ACN Latitudes Forums

Whoever invented DST didn't have children!

Did anyone else have a rough time last night? Our PANDAS son (2) had a wonderful week last week, only 2 bad days at school, no major rages, just some increased OCD symptoms but overall a great week. Even had a wonderful day Saturday, going out for a St Patty's dinner with about a dozen other couples and a whole mess of kids 5 and under and he was a perfect angel!

Yesterday was a good day too, up until bed time when my exorcist baby came out. FULL ON RAGE! Throwing things, hurling himself against the bedposts, whole 9 yards. Fortunately my 3 year old was already in bed, and didn't have to deal with it.

After 3 hours, we finally got him to the point where he was still raging, but wasn't getting out of bed or afraid he'd hurt himself we left him in bed to "rage" himself to sleep - which he did after about 20 miinutes.

I felt horrible about it, especially after all of the progress we've so recently made. I'm attributing it to Daylight Savings Time and his whole bedtime being "off"

Anyone else see this type of thing with their child?

Yes, DST stinks in our house, too!

DS13 barely slept last night, though he's been sleeping very well for the last several months. I will say that Sunday nights are usually the toughest, though, so even though we tried to rouse him earlier yesterday, just so going to bed last night would be less of a struggle, I could hear him tossing around for at least an hour after "lights out." Then he was up at 3:30 going to the bathroom, I heard him again at about 5:00 a.m., and then when I went to turn his light on at 6 a.m. (standard school-day wake-up time), he sprang up out of his bed, wide awake. Scared the life outta me! :)

At least he was in a good mood this morning and got off to school okay (thanks abx!). But I would unfortunately lay money on some struggles if not a full-blown meltdown this afternoon, when he runs out of gas toward the end of the school day.

My non-PANDAS daughter was a pill at bedtime too, but it was more about how she wasn't tired yet (understandable since bedtime was an hour earlier to her - even though we did let them stay up half hour later to split the difference).

My son didn't want anything to do with getting up this morning, he was OUT COLD! When we finally did get him going, I was all nerves because when he's tired his sypmtoms tend to be at their worst. I was surprised to see him not be too cranky. He was a little quiet at first but actually let me get him dressed without too much of a struggle (usually a big ordeal for us), and by the time we loaded up into the car he was in a fine mood. Drop off at school and breakfast were also well above average (breakfast and drop off are two of our biggest OCD times).

But anyone who doesn't believe that PANDAS exists and that my son is just going through his terrible 2's needs to look no further than our house last night at bedtime!

Glad to hear we weren't the only ones!

it seems to affect so many people negatively (not just those with illness either) that I wonder why they still do it...I can understand the need back then but why do they still do it now??

there are reports about lost productivity etc related to the loss of the hour as well

I just dont see the purpose for it anymore :)

it seems to affect so many people negatively (not just those with illness either) that I wonder why they still do it...I can understand the need back then but why do they still do it now??

there are reports about lost productivity etc related to the loss of the hour as well

I just dont see the purpose for it anymore :)

ITA! I wish it would be done away with. It's worse for my kids when it gets dark again. They ask over and over "why is it dark?" "what time is it?" "why do they do that?" why, why??? They seem very affected by the changes in light. This year they seemed to roll with it much easier but they are very tired.

Susan

Last year, when the time change occurred and my son was in a PANDAS exacerbation, we fought every night why he needed to get pajamas on before it was dark. Well, it now doesn't get dark until about 9pm. I find myself closing all curtains and trying my best to hide the sun. I think I'm going to buy lined blackout curtains for the kids' bedrooms this year.

I hate it too.. most years. This year, melatonin saved us. It's like I've drugged my kids. They can't keep their eyes open.. I almost feel bad about doing it 'cos it works so well, like I've slipped them a mickey finn :)

The years I fought my dd to sleep, taking well over an hour each night until she was 3 or so. If I'd have known then about melatonin, I'm sure I'd have less grey hair, be less stressed and less fat :P

I'm buying shares....

I hate it too.. most years. This year, melatonin saved us. It's like I've drugged my kids. They can't keep their eyes open.. I almost feel bad about doing it 'cos it works so well, like I've slipped them a mickey finn :)

The years I fought my dd to sleep, taking well over an hour each night until she was 3 or so. If I'd have known then about melatonin, I'm sure I'd have less grey hair, be less stressed and less fat :)

I'm buying shares....

I agree! In our case, the melatonin got him to sleep . . . it just didn't keep him there. :P

We should buy stock, too! Ever since putting DS on it and seeing what a change it made in getting him knocked out quicker every night, DH and I have been taking it, too. IMHO, works better than Benedryl! :D

The years I fought my dd to sleep, taking well over an hour each night until she was 3 or so. If I'd have known then about melatonin, I'm sure I'd have less grey hair, be less stressed and less fat :)

I'm buying shares....

I agree! In our case, the melatonin got him to sleep . . . it just didn't keep him there. :P

We should buy stock, too! Ever since putting DS on it and seeing what a change it made in getting him knocked out quicker every night, DH and I have been taking it, too. IMHO, works better than Benedryl! :D

Boy, I thought it was just us. When will I learn that it is rarely "just us" experiencing anything. A good hour of flipping and turning in his bed despite melatonin and ocd behaviors (checking dates and other contamination fears) highly increased today. There is a baseline of anxiety present in him that simply has not been so pronounced for a couple weeks. I spread his omegabrite caps out throughout the day and he's just about to have his second one...number 3's coming up asap!

Btw, we've been using melatonin for years with success but wow, do the lozenges act quicker than the pills. We use KAL brand, 5mg lozenge. This is actually a mg less than the pills we were taking and work quicker!

I am really interested in the melatonin losenges. Does anyone use them for young children (mine are 6 and 9) I looked on amazon and the first thing it said was anyone with an autoimmune condition please consult a doctor first. Any thoughts?

My little one slept until 10 am today (let her stay home from school).

I am really interested in the melatonin losenges. Does anyone use them for young children (mine are 6 and 9) I looked on amazon and the first thing it said was anyone with an autoimmune condition please consult a doctor first. Any thoughts?

My little one slept until 10 am today (let her stay home from school).

I have used Source Naturals 2.5 mg peppermint sublingual melatinin for my girls for years. They are now 7 and 8 but we started when they were much younger and worked our way up to 2.5 mg. Our neurologist, immunologist and Ped all know we use it and all say it's safe. For me, it totally saved my life early on since my two could not wind down or settle down to go to sleep.

Susan