ACN Latitudes Forums

Spring allergies

I just want to remind some of the newer people that allergies can be a trigger for PANDAS symptoms. I think Spring allergies are going to hit earlier this year. So if you see an increase in symptoms and you know it's not strep, determine if allergies are surfacing. Lats year, interestingly, my son's PANDAS kicked up a week BEFORE he had physical signs of allergies. That was at a time when no one was really talking about allergies being a possible trigger and I finally figured it out on my own. That was a very nerve wrecking time. For him, once I got the allergies under control, I saw his PANDAS symptoms calm down again.

As for allergy meds, the only one I've seen with red flags on here across the board is Singulair. Otherwise, it varies with each child. For my child, Claritin worked at first, but on day 11 made him very hyper. For him, Benadryl is the med of choice. He only gets tired on day 1. But then I know other kids that get hyper on Benadryl. So, be aware that you can also have reactions from different meds and it may be trial and error in that.

I just want to remind some of the newer people that allergies can be a trigger for PANDAS symptoms. I think Spring allergies are going to hit earlier this year. So if you see an increase in symptoms and you know it's not strep, determine if allergies are surfacing. Lats year, interestingly, my son's PANDAS kicked up a week BEFORE he had physical signs of allergies. That was at a time when no one was really talking about allergies being a possible trigger and I finally figured it out on my own. That was a very nerve wrecking time. For him, once I got the allergies under control, I saw his PANDAS symptoms calm down again.

As for allergy meds, the only one I've seen with red flags on here across the board is Singulair. Otherwise, it varies with each child. For my child, Claritin worked at first, but on day 11 made him very hyper. For him, Benadryl is the med of choice. He only gets tired on day 1. But then I know other kids that get hyper on Benadryl. So, be aware that you can also have reactions from different meds and it may be trial and error in that.

Vickie - Thanks for the reminder. My son has strong allergy triggers and spring pollens usually result in difficulty with focus. In addition to meds, I need to remember environmental modifications - vacuum the floor, don't wear shoes inside, shower before bed, keep bedroom windows closed... anything to keep the pollen from spreading through the house.

Vickie, I missed the posts on Singulair. Why is it a red flag and thanks for that bit of info. I have given it to my son in the past but will switch to Claritin.

Vickie, I missed the posts on Singulair. Why is it a red flag and thanks for that bit of info. I have given it to my son in the past but will switch to Claritin.

I know for me personally, when I took singulair a couple of weeks ago for the first time, it gave me indigestion, headaches, a cough, tightness in the chest like it was hard to breathe. For the kids, I believe it has been reported that it can cause behavor changes (not for the better!). My dd has taken it and I have not noticed anything but the list of side effects (google.com) makes me nervous so we just use zyrtec and benadryl and also nasal sprays like nasonex.

Susan

I know in NC where we live, spring has sprung! All of a sudden the trees are bursting with blooms and you know we are an allergic family! Strep is everywhere here now so it's hard to know but I'm sure allergies are affecting us here too. My Uncle is a family doc and he said he's seeing 3-4 patients a day with strep right now which is very high from the norm.

Susan

I'll look for the posts that singled out Singulair.It's one of those things that I read more than once that their kids didn't do well. When it's one or two kids I leave in the mindset that everyone reacts different, but when I read it over and over...I don't take chances.

I actually get to have the day without kids today! So I will find links to back up that statement tonight or tomorrow.

Also, not all negative reactions happen right away. So, mark on the calendar the day you started and just be watchful. If you do Sigulair, that's up to you. Just keep watchful and know if negative things start to pop up (also PANDAS wise, not classic allergic reactions as stated on the box) the allergy meds might be part of the problem.

Like with son and Claritin. It didn't even occur to me that's why he was so hyper on day 11 of use. I thought PANDAS was kicking back up. Some OCD kicked up too. Pushing the chair over and over and not being able to get it even at a family party. That was fun.Then my sister told me some kids get hyper on it. I had my lightbulb moment an switched that day. She was right.

I should add that my was also prescribed Flonase when he had his sinus infection. He did fine on that. Susan, I believe it was your daughter that developed a nose bleed, right? The only thing with nasal steroids is I read even though they are more local they can eventually lower the immune system. So, I keep it on hand but don't use it daily.

I also once read that taking a steroid at night is better for the immune system than taking it in the morning. Anyone ever read that?

I will echo Vicki's experience with clariton. We use zyrtec. Ran out one day and sent my son to school with clariton. Had a phone call within 2 hours about hyperactivity. Thankfully, the school was wonderful and I promised never to try it again. My allergist told me something about claritin and using corn in the processing... I'll ask her what it was when I see her next week. Anyway, we've been a zyrtc family ever since and we give it at night since it can make him a little sleepy.

We also use asetlin spray from time to time, which is an antihistimine nasal spray. It does make him very sleepy, so we limit it to just before bed, but it does provide relief when oral antihistimines alone are not enough. I also have bad allergines, and have the same resoponse with asetlin.

Wow....about the corn. Corn is an inflammatory. But then, corn is in almost everything. So if can knowingly limit it, it's a good idea.

You can also use a saline nasal spray to try to get out any pollen that may be in their nose. Has anyone tried that allergy blocker that you can put in the child's nose? I've seen it but haven't read ingredients.

Vicki - I love your posts! yes - saline spray is great and so is a netti pot if you can get the kid to use it. My son does use it, but only when he is REALLY stuffy. When I remember to use it I always feel better afterward.

Wow....about the corn. Corn is an inflammatory. But then, corn is in almost everything. So if can knowingly limit it, it's a good idea.

You can also use a saline nasal spray to try to get out any pollen that may be in their nose. Has anyone tried that allergy blocker that you can put in the child's nose? I've seen it but haven't read ingredients.

Allergies are DS9's biggest problem. I used the Little Allergies gel on him for the first time last spring/summer and I feel like it helped. I like it because it's so easy just to rub it around the nose before he goes outside. You're supposed to reapply it every 4-6 hours. He has really strong allergies to practically every pollen he's been tested for. What I'd really like to do is put a mask on him when he goes out, but I know he won't do it!! This gel feels kind of like a 'virtual' mask!! He also has a Claritin Reditab each morning. I tried Zyrtec with him at night - his older brother takes it successfully for his allergies - but it didn't help DS9 at all. I just started using the gel again this year. He's been taking the Claritin since January - we're on the West coast and the pollen count started rising very early this year as we've had such mild weather.

Allergies are DS9's biggest problem. I used the Little Allergies gel on him for the first time last spring/summer and I feel like it helped. I like it because it's so easy just to rub it around the nose before he goes outside. You're supposed to reapply it every 4-6 hours. He has really strong allergies to practically every pollen he's been tested for. What I'd really like to do is put a mask on him when he goes out, but I know he won't do it!! This gel feels kind of like a 'virtual' mask!! He also has a Claritin Reditab each morning. I tried Zyrtec with him at night - his older brother takes it successfully for his allergies - but it didn't help DS9 at all. I just started using the gel again this year. He's been taking the Claritin since January - we're on the West coast and the pollen count started rising very early this year as we've had such mild weather.

Wow! I've never heard of this gel, but it just looked it up and I will be trying it this year for both my son and myself. Thanks!

Here's a couple of threads about allergy meds. I saw Singulair mentioned in a few other threads but didn't post them because it would be one post out a handful on another topic, but they did say their child did better after stopping it. You can search "allergy meds" to get more results.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...hl=allergy+meds

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...hl=allergy+meds

I know two parents that have given their kids Singulair and both noticed an increase of hyperactivity and night terrors. I actually talked to our pharmasist and asked about side affects and she mentioned her neighbors daughter had very bad night terrors. A friend of mine said her son woke up crying and that she could not get him to stop for a 1/2 hour. When he woke up in the morning he would not remember doing it the first time but after it happened a couple of times he finally told her he has very scary nightmares.

Mar