frequency and or intensity.

This past week, he ticced for 90 minutes before he was able to finally sleep. The vocal tics kept waking him up just as he was about to drift.

Any information on the center for head and facial movement disorder aside from the info online is appreciated.

I never ended up scheduling an appointment and never did any additional research. Sorry to hear about your son and I hope you find some relief for him.